• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken BB58 - Did anyone already tried?

crashuid

Certified
17/12/19
London
I have bought a ZF BB58 Black dial and I was thinking about going the franken route has I have done with a few rolexes.
I have seen been sold around gen dials and inserts and I was wondering if anyone ever tried to swap ZF components by gen ones and how did it go?

I tried to look around in the forum but without any luck. Thanks.

f4bi4n

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/12/22
G
I have bought a ZF BB58 Black dial and I was thinking about going the franken route has I have done with a few rolexes.
I have seen been sold around gen dials and inserts and I was wondering if anyone ever tried to swap ZF components by gen ones and how did it go?

I tried to look around in the forum but without any luck. Thanks.
No but I would be interested as well :D

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
I know some people had swapped bezel on gmts w no issues

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
I have a gen insert and pip in mine, the pip on ZF isn't good but man the ZF insert just looks better aesthetically. I find the gold markers on the gen insert to be very dull.

Where have you seen gen 58 dials for sale? I've been looking and have only seen dials for the original blackbay.

Reactions: f4bi4n

crashuid

Certified
17/12/19
London
I have a gen insert and pip in mine, the pip on ZF isn't good but man the ZF insert just looks better aesthetically. I find the gold markers on the gen insert to be very dull.

Where have you seen gen 58 dials for sale? I've been looking and have only seen dials for the original blackbay.
Someone is selling here in the forum.... Now that I think abiut it... This is a 3.5K and used maybe 2 5k watch... Spending 1k in a new insert doesn't make sense...

Reactions: HomeRye and f4bi4n

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
Someone is selling here in the forum.... Now that I think abiut it... This is a 3.5K and used maybe 2 5k watch... Spending 1k in a new insert doesn't make sense...
Wth whos charging a grand for this insert

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
1k for a gen BB58 BEZEL INSERT???

I think I payed like no more than 200 shipped new in blister with the lume pip included/attached for mine, wtf are they smoking

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
I’m planning a light franken BB 58 red - gen nato strap, gen insert, swiss eta 2824. Should be dine in 2 weeks. I will post rep / gen photos when gen insert arrives.

Reactions: jp3007_1

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
So I finished the light franken BB 58 red - ZF baseline, gen insert and pearl, swiss eta 2824, gen nato strap. Actually the ZF insert is not bad compared with the gen - a bit darker and less shiny. Font is perfect on the ZF. If anyone has an access to othe gen parts like hands or dial, please let me know :)

jp3007_1

Supporter
Certified
17/10/18
Cool! Really like how this turned out.

Didn't think the insert of a 41 would fit on the 58. A ZF BB58 with gen dial and ETA would be sooo awesome though.

Reactions: Got20Mate

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
Trying to get gen dial and /or hands for last 6 months. No luck… if anyone has one, pls let me know :)

Reactions: jp3007_1

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
Cool! Really like how this turned out.

Didn't think the insert of a 41 would fit on the 58. A ZF BB58 with gen dial and ETA would be sooo awesome though.
the crown tube is colored so its not a 58, please dont buy a 41 insert thinking itll fit a BB58! Fairly sure he's just confused the 58 and 41/Heritage

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
So I finished the light franken BB 58 red - ZF baseline, gen insert and pearl, swiss eta 2824, gen nato strap. Actually the ZF insert is not bad compared with the gen - a bit darker and less shiny. Font is perfect on the ZF. If anyone has an access to othe gen parts like hands or dial, please let me know :)

Sorry for any confusion - to make it clear - this is a ZF 79220 red light franken and the gen insert comes from the gen 79230

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
hmmm, this would complete a pretty convincing franken with the gen insert+pip i have but honestly after wearing it for this long I've realized the dial isnt that much of an issue for me.

ZF base watch $288
Gen insert and lume pip $233
Gen dial $711 after shipping
Plus hand relume assuming a perfect match can even be realistically achieved
Roughly $250 for a genuine ETA when the chinese clone eventually stops working
At that point I reckon it'd be more worthwhile to just put that money towards a gen example, they can be found for as low as $2500 nowadays

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
hmmm, this would complete a pretty convincing franken with the gen insert+pip i have but honestly after wearing it for this long I've realized the dial isnt that much of an issue for me.

ZF base watch $288
Gen insert and lume pip $233
Gen dial $711 after shipping
Plus hand relume assuming a perfect match can even be realistically achieved
Roughly $250 for a genuine ETA when the chinese clone eventually stops working
At that point I reckon it'd be more worthwhile to just put that money towards a gen example, they can be found for as low as $2500 nowadays
Reading this highlights just how it can be worth it to save a little and go for the gen, unless you just want to make a few changes like a dial or similar. Fascinating read, thanks for the update.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I have a gen bb58. I thought about buying a ZF bb58 and transplanting the gen internals (movement, dial, and hands) with the gen stem and crown into the rep case/ bracelet. This is so that I can leave the gen case/ bracelet in pristine condition while I can wear the franken as rough as I want.

If i pursue this, I will update this thread.

crashuid

Certified
17/12/19
London
I have a gen bb58. I thought about buying a ZF bb58 and transplanting the gen internals (movement, dial, and hands) with the gen stem and crown into the rep case/ bracelet. This is so that I can leave the gen case/ bracelet in pristine condition while I can wear the franken as rough as I want.

Wow...that's an interesting perpective...

Reactions: wizardblizzardwatch

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Agreed, this is a pretty impressive approach!
Impressive is right word?

restandrelaxation

Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland

What a brilliant idea 💡👏