• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[First Look] TAG Heuer SLR Chronograph

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Preface
I got this watch from a trade just a few weeks ago. This watch was introduced quite a while ago to the rep world but didn't really get the spotlight it deserves.

Tag Heuer is a brand that is well known worldwide, probably due to agressive marketing strategy. It is part of LVMH Group which includes Zenith and Dior just to name a few.
Nevertheless, many of its model are shunned by watch afficionados. This is perhaps due to quartz movement powering almost all Tag Heuer watches. This trend has not changed till today. Despite Tag's effort to introduce new collections based on mechanical movement (i.e.: Grand Carrera line) and also a few gems in the collection (powered by the mighty El Primero based movement, Tag cal 36), the brand image hasn't really bulged most watch connoisseurs.

Well... They may be wrong. I like Tag Heuer watches. Infact my first replica watch is a crappy Link Chronograph with quartz movement. Not an accurate rep at all.

Things have changed for us in the rep world. A few years ago the rep makers introduced the Link replica with high beat Asian 7750 (this watch is among the very first watch powered by this movement). This marks the dawn of a new era of Tag Heuer replica (infact the dawn of rep golden age). I eventually got a Link Chronograph with mushroom grey dial but I sold it later on. It's a very fine time piece, well made with only a couple flaws (lume and datewheel). The rest are spot on. At later time, the Carrera chronograph was introduced alongside with many other quartz based replica (a few are really accurate like the Golf Tiger Woods edition).

There are many new models from other more "respected" brands. This somewhat overshadows the significance of Tag Heuer replica.

Now, in this review, I would like to promote awareness that Tag replica watches are worth considering. So let's begin!

The Watch
It's none other than a limited edition out of 3500 pieces Mercedes Benz SLR Chronograph made by Tag Heuer. The genuine uses calibre 17 (some internet searches result in ETA2894-2 based, some ETA7750).
Well... the more likely answer is ETA2894-2 based because of running second at 3 o'clock position and 30 minutes counter at 9 o'clock position and slightly higher chrono pusher. However, I am still puzzled by subdial spacing. This movement usually exhibits closer subdial spacing than the usual 775x based movement. Comparing it with the genuine article, this is clearly not the case. In short, the watch is very accurate in terms of appearance.

The specification of this watch is as follow:
Movement: Asian 7750 modified with running second at 3 o'clock, low beat, with regulator. Chronograph central second counter and 30 minutes subdial counter.
Case: Stainless Steel
Crystal: Sapphire, flat, double sided AR coated.
Bezel: Ceramic bezel (I was surprised at first, thought it was PVD but it isn't).
Bracelet: Stainless Steel brushed.

The Movement
This is probably the biggest deal breaker for those prospective buyers of this watch. However, this mindset has to change. The movement maker has improved the low beat Asian 7750 on this piece. It's now much cleaner, lubricated and second at 3 has similar construction to Blackbird higher beat movement (i.e. jeweled). The best part is, the regulator is working. So, you can have my words, this should not be a problematic movement.
Time keeping wise, it's about 20 seconds fast per day without any adjustment. I was able to bring it down to +2 seconds per day by using the fine adjuster.

The Crystal
AR coating is of course not as good as aftermarket AR but it's definitely a big plus on this watch. It's double sided coated sapphire crystal.

The Tachymeter Bezel
What a big surprise for such a subtle watch. This comes with real ceramic bezel. Look at the ceramic engraving (grey colour not white). It's not painted so the bezel won't fade off. I used the usual test by scratching it using my key. Metal bits were left on the bracelet, easily washed. Not a single scratch left.

The Inner Rotating Bezel
Like the genuine article, this a bidirectional inner rotating bezel. Very smooth like Navitimer's bezel but hard enough not to be turned accidentally. The triangle mark is also lumed but not so perfect here this can be fixed).

The Case
Stainless Steel brushed, polished.
A very nice combo. This watch is not meant to be a Breitling for Bentley GT bling. Solidly constructed, has a nice heft on it and doesn't have any sharp edges. Even the chronograph pushers are well machined. My yardstick of measuring: it's sharp enough but won't be able to cause injuries.

The Dial
Circular pattern on the dial with polished marks. Lume applied is pretty decent and even. However, it's nothing like the real SuperLuminova C1 (like the gen). Both hands are also lumed but they don't glow brightly.
There is a big upside on this area. This watch comes with correct datefont (ETA font). This is definitely the case as in genuine article.

