• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Dry" movements?

Jeppery

Looking Around
4/6/15
Hey!

Just ordered my first watch, an IWC Portofino with an Asian 2892 from Ryan.

I've seen some posts here about trouble with the movements, such as; the movement only "ticks" for 3-4 hours and does not charge itself like an automatic is supposed to.
Got a bit worried since the watch is, after all, rather expensive, so I wanted to do what i can to keep my watch in perfect condition and i read somewhere on here that the movements we get from the dealers tend to need some oil.
So i looked up how to clean and oil the watch and found this link: http://www.cwrnh.com/cleaning-oiling-checking-basic-mechanical-watch-movement/

Do i really need all these different types of oil or is there an allround alternative?
And is it necessary to do the full oil maintenance on a new movement?
And am i even supposed to attempt on doing this at all? i am a beginner on watches after all.

Thanks,
Jesper

orm

Known Member
1/9/09
Tjena Jeppe!

All of your questions are a bit "it depends".

As our watches are assembled in factories not up to swiss standards by peoply not properly trained in the art of horology the movements tend to be less then perfectly oiled and sometimes dirty. I hear horror stories about pubes in the movements ;)

Still, the majority runs fine!

If the movement is ok and everything works, you can do nothing.
But you can still either do some easy stuff by yourself or have a watch smith service your watch. This will ensure longevity, if that is important to you.

If the movement is not ok, as happened on my CrPo, you have the same options as well as sending it back for service. The latter will take half a year ;)

It might be an easy fix or something more complex.

A full overhaul should only be made by a properly trained watch smith, but for things like lubing the rotor anyone can do it.

Several members here use 2 sorts of oil for almost everything:
Moebius D5 for the most parts and 9010 for the rotor bearings.

I bought some "Anchor watch oil" on eBay. It works but one needs to be extremely careful not to over oil. It is sometimes better to have non lubricated jewels and parts then over lubricated.

So again. Everything depends on what the problem is, how brave you are and how much you want to spend on tools.

Hope this help :)

Psambrose

17/7/15
Do you really have to take the watch completely apart to lube it? Or can you just pop the back off, blow it out with an air compressor, and then spray some white lithium grease in there?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Do you really have to take the watch completely apart to lube it? Or can you just pop the back off, blow it out with an air compressor, and then spray some white lithium grease in there?

Only if you want it to never work again.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06

Yes but first to do a proper strip-down remove all items of clothing then send out watch to a competent watchmaker. Save the lithium grease for the yacht.