• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Finally!! ZF 15720

Kettle23

Horology Curious
27/12/22
UK
[apologies, ignore the last response, the perfectionist had some typos lol

Please see below:
Indeed , A little like the Ferrari / Toyota powered kit cars you used to see these bad rep hustlers flossing around town when you were a kid haha!!

Anyway, thanks for the input. I suppose in terms of the discussion the main 3 caveats to this (for me) would be :

1) can a decorated 4302 be sourced and from where!

2) research suggests (4302) are designed best to suit 41mm and the diver in Q is a 42mm.

3) The zf 15720’s miyota is 3.9mm thick. however, the 4302 is considerably thicker, 4.8mm. therefore, would this possibly exceed the capacity of the Asian 15720’s case design, as the case internally may not have been forged to cater for a 4.8mm.

Unless the case has been allowed tolerances for reuse in future reiterations. I.e. a v3 diver with A4302 movement etc. Then there would be some doubt in my mind due to the arduous lengths these factories have to go to, to minimise the kit inside these watch’s to suit the very slender sizes of the gens.

I would assume you would have no clue unless you had already completely dissembled one and measured it!

I’m a perfectionist by nature, so I like to see everything that is visible on the eye look and feel as close to the actual the gen as possible . Just my own personal preference. So, especially as this watch has open case back, I would NOT only need 4302 , I would need a decorated 4302 😂

so unless I can buy a pre-decorated 4302 which perfectly slots into the zf diver case , I suppose I better just wait for our Asian counterparts to finally stop cutting production overheads (stingers) , installing “Toyotas into Bentleys carcasses”. …

No doubt, this is a very popular model and if they did this watch justice with a descent movement , the perfection of this grey 15720, IMP, would make this one of the biggest hit kettles to come out of Z factory to date.

I think it’s probably a great project for somebody who has the money and time to experiment and be prepared for potential success or failure, but indeed, for me personally, unless all of the above is doable and cost effective, I will probably just try and get the rubber gasket changed instead lol

Any thoughts legend?
Anyway, thanks for the input. I suppose in terms of the discussion the main 3 caveats to this (for me) would be :

2) research suggests (4302) are designed best to suit 41mm and the diver in Q is a 42mm.

3) The zf 15720’s miyota is 3.9mm thick. however, the 4302 is considerably thicker, 4.8mm. therefore, would this possibly exceed the capacity of the Asian 15720 cases design, as the case internally may not have been forged to cater for a 4.8mm.

Unless the case has been allowed tolerances for reuse in future reiterations. A v3 etc. There would be some doubt in my mind though due to the arduous tasks these factories have in minimising the kit in these watch’s to suit very slender sizes of the gems.

I would assume you would have no clue unless you had already completely dissembled one and measured it!

I’m a perfectionist by nature, so I like to see everything that is visible on the eye about look and feel as much as the actual the real as possible . Just my own personal preference. So, especially as this watch has open case back, I would only need 4302 , I would need a decorated 4302 😂

so unless I can buy a pre-decorated 4302 which is perfectly slots into the zf diver case , I suppose I better just wait for our Asian counterparts to finally stop cutting production overheads (stingers) , installing “Toyotas into Bentleys carcasses”. …

No doubt, this is a very popular model and if they did this watch justice with a descent moment , the perfection of this grey 15720, IMP, this would be one of the biggest hit kettles to come out of Z factory.

I think it’s probably a great project for somebody who has the money and time to experiment and be prepared for potential success or failure, but indeed, for me personally, unless all of the above is doable and cost effective, I will probably just try and get the rubber gasket changed instead lol

Kettle23

Horology Curious
27/12/22
UK
[apologies, ignore the last response, the perfectionist had some typos lol

Please see below:

Indeed , A little like the Ferrari / Toyota powered kit cars you used to see these bad rep hustlers flossing around town when you were a kid haha!!

3) The zf 15720’s miyota is 3.9mm thick. however, the 4302 is considerably thicker, 4.8mm. therefore, would this possibly exceed the capacity of the Asian 15720’s case design, as the case internally may not have been forged to cater for a 4.8mm.

Unless the case has been allowed tolerances for reuse in future reiterations. I.e. a v3 diver with A4302 movement etc. Then there would be some doubt in my mind due to the arduous lengths these factories have to go to, to minimise the kit inside these watch’s to suit the very slender sizes of the gens.

I’m a perfectionist by nature, so I like to see everything that is visible on the eye look and feel as close to the actual the gen as possible . Just my own personal preference. So, especially as this watch has open case back, I would NOT only need 4302 , I would need a decorated 4302 😂

so unless I can buy a pre-decorated 4302 which perfectly slots into the zf diver case , I suppose I better just wait for our Asian counterparts to finally stop cutting production overheads (stingers) , installing “Toyotas into Bentleys carcasses”. …

No doubt, this is a very popular model and if they did this watch justice with a descent movement , the perfection of this grey 15720, IMP, would make this one of the biggest hit kettles to come out of Z factory to date.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The decorated 4302 with rotor fits perfectly into the 10.4mm case. Therefore the rep diver case thickness isn’t an issue at all being a lot thicker.
I do think that the 4302 movement can be used in the 42mm diver (it’s a guess not a fact) given the respective datewheel positions in both.
Do bear in mind that the gen 15720 diver uses the 4308 caliber.

