• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

eBay: Cheap Speedys, possible Scam

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
While searching eBay for a Omega Speedmaster 145.022 I found this:
Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch 145.022-69 220 bezel (head only) unpolished case | eBay
and this too
Omega Speedmaster pre moon 105-012-66HF | eBay,

What is common on both is that they're offering a watch way beyond it's market price, having 0 feedback and sell two bags too. And the one is based in Stuttgart, the other in Karlsruhe (both are in Baden-Württemberg, Germany). It smells somehow ...
Due to eBays payment regularies I bought the head only at 655 € via CC to eBay, knowing that they now have buyer protection via trust account.
Lets see what, if anything, will be delivered.

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Just an update on this.

The seller definitely tried to carry out a fraud. eBay states that this purchase is not covered by eBay Buyer Protection. Since I paid by credit card I requested a refund from the CC providing bank for the amount paid. At the same time, I will file a complaint against unknown due to the attempted fraud.

Original german mail from ebay:
".. Wir möchten Ihnen mitteilen, dass ein Artikel, den Sie gekauft haben, wegen eines Problems mit dem eBay-Konto des Verkäufers nicht mehr bei eBay angeboten wird. Dies hat möglicherweise keinen Einfluss auf Ihre Bestellung, aber falls Sie irgendwelche Probleme haben, helfen wir Ihnen gerne weiter.

Da Sie diesen Artikel bezahlt haben, bevor er entfernt wurde, wurde Ihre Bestellung ordnungsgemäß bearbeitet und sollte bis zum angegebenen Lieferdatum eintreffen. Falls nicht, können Sie jederzeit eine Rückerstattung anfordern. .."

Translation:
".. We would like to inform you that an item you purchased is no longer listed on eBay due to a problem with the seller's eBay account. This may not affect your order, but if you have any issues we will be happy to help.

Since you paid for this item before it was removed, your order was processed properly and should arrive by the stated ship date. If not, you can always request a refund. .."

So don't rely on eBays Buyer Protection.

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Just a final update on this.
I opened a case at eBay for an item that has not been received within 30 days after it has been purchased and asked for a full refund.
eBay checked this and, et voilá, refunded me.
I also spoke with the support desk representative about this scam and whether I should report this scam to the police. In response, I was told that eBay had already reported this to the police and therefore everything went its intended way.