• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

END OF THE WATCH FLIPPER! - WATCH MARKET COLLAPSE??

CJS57

7/9/20
Rep market has definitely cooled. I tried to sell a VSF pre-raid bluesy sub like new at $425 and no takers............ That would have been gone in a few hours a year ago.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I've always been fascinated by people who hate "flippers". These guys are out there hustling to make a living making money through hard work. You may think it's driving prices up or whatever, but they aren't making nefarious deals.

The rep market has no correlation with this. Not sure why the rep market would "cool off".

Reactions: ExtraExtra

zyx

Horology Curious
22/2/22
Germany
No, not nefarious deals in the sense that it harms anyone. We're talking about luxury goods, after all - no one has to buy a Rolex or an Omega.

From a watch enthusiast's point of view it's just pretty annoying that flippers hijack the market to a point where you can't get a single product at retail price anymore.

mclarenlt

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/7/22
Bit dramatic imo. Prices for the coveted brands are still meaningfully above retail and I don't think it's reversing below that for some time.

6246jacko

15/11/21
Gen market has definitely slowed down and prices correcting. No one has a crystal ball but I'd guess they still have a way to go given the state of the economy.

I'm not in the market for a gen from an AD so never really understood the hate towards flippers. I appreciate it makes it harder for genuine buyers but can't knock people for being proactive to earn some extra cash! The hate should be directed at the gen brands for deliberately restricting supply of what is just a mass market product!

GMT+9Tokyo

14/1/20
Germany
I was on the list for 13 months for an Explorer 36mm, now I bought it used for less than msrp. Finally, you have a real choice about where to buy if you don't swim in money.

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
In my opinion, we need to analyze: Why did the price of watches increase so much? I believe the answer is that they flooded the system with money, and more people could afford to buy them. At the same time, there were more wealthy individuals than in other times – new rich people. And of course, the law of supply and demand, which everyone knows.

What was the fictional part? The fictional part was that too many resellers emerged, hoarding too many watches, and greed pushed them beyond the limits of normalcy.

So the question is, will it happen again? We already know why, so if the "whys" return, it will happen again.

El3

22/6/23
USA
In my opinion, we need to analyze: Why did the price of watches increase so much? I believe the answer is that they flooded the system with money, and more people could afford to buy them. At the same time, there were more wealthy individuals than in other times – new rich people. And of course, the law of supply and demand, which everyone knows.

What was the fictional part? The fictional part was that too many resellers emerged, hoarding too many watches, and greed pushed them beyond the limits of normalcy.

So the question is, will it happen again? We already know why, so if the "whys" return, it will happen again.
Great analysis. The greed will always be there, but hopefully the system is never flooded with money again.. the federal reserve printed nearly 80% of all US dollars in existence since 2020. But where did all that money go? I sure as hell ain’t any richer, but things r definitely a lot more expensive

Reactions: PecMan

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
Unfortunately... after a minor upcoming crisis... the government will print money again, and this time, we will experience hyperinflation in the USA. DO NOT FORGET AGENDA 2030.
Not a bad idea to be ready.

Reactions: W47chl0v3r

El3

22/6/23
USA
What’s agenda 2030? Haven’t heard that term before