• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

EGI Bezel aging

Timeband

Renowned Member
9/3/10
EGI Bezel and case aging updated 21st may

Hi Members,
I decided to age my 47mm Egi.
Here is the bezel I’ve started with. I wanted to get some contact corrosion through the contact
from stainless-steel with carbon-steel in connection with some moisture
The bezel was polished with cape cod and the bezel pearl was made with laquer and lume powder. I applicated a drop of water on each pin
SN205030.jpg

SN205031.jpg

I used a file and an old scrap Metal from carbon steel to produce some Iron powder
SN205033.jpg

Then, I sprinkled the powder over the bezel
SN205034.jpg

SN205035.jpg

SN205036.jpg

The redundant powder was blown away carefully. Only the powder around the pins was left, because of the moisture from that drop of water.
SN205038.jpg

SN205039.jpg

SN205040.jpg

I placed the prepared bezel in a container with some water ( for a moist climate ) at the bottom.
SN205042.jpg

After three hours, the bottom from the bezel started to get a little rusty
SN205043.jpg

After one day, about 28 hours later, the bezel got a real rusty surface. Not too hard, but also not simple to remove. I rubbed with a cloth over it and it was still there.
SN205055.jpg

SN205055-1.jpg

SN205056.jpg

SN205057.jpg

I also removed the pearl, it needs a more aged one.
The next thing I want to age is the case. It is now in a container, treated with the same procedure.
Thank you for looking
Greetz
Uwe

Reactions: TimosL

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Tolle Bilder, Uwe und viel liebe zum Detail. Auch in den Fotos. Klasse Beitrag. Danke. Bin sehr gespannt auf das Ergebnis der nächsten Schritte.

Viele Grüsse

coax

Timeband

Renowned Member
9/3/10
Thank you guys, I will keep you informed for further progress.

Dank Dir coax. Mal schaun, wie der Rest wird.

Greetz
Uwe

1kenny1kenny1

Renowned Member
4/6/10
Amazing !!!

BTW so you made an corrosion on Stainless Steel ? Doesn't this corrosion also make an rust dirt, when you touch it with hands ?

Really great work. Please explain to me, so the corrosion was created by the small bushed iron particles ?

This is really great stuff, looking forward for next pics ! :)

Timeband

Renowned Member
9/3/10
Yes Kenny, this is a contactcorrosion. If you have Stainless steel laying outside, someone is grinding with an angle grinder in the near of it, the Carbon steel particles are flying with the wind and land on the ss-steel. After a week with rain, wind, sunshine and so on your stainless steel looks like rotten carbon steel.
The surface of Stainless steel is passive as long as it is not contamined with lower grade carbon steel or brushed, grinded, cutted whatever. If the carbon steel starts corroding, the surface of the stainless steel looses its passivity and starts also corroding.
As I have written, I rubbed the bezel with a cloth, so no rust will contamine your shirt.
Greetz
Uwe

1kenny1kenny1

Renowned Member
4/6/10
Uwe that is you ?! Ahh yes, then I understand the quality of the work !!!! :) Thank you very much for the explanation ! Amazing stuff ! Looking forward for finished project !

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I think timeband and fine_dd are two different persons who just share the same first name. :)

1kenny1kenny1

Renowned Member
4/6/10
I think timeband and fine_dd are two different persons who just share the same first name. :)
ahhh,, I fail :facepalm: though that he have different user name here...

nevertheless, the work is good ! :)

Timeband

Renowned Member
9/3/10
No problem mate LOL,
Uwe is a christianname in germany

Yes, the bezel was polished before.
I am treating a polished case right now.#
Let's have a look how it comes out.
Greetz
Uwe

Timeband

Renowned Member
9/3/10
Count you in ?
This is not my profession, just a first try of aging my own watch.
If it comes out as I want. We can talk about aging yours.
Greetz
Uwe

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I think he meant count me in, in that he wants to see more of this work :D