• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

High-end Tag Quartz Rep: Assistance Requested

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
Hi folks. I've read By-Tor's reviews and there are some outstanding Tag-reps out there. But I'm looking for a higher-end Tag rep w/Quartz movement? Any suggestions? I'm not looking for a dealer but recommendations for the best rep-to-gen quality of Tags that are produced in Quartz movement. Thanks.

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
how about a BR03-88 not a tag but 10000000000000 times as good ;)

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
In the rep world, usually quartz goes with a lower level of finishing... There are some exceptions.

For the Tag Heuer, only few watches are replicas of genuine quartz watches, you find more quartz reps auf automatics.

There are 2 models however which have existed for a while and seem to be of acceptable quality : the Golf series and the Formula1 series.
http://www.replicamake.com/index.php?cPath=131_261
http://www.marvellousreplica.com/Product_Detail.aspx?ProductID=201008300011

To be honest, I like the Aquaracer quartz series, but the gen come with an automatic movement.

@Smidsy : different people, different tastes, members do not have to always buy B@R and Breitling.

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
:whistle: but it's probably the best quartz watch out atm.....

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Tag F1 hands down. It even uses a lower grade of the same ETA MVT as the gen.
Since the gen is also quartz it's the perfect quartz rep and is very close to the gen in all respects.

Col.

opus5

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/10
If im not wrong a TAG F1 uses a G10 chrono.. its very unlikely you will find a 1:1 rep of any watch... i have owned an F1 for a while now but have never seen a 1:1 rep for it.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Did I say chrono?

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
The F1 I linked to has a G10 movement and sapphire crystal. Rare indeed.

@Smidsy : it's just not the OP's question :)

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
Thank you to those who responded. It would appear that the Formula 1 is as close to gen as it's going to get and that seems to follow By-Tor's review as well. I don't expect 1:1 but very close is very good. I'm happy with my Carrera 7750 and wanted a Tag Quartz that Tag actually produces. Very grateful for your comments. -Jake

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
I just had a look at the BR03-88, absolutely amazing. Thank you for the suggestion. This might actually do the trick and I wasn't even thinking about BR! Wow.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Smidsy strikes again... :)

ugoderosa

Renowned Member
12/9/10
Watch Eden sells some quartz versions of some Grand Carrera models that use the watch band, cases and some other parts used in the more expensive 7750 versions. They are around $160 or so. The caseback is obviously different than the gen, but otherwise they look pretty darn good.

I have two of these higher-end quartz Grand Carrera models from WE and I am very happy with the quality. I believe the 7750 Grand Carreras are very tricky to work on and as a result, some trusted watch repair persons on this site charge $250+ just for a service on a 7750 Grand Carrera. That is why I opted for quartz. It sounds like you are after reps of gen TAG quartz models, so the Grand Carreras may not be to your liking.

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
Watch Eden sells some quartz versions of some Grand Carrera models that use the watch band, cases and some other parts used in the more expensive 7750 versions. They are around $160 or so. The caseback is obviously different than the gen, but otherwise they look pretty darn good.

I have two of these higher-end quartz Grand Carrera models from WE and I am very happy with the quality. I believe the 7750 Grand Carreras are very tricky to work on and as a result, some trusted watch repair persons on this site charge $250+ just for a service on a 7750 Grand Carrera. That is why I opted for quartz. It sounds like you are after reps of gen TAG quartz models, so the Grand Carreras may not be to your liking.

Thanks Ugoderosa, you're right about my seeking the higher-end rep, but you're also right about my wanting a quartz rep of an actual quartz watch that Tag produces. Formula 1 (or the amazing BR which Smidsy recommended) may be what I'm after in terms of quartz. Except the BR is like 518.00.

tflgee

1/9/09
Quite a few of the gen aquaracers are quartz and there are some reps of them. Even the new Aquaracer 500M is avail as a gen with a quartz movement.

I just ordered this
http://timeshops.net/product.php?id_product=3643

The gen has an electro-mechanical "hybrid" quartz movement what ever the hell that is. The ad says it has a 21J but that's an error according to Mark it comes with a quartz movement. This rep supposedly has the higher quality 7750 case. We shall see when it gets here. The problem with most quartz reps is not the quartz movement, it's all the other bits. They do tend to be less accurate and less refined than the higher end reps. Hopefully this one is better. I already noticed some differences in the dial. The gen has more square hour markers on the lower portion where as the rep has more triangular markers. The black chrono outine is also shorter on the top end than the gen. So it's definitely not a perfect rep but I will need to wait until I have it to really compare it to the gen.

Here's a good site to check out the entire Tag watch line quickly

http://www.redfingerprint.com/watches_list.php/TAG_Heuer/

jakeslatnesky

31/7/10
Aquaracer Quartz Chrono is very cool and for the prices, (under 100.00), it seems like a very good rep. I guess I don't need to necessarily pay more for a decent quality rep after all. Thanks also for the above link. It's a great resource for knowing what Tag produces.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
This link helps a lot indeed, it made me realize that the Aquaracer 500m does come in quartz too.
Too bad the reps are bad, due to a simple lack of knowledge from the manufacturers : they have all to do a great inexpensive rep, but the quartz reps just keep on mentionning Caliber 5, and an orange seconds hand is missing.
Besides, and this is not new, the gen never comes with a white dial, it's silver.
We're not far from it...