• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sub - Ceramic or 16610?

jll3

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/7/10
Some dealers are offering both right now. What are the primary differences between the 2 reps? Is one supposed to be more accurate than the other? Which would you guys go for? Do you think the 16610 will eventually be phased out?

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
The ceramic model is more accurate, providing you get one with a nicely centered pearl. The 16610 BK offers is probably as accurate, maybe more so. It's $600+ though.

I prefer the ceramic model for the following reasons:

1. I like the bigger case
2. The bracelet has solid midlinks which makes it sturdier and heavier.
3. The new clasp is better because you can easily make microadjustments
4. The Maxi dial makes it easier to read the time (for me)
5. Blue lume is cooler than green lume :D ReplicaMake's Ceramic Sub has pretty good lume OTB

I don't know if Rolex will discontinue the older model. The ceramic is more expensive so maybe.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

The older model (16610) is already discontinued. Being replaced by the Ceramic 116610LN.
...But you will find the 16610 yet on the ADs until they run out of stock, which might take a little while.

Both are accurate, but the Ceramic is more accurate out of the box as AllergyDoc said. Although you can make a very accurate model with a noobfactory 16610 as base, just shaving the CGs and changing the insert/pearl.

I really recommend you to get both of them, as the feeling on the wrist is very unique for each one, even being very similar pieces. The ceramic has a more comfortable bracelet and clasp, a smoother feeling, but the classic 16610 is lighter on the wrist for daily use.

Cheers,
Spirit.