Reactions: Kettle1

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Together with @Natas78 I attempted a movement swap from ZF 15500 v3 into a 15720. We were both excited to create something noteworthy, but it would require extensive case modding, to fit it into there, plus issues with stem height and dial hight.
Might take u up on your offer, when Im in asia @legend and we can try to make it happen. Now its impossible due to lack of time.

Last edited:

wiseguyry

Horology Curious
10/2/20
I have the ceramic bezel on order, really excited to get it in hand. I'm hoping that the indices and dive bezel are less yellow than they look in pictures, and more of a saturated tan that we see in the gen. Pretty surprising to see a strong factory like ZF producing such inaccurate colors, fingers crossed it's just the pictures - but the green is not even close and the grey comes with a grey gasket between the bezel and midcase when it should be blue... so they're all off in some way.

Has anyone measured the thickness of them? Gen is already pushing the limits of what I would wear, so it'll also be a dealbreaker if it's significantly thicker than the gen's 14.2mm. Only way to know for sure is to take the plunge, I'll post some pics when it comes in if useful.

Reactions: Autobús

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Together with @Natas78 I attempted a movement swap from ZF 15500 v3 into a 15720. We were both excited to create something noteworthy, but it would require extensive case modding, to fit it into there, plus issues with stem height and dial hight.
Might take u up on your offer, when Im in asia @legend and we can try to make it happen. Now its impossible due to lack of time.
Lack of time yes, but never lack of watches it seems. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Procurator

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
I have the ceramic bezel on order, really excited to get it in hand. I'm hoping that the indices and dive bezel are less yellow than they look in pictures, and more of a saturated tan that we see in the gen. Pretty surprising to see a strong factory like ZF producing such inaccurate colors, fingers crossed it's just the pictures - but the green is not even close and the grey comes with a grey gasket between the bezel and midcase when it should be blue... so they're all off in some way.

Has anyone measured the thickness of them? Gen is already pushing the limits of what I would wear, so it'll also be a dealbreaker if it's significantly thicker than the gen's 14.2mm. Only way to know for sure is to take the plunge, I'll post some pics when it comes in if useful.
These are huge watches. They may be listed as 42mm but they wear more like 45-46mm due to the huge crown guard.

wiseguyry

Horology Curious
10/2/20
These are huge watches. They may be listed as 42mm but they wear more like 45-46mm due to the huge crown guard.
Sorry if I was unclear, I’m wondering about the height. It’s been mentioned that it it’s not accurate to gen, but I don’t know by how much. I do realize that it’s going to be chunky either way though. It’ll be fun, I also have a ZF 15710 coming as my first AP reps.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Its a ratchet hobby… 😂
merry go round carousel GIF by Hallmark Movies & Mysteries

Arriving at the destination soon… real soon.

Kettle1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
27/12/22
United Kingdom
I give up with the swap movement of the A4302 from the 15500 zf v3 into the 15720 , so just went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 15500 zf v3 with the A4302 already included lol

Thanks for your comments and sharing your experiences.

Am going to send the watch off for some mods. Was wondering Legend, if you think having the blue dial on the v3 reworked is worth it and makes the dial more eye catching/impressive?

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
Fore sure does, if you search, there was or is one for sale already modded by Al.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I give up with the swap movement of the A4302 from the 15500 zf v3 into the 15720 , so just went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 15500 zf v3 with the A4302 already included lol

Thanks for your comments and sharing your experiences.

Am going to send the watch off for some mods. Was wondering Legend, if you think having the blue dial on the v3 reworked is worth it and makes the dial more eye catching/impressive?
As a modder I’ll tell you that fundamentally the gen and rep dials are different in the way they are crafted and no matter how the rep dial is modded, the fundamental constructions of both dials can never be made the same. However the rep dial can be modded to catch the light better and resemble the gen better visually under the crystal.

Reactions: Kettle1 and oceaon

Kettle1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
27/12/22
United Kingdom
As a modder I’ll tell you that fundamentally the gen and rep dials are different in the way they are crafted and no matter how the rep dial is modded, the fundamental constructions of both dials can never be made the same. However the rep dial can be modded to catch the light better and resemble the gen better visually under the crystal.
Thanks for this legend. Valid points. Noting the benefits that can be achieved from the mods, without doubt, I will soon have a Masterfully modded and unique time piece that I will massively enjoy regardless of any minor differences to the ones made at the ap factory!

;)

Stay lucky and keep up the great work mate

Cheers 🍻

Reactions: legend and Autobús

stowee

Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Texas
Since apparently no one likes the carbon model, I sacrificed myself and ordered one ;-)
If it is desired, I can make a few better photos on the weekend. The first impression: Well made, only the rotor is a bit too loud.

Could you post some day light shots? Wanting to see if the yellow accents are really yellow or darker.