• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Duty Free Airport

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
Sorry, couldnt find any old posts around it.

Anyone here who bought Gens from DF at the airports? i heard we could save some 15-20% based on the location.
i see some ADs such as Omega and Cartier in Toronto airport and I know for sure DXB is a "mecca" for all DF shopping.

anyone who did how was the experience?

21/8/22
The metaverse
I did a great deal once buying abroad and asking for a VAT refund upon departure. However, declaration laws vary from country to country. Not a big fan of duty free shops, the offer is mostly not great.

Reactions: P..DR..D

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners
Whilst shopping duty free for watches used to provide some decent potential savings, its now incredibly difficult mainly becuase the boutiques don't ever have anything in.
My father managed to pick up a Seamaster 300m about 15 years ago duty free and make a saving but every time I have been through the airport the watch shops have been pretty empty of anything that I actually want to buy.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
You used to be able to just buy and take with you all models of rolexs at hong Kong airport.

Not anymore.

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
guessing it's more of low-stock issue than a customs issue.
anyhoo- my trip got canceled so i will have to wait and see

Coconuts

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/10/21
you have to wear the watch once purchased and I think you necessarily have to have dual nationality?

GreatCompromiser

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/11/22
36 30
Just bought a 2022 panda Tudor chronograph in Europe for retail at an AD. Saved 21%. Was very lucky as I found this right when they put it in the store window. Going to sell and pocket the 21% saved.

Reactions: p0kiri

Anyone4apint

11/7/22
I've been tempted in duty free with various Bell & Ross and Omega's, but without exception, every time I Google the price back home it works out (even after the vat reclaim) as basicly the same price. Maybe this is because the pound is so weak right now (im a Brit) so perhaps it makes sense if your using a stronger currency, but right now as a Brit I'm buying my gens from regular non-duty free AD's.

Hilltop

15/9/20
I recently went through Dubai airport and there wasn’t a single Rolex to see, even for ‘exhibition only’. There were a few IWC, Bell & Ross and Tudors but none i was particularly interested in or appeared less expensive than at home in the UK

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
yeah, the weaker pound makes it tempting for us across the pond.
it's like i can fund my airline ticket with the savings.. lol

Reactions: Hilltop

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
I recently went through Dubai airport and there wasn’t a single Rolex to see, even for ‘exhibition only’. There were a few IWC, Bell & Ross and Tudors but none i was particularly interested in or appeared less expensive than at home in the UK
if there's indeed any price difference i dont think we will ever find Rolexes in stock at DFs

Magic Mike

Known Member
Certified
26/9/22
Slovenia Europe
Usually, the prices at airports are higher than regular retail. My experience from the past is that you can get a great deal if you are lucky.
But last year, I was around a lot, and there was insufficient stock, mostly everywhere, and prices are usually inflated. I was in Dubai, Paris, New York, Barcelona, London and Milan. And In last year I didn't see a single rolex on stock, but they had some nice TAG,s for the price which was similar to my local shop.