• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Does a ETA 2893-2 have any value?

Txr

Known Member
8/9/10
In 2010 I bought an ETA2893-2 movement from a swiss watchmaker on ebay. It was for BKL Ms GMT project and has a Rolex winding knob (BKL M added it, not the watchmaker ;) ). But the project fell through and I just found the movement when cleaning out old stuff....

I dont think this movement fits in any reps (thats why the project fell through). Is there any point putting that 5 year old movement on the sales section? If so, how much should it be listed?

Thanks

Matt

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Any ETA movement has value. Is it complete and working? Was it bought new or used? If used, has it been serviced?

Where are you located? Too many variables to give any definite answer.

Txr

Known Member
8/9/10
Any ETA movement has value. Is it complete and working? Was it bought new or used? If used, has it been serviced?

Where are you located? Too many variables to give any definite answer.

It is as received brand new from the watchmaker from switzerland. There is also a ring that came with it as well. It was bought brand new. never used, never wound, never serviced.

Item is located in Canada (west coast)

Pics:

http://imgur.com/ONRsqTO

http://imgur.com/1jrLli7

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
The cost of a new one is around $350 to $400 USD I believe for the standard grade. I would suggest you sell it for a little less than what you paid for it as the time for servicing it is now much closer than when new.

The only problem with the ETA GMT movement is when trying to use them in a Rolex rep you have to change the wheel set to an H5 from the standard H3. And even then it's tight.

Txr

Known Member
8/9/10
The cost of a new one is around $350 to $400 USD I believe for the standard grade. I would suggest you sell it for a little less than what you paid for it as the time for servicing it is now much closer than when new.

The only problem with the ETA GMT movement is when trying to use them in a Rolex rep you have to change the wheel set to an H5 from the standard H3. And even then it's tight.

is there anybody who can put it in a GMT rep? BKLM said it doesnt work. If someone can make it work, I rather keep it and have it put in my watch.

would it need service even if it wasnt used?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I did it once and wouldn't do it again. The only way even with a H5 canon pin set you still have to bend the hands slightly so they don't hit. If I had it, I would take off the GMT gears and use it as a 2892-2 movement in a 3 handed watch. They are great movements and much better than the 2824/36 ones.

It probably doesn't need service yet but most watchmakers will insist that the oils start to break down after 5 years. Not sure that I believe it though. If it were me, I wouldn't service it until it started running poorly.

zocker4711

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/3/13
I did an 1675 Build a few Weeks ago... But i think i did an Work that no one did here before?!?? :D hehe

Txr

Known Member
8/9/10
I did it once and wouldn't do it again. The only way even with a H5 canon pin set you still have to bend the hands slightly so they don't hit. If I had it, I would take off the GMT gears and use it as a 2892-2 movement in a 3 handed watch. They are great movements and much better than the 2824/36 ones.

It probably doesn't need service yet but most watchmakers will insist that the oils start to break down after 5 years. Not sure that I believe it though. If it were me, I wouldn't service it until it started running poorly.

thanks! that about the hands is pretty much what BKLM said from what I remember . The only use it has for me is in my GMT but considering how difficult it is to put in, will sell it

zocker4711

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/3/13
So let me say first that KBH is right! When you wanna Build an 16710 you need other Gears... The 1675 have no Metalic Dots and Squares etc. so the Hands can Move Free...

So what did i do on the Build?

I add Complete GEN Hands on the ETA2893-2 Movement... I never saw these on an Build before ?!?? :)
Only the Second Hand isn´t GEN... The prob was that the GEN Second Hand was Damaged... So i Relumed the Second Hand to match the other Hands...
There is also an Special DWO on this Watch... For this you need to Build an tinny Spacer that set the Dial at an higher Position...
This Point sucks a lot... As KBH already said... Because you loose with that again milimeters...
But at the End all was Fixed right as it should and the good Point is with the 2893-2 Movement the Customer can grab another smaller Caseback and add this to the Watch...
And so it comes a lot closer to the GEN as the Standart Yuki Case... Forgot to say ;) the Base is an Yuki Case...

It got from me Reshaped CGs and an GEN Rolex Reshape...

Txr

Known Member
8/9/10
actually what I want to have is a 116710. I currently have one with a modified ETA (or so they say, probably rather chinese copy) movement.

I am happy enough with the watch itself but wanted to upgrade the movement to the real GMT ETA movement. BKLM wanted to build them but it didnt work.

I dont want to touch anything myself. If there are guys who can put it together into my watch thats grande, otherwise I stick with what I have

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Here's what I ended up with. Even with an H5 canon pin set,iIf you look closely you can see the slight bend in minute hand to clear the markers. The hour hand is very close to the dial. Also I had to remove the red off the aftermarket GMT hand and paint it green to match since, at the time I couldn't find a green one. Turned out close enough but not exact.