• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I see watches everywhere...

livefree

Renowned Member
28/11/12
Maybe it's because I am in the rep game now, but I tend to notice watches everywhere. Today i was having lunch at a famous sushi join by my work and as i am waiting I see two separate customers with AP's on ( one looked to be a Safari and the other a Diver) I also noticed the guy taking names for the wait list is wearing a Sky Avenger with white dial, than as I'm eating I notice a guy sitting 5 yards away wearing a black PVD Paneri...

it's really hard not to just go up and say, nice watch... can I see??? is it Gen or Rep? lol. And there is something about being complimented on your rep that just feeeels good, especially because it's a Rep. I seem to enjoy compliments on my Rep's more than my Gen's. I met this guy for a meeting yesterday and not even 2 seconds into our hello, he compliments my Rolex TT Rootbeer float I got from Lucy.

What reps do you guys get the most compliments on?

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
i wouldnt ask if it was a gen or rep.
if you wanna comment, just say nice watch.

i always look for high end watches in movies and tv shows. every time they show someones watch, i must see what it is!
:lol:

livefree

Renowned Member
28/11/12
You guys misunderstood. I would never ask if it is Gen Or Rep. that would be jackass move and if someone did that to me, I would be pissed off and insulted. I'm saying I get the thought of wanting to ask that because it makes me wonder if they are part of the Rep world.

Yes bc1221, my wife thinks im crazy. Every time I watch T.V. or movie, i'm pointing out what watch that is.

xpletiv

I'm Pretty Popular
3/3/10
^I do that, too, wherever we go.^ I get the Rolled eyes look.

I was at a very crowded antique flea market and spotted a pvd Pam, said 'Panerai! Nice!' Guy looked like 'how the hell did he see that?!?':drool:

Treehousesscareme

Renowned Member
25/3/14
I noticed the same thing today. I saw a ton of subs today, some good and some canal st looking even from a mile a way.
My old exp II used to be complimented a lot but just because it was a rolex.. My panerai, ap ans now Tudor dont get as much attention in a world where Michael Kors is the watch to have.

I also started getting into trying to figure out watches on tv.. A lot of iwc's (house of cards) and panerais (from action movies to that community show) one thing that I can't identify is jack donaghy's watch in 30 rock.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Mostly Reps I suppose. Anyone working in a restaurant would not likely be sporting a expensive Gen even if he managed that 'Joint' . A Gen is a lot of money to get gravy spilled on it or hit by a heavy porcelain plate that needs scrubbing !! It all depends on the setting, area, the cars they come out of, their demeanor, their plate........... everything. Reps outnumber Gens by a big big ratio nowadays............. I don't look around for who is wearing what anymore, and if complemented with what I have on, I say a nice thank you and that I'm happy with it.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
Yep, I notice watches everywhere.

I can tell you, my most recent trip to NYC has netted the most Pam sightings in the wild.

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
Mostly Reps I suppose. Anyone working in a restaurant would not likely be sporting a expensive Gen even if he managed that 'Joint' . A Gen is a lot of money to get gravy spilled on it or hit by a heavy porcelain plate that needs scrubbing !! It all depends on the setting, area, the cars they come out of, their demeanor, their plate........... everything. Reps outnumber Gens by a big big ratio nowadays............. I don't look around for who is wearing what anymore, and if complemented with what I have on, I say a nice thank you and that I'm happy with it.

The OP did say a famous sushi.. The manager could easily make 100-150k in LA or NYC setting. It could easily be a rep and the guy is cheap.

rhreplica

Known Member
31/5/14
I never seem to see decent watches in the wild :( I was in London for a couple of days this week and the only luxury watch I saw on someone's wrist was an IWC.

Helldiver

Renowned Member
25/9/12
Actually my interested for reps restarted thank to a fellow commuter. I was going to work by train as usual and this guy had an amazing watch on his wrist (found out later that it was a gen PAM372 that he bought second hand). Since that time I got 6 PAMs but never wear one when the guy was on the same train!

But I must admit that people in Brussels don't wear nice watches even when they could afford some. Mobile phones are really taking over the time business. :p

Got a lot more hits when I went to Spain. Plenty of gen and reps in Andalusia. (Great place to retire = a lot of watches). LOL

HerrOberst

26/9/13
Of all the places that I have seen the coolest gens, I went to a Fountain Pen show in D.C. this year and the watches were everywhere in there. I saw explorers 36 and 39mm, many subs (all types)[actually talked to a gentleman about his two line, no date he was wearing], saw quite a few large, garish looking things (not sure what they were), cartiers, etc. There were people actually selling gens at their pen display tables. I saw a couple of subs for sale. I also so a few breitlings some other things.
As an aside, the guy with the sub I talked to told me that his first rolex he bought was a datejust for $300.00 when he got out of college, many many years ago. I was wearing a datejust that day (made my 'mymanmatt' over on repgeek), that's how we started talking about watches. He said, "nice watch" and that was it. Very nice fellow.