The Caseback
Engraved with proper wordings but has not had the chance to compare with the genuine article. It is written properly xxx/3500

The Bracelet
Brushed stainless steel bracelet compliments this watch well. It consists of 5 links part with push pin adjustment (unlike Omega Seamaster bracelet, this one is pretty easy to adjust). The non flat design is pretty unique, giving the watch one of a kind look. The clasp is also engraved with Tag Heuer branding and doesn't have any sharp parts.

The Verdict
Let's have the verdict first and the pictures later.

Strap and clasp: (max. 10 points)
Nothing to complain here. Easy to adjust, seems clean and flexible at the join. Add a nice weight to the watch.

Operation: (10)
Flawless chronograph function, working inner rotating bezel.

Case: (10)
Very well made case, sharply cut and well define just like the genuine article. Caseback engraving is done very well too without "unfinished" part. Engraving looks deep enough. The real ceramic bezel is just crème de la crème

Design: (15)
Robust design with an extra crown to adjust the inner rotating bezel. It carries Mercedes Benz wording and SLR badge. May deter many but isn't this what we are looking for from a branded watch?

Legibility: (10)
After reluming, I will give it full mark but stock lume on this rep is not good at all (i.e.: mediocre).

Wearing comfort: (15)
Comfortable to wear despite its weight. Perhaps for small wrister, you may consider the rubber strap model too.

Movement: (20)
Low Beat Asian 7750 but with this modification and improved cleanliness this movement should last long. A truly rare movement in the rep world.

Overall value: (10)
This is gotten from a trade with a Breitling Avenger Skyland. I think the value on this watch is pretty good. Retailing at low 200 USD from most dealers.

I would give this watch 83/100. A rare mark in my gradebook.

Well done Tag repper. You did a great job this time round.

Pictures will be posted later.

shundi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/12/07
Thanks for the review Taka...highly in-depth and I can't wait to see your photos!!

I'm glad they got the inner bezel working and I'm also glad to see that the low-beat A7750 has been installed properly... I've noticed a marked difference in QC in the last few years and hopefully we'll continue to see the Chinese master QC so they can start creating new movements / modules!!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
You are most welcome Shundi. Here are the pictures:
P2173713.jpg

P2173720.jpg

P2173732.jpg

P2173739.jpg

P2173763.jpg

P2173783.jpg

P2173818.jpg

P2173835.jpg

P2173838.jpg

P2173854.jpg

P2173870.jpg

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
nice review as always taka......but no watch for me :D :D :D

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
nice looking watch & great review

but i think the rubber strap is more fitting the 'image' and styling of this watch

(pic of gen... any difference?)
TAGCAG2111f.jpg

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I agree, the strap makes a big difference

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Just went to AD and did comparisons.

The gen picture on Tag official website is totally inaccurate (i.e: computer generated). The difference are minimal:
AR on rep is too bluish
Inner chapter ring comes with slightly bolder font
Sunken datewheel on rep.

The rest is spot on down to bracelet.

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
thanks for the update!

seems like the datewheel is always the thorn in most reps

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
An excellent and thorough write up Taka!
You've highlighted what some of us have been trying to do for a while; to put the spotlight on the very good TAG reps which are often overlooked.

As a watch, it appears to be of a very high grade and one could say superior to a lot of mainstream reps that most would rave all day about. Apart from the sunken datewheel (which isnt that obvious due to the large window), there aren't any flaws which would need fixing. The detail and clarity of the details are as you say, spot on.

In fact, after your review and pics I would be very tempted to acquire one myself!

thanks T

:)

Touf054

Looking Around
15/5/09
[Overall value: (10)
This is gotten from a trade with a Breitling Avenger Skyland. I think the value on this watch is pretty good. Retailing at low 200 USD from most dealers.

Hi Taka,

First of all thanks for this review which is really helpful !

I am new on this forum so please bear with me.
After reading your review I am quite tempted to get one of these so I've made some research and found that the price on this is at high 200 USD or even 300. Please could you advise me where I could get it for the price mentioned above.

Thanks
Touf

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
This is the review that got me into buying an SLR for myself. One of my faves. Well, I only have faves... :roll:

russtang

14/8/06
Great review.

I'm off to rob a liquor store now to support my next purchase. ;)

heman16

13/9/09
Very beautiful watch. Perhaps I will buy it too, when I take the geral survey at this forum.
:lol:

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/9/09
Nice review - shiny watch! Not the first on my list, but definitely on the list...