• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Finally!! ZF 15720

Fusible

5/5/22
Sorry to revive an older thread, but was there ever discussion on the Grey dial variant of ZF in relation to gen? I know the APF vs ZF conversation has come up many times with APF releasing a solid offering. Seems both are great, with gasket color being wrong on ZF and APF having worse hands imo. Can anyone speak to the color of the ZF grey vs gen? ZF appears significantly darker than APF.

Brizzybrad

Horology Curious
27/8/23
Conus
For reference, this is how it wears on a 7.5” wrist. It’s BIG. I have the prof xtal, which imo is a nice upgrade. In most light looks like there is no xtal at all.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
For reference, this is how it wears on a 7.5” wrist. It’s BIG. I have the prof xtal, which imo is a nice upgrade. In most light looks like there is no xtal at all.
Having a double AR crystal installed is a matter of preference, not accuracy as all APs have single AR crystals and are actually reflective at certain angles.
The issue with double AR crystals, inaccuracy aside, is that the outer layer scratches easily and may even rub off as it ages. This would give it an uneven look and frankly ruins the aesthetics. So enjoy the watch if it’s your thing but do take precautions accordingly.

Reactions: Allure and Fusible

Fusible

5/5/22
Having a double AR crystal installed is a matter of preference, not accuracy as all APs have single AR crystals and are actually reflective at certain angles.
The issue with double AR crystals, inaccuracy aside, is that the outer layer scratches easily and may even rub off as it ages. This would give it an uneven look and frankly ruins the aesthetics. So enjoy the watch if it’s your thing but do take precautions accordingly.
I've seen a number of QCs on these ZFs with the bezel being crooked to some degree. Is this easily fixable in your experience?

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I've seen a number of QCs on these ZFs with the bezel being crooked to some degree. Is this easily fixable in your experience?
How do you define a crooked bezel?
It’s an octagon so I’ll like to know an example of how a crooked bezel will look like thank you.

Fusible

5/5/22
How do you define a crooked bezel?
It’s an octagon so I’ll like to know an example of how a crooked bezel will look like thank you.
Here is the QC I GL, appears to need a very very slight CCW turn, however others were worse. In this that I GL could be a photo angle.

Fusible

5/5/22
To be honest the bezel looks fine to me.
Great! Others were RL do to being far off, ZF has sent some rough QC lately with markers very far off. Seems funny given the grid on the dial making it a bit easier for alignment :ROFLMAO:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Just go easy on QCs please! These are replicas and meant to be worn for fun, not as gens. I do get it when the flaws are egregious like a dial marker appearing askew, or obvious marring on the case. But when guys start drawing grid lines on the QC pics and start consulting the community on flaws imagined and minor, I think that that is when I draw the line (no pun intended).

Fusible

5/5/22
Just go easy on QCs please! These are replicas and meant to be worn for fun, not as gens. I do get it when the flaws are egregious like a dial marker appearing askew, or obvious marring on the case. But when guys start drawing grid lines on the QC pics and start consulting the community on flaws imagined and minor, I think that that is when I draw the line (no pun intended).
I completely agree, I judge based on standard pictures alone and not grid lines, those days are long gone for me! As I get into AP the very crooked markers do bug me personally as the dial pattern makes it more apparent than it otherwise should be imo. Otherwise most watches are GL for me no problem.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I completely agree, I judge based on standard pictures alone and not grid lines, those days are long gone for me! As I get into AP the very crooked markers do bug me personally as the dial pattern makes it more apparent than it otherwise should be imo. Otherwise most watches are GL for me no problem.
And I wish more guys are enlightened the way you are. It will save a lot of space on the forum for us all. Lol

guybythelake

13/7/14
Here is the QC I GL, appears to need a very very slight CCW turn, however others were worse. In this that I GL could be a photo angle.
This watch looks fine, nothing too crooked! BTW I have this blue ZF Diver and I went to see a gen just like it around where I live. I tried it on and spend some time with it. Obviously i was not wearing my ZF to compare for obvious reasons... lol. But i can easily say ZF did and incredible job on this watch, unless you are a perfectionist AP expert with
Looks like a photo angle. You would never see a QC that is taken by a camera on stand and watch perfectly aligned using lasers. If you are referencing the screw heads to the strap links on top, it looks like need a sligh adjustment CCW BUT if you refence the same on the bottom then looks like needs CW adjustment. So there is camera angle going on here. On a seperate note, I went to a local watch store and checked out a Gen AP blue diver just like this. I own the Blue ZF 15720 and was just curious how they compare. For obvious reasons I was not wearing my ZF to compare side by side. But I got to wear and fondle the gen watch for a while. I can easily say that ZF is amazing, it comes very close to looks and pretty much same feel. Unless you are a perfectionist AP expert who is going to scrotunize everything with a loop, it is excellent.

Reactions: Fusible

silver.forever

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/9/23
@legend I am wondering if the 15720 crown and pusher could be used from the ZF onto the APS? I really want the "clone" movement of the APS and like the color of the ceramic of the ZF. Can parts (except hands) like the dial be swaped? Where are the limitations?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
@legend I am wondering if the 15720 crown and pusher could be used from the ZF onto the APS? I really want the "clone" movement of the APS and like the color of the ceramic of the ZF. Can parts (except hands) like the dial be swaped? Where are the limitations?
yes they can be swapped with mods.