• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

does a $300 rep really compete or beat an equivalently priced genuine?

godhanded

Known Member
19/11/14
I heard the assertion made somewhere on the forum that buying a high-end replica, such as one with swiss movements, sapphire, etc, is better than buying an equivalently priced genuine, such as a $300 Hamilton. Warranty is definitely something to consider, but is this an assertion you guys would back up?

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
Yes and no. Hamilton, seiko or tissot be hard to beat at that price level but fashion watches are definitely not as good

Metalmickey

Renowned Member
1/7/14
Agreed. If you buy good value watches then no but the fashion watch Michael Kors type rubbish that most people seem to buy is nowhere near good rep quality

godhanded

Known Member
19/11/14
Hamilton, Seiko, Tissot, any others you might add to that list? Orient dive watches seem nice. When it comes down to it, a lot of watches I'm looking at just don't have the aesthetic options that the fashion ones do -- font, coloring, whatever. There really isn't a great value-replacement for a portuguese, or at least all the ones I've looked at just don't do it for me.

umaso

Renowned Member
28/6/14
I've heard good things about orient. Maybe also include Steinhart as a cheap gen watch using ETA movements. I have been thinking of picking up a Hamilton for daily wear. I haven't owned any of these, so can't really comment on how good they are, but my luck with reps hasn't been great, so I'd hope they'd be much better than any mass produced rep with an Asian or even "Swiss" movement.

stxtf

Renowned Member
4/4/11
From my experience in handling them, good $300-400 reps (think Noob CrPO, AP Diver, many Panerai's, v6 Hublot, etc.) are far superior to even doubly-priced gen counterparts like Hamilton, Tissot, and Oris.

The movement may be less robust, but the case finishing and details in reps are well beyond lower-priced gens.

smokiedabong

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/8/12
A good rep, hell yes! If you're lucky to receive one without defects and with a clean movement, it can stand against any similarly priced gen, including Seiko or Orient. I owned a few Seiko and Orient in the $300 range, the build and materials of some of the top reps easily equaled and a lot of times surpassed the similarly priced gen. The big problem with reps is that QC is almost nonexistent so there's no consistency, you may buy 5 reps and while one is exceptional, the other 4 can have problems.

trinity13

15/12/13
Built quality wise still goes to Hamilton, no sharp edges, corners. I have 4 Hamilton (2 of 'em are limited edition) and couldn't be more pleased with them. If you wish to have good reps, i think they are starting from $400 above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cnwh

27/10/13
Get the Tudor black bay for that price!

I second that motion . I always think I'm wearing a gen when I have my black bay on, or SA, or my diver v6! I feel more insecure with my rolex on. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
For shitz sake...

$300...you can have a very nice piece depending on your taste...Rep or Gen...(Gen $$$ not included)

I was thinking about starting a thread on this subject...as in "what really attracts you to a watch?"

Brand? Look? Color? etc... You see where I'm going...

Taste is a very interesting thing and are we really all about the "brand"?

D

d4m.test

As mentioned several times lacking qc, a bit of luck and a good TD are issues. Apart from that I´d say that lookwise and in details some are on par with over $1000 gens. Most issues if there are any like sharp edges, missing silicone grease, loose screws etc. can be easily fixed without going into any expense.

AP_0420C.jpg

ap_0608c1.jpg

BP_0474c2.jpg

rep on the left
BR42ABYSS_0241c.jpg

IMG_1175c.jpg

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
Nice pics...DW

Still...what's the attraction? I know I have watches that I would never part with and they are not reps or high $$ gens...I like them because...I like them...

cnwh

27/10/13
I think what matters is what you feel like having at that particular point in time. My first watch was very dressy, 38mm, then I fell in love with pam cases, then diver watch, lately AP ROO style and last week I realise I didn't have a moon phase and took a plunge in a seagull moon phase.
a233369342a4f323450228a33ada4e33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drummania

Renowned Member
8/6/12
You can get Hamilton with Swiss movement for less than $400! Hard to do that with reps these days.

D

d4m.test

Invictas don´t impress me. You can get a Seiko SKX007 or 009 or a SNZH57 for about $149 and they are much better or the same than most reps. Hamiltons have been mentioned. Than there are Steinharts but already at a higher price tag.
The reverse of the medal is that these are exceptions and if You simply want more watches and other designs, it gets harder to find them. Just meaning if You have 3 Seikos and 4 Hamiltons what are You going to buy next?

Than there is the "it´s not what I expected on the wrist"-syndrome. Try doing that with $5000 and above gens where nowadays even Omegas and Breitlings easily get.
With reps I get 80% to 90% of the long-term experience at a fraction of the cost and can still decide "to go gen" anytime - but it will be exactly to the brand and model You also stick to longterm.

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
I've thought the same as the original post. You know, Parnis (see eBay) makes what looks to be pretty nice watches tht look very similar to the watches we all love here. Honesty, I'd rather have a rep.

andman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/11/13
I only buy AP and Pam's .. Gen and reps....

The quality of the finishing and detail of some of these reps is quite simply astonishing...

I will live with the poor movements....

tommikeson

24/10/14
I figured I should start posting here, I've been using some of the other forums more.

With only one Noob PAM rep, I'm by no means an expert like others here. I can say that with It being in the ~$30 range, it is on par quality wise with my Seiko that was $500. Additionally, people talk about quality... That Seiko failed after three months of use and was replaced under warranty.

Again, I'm New to this but I feel like "diminishing returns" is the prefect way to describe how I feel about this hobby. A higher priced replica may not be as perfect as a gen, but to me it doesn't seem like spending an additional $3k or more offers that much more of a watch.