• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ANOTHER mass shooting in the US !

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
It's easy to blame it on the gun lobby and the NRA, but they're not magicians. The truth is that guns are a very normal and central part of culture and way of life for about half of Americans. Most of us on the left don't fully appreciate that, so out attitude when talking about gun control tends to alienate people who don't see things through our city-dwelling liberal framework.

I am a liberal and a gun enthusiast, but I can see a justification for magazine capacity limits. I don't know how much of a difference it would make, but I can't see any real need for civilians to have 100 round magazines. "Assault weapons bans" are not productive, though, they are basically mag capacity limits with a bunch of meaningless cosmetic restrictions that do little but antagonize gun owners.

The rates of violence in the United States are very high, but that has more to do with economic disparity, drug prohibition, entrenched class and social issues, and a relative absence of public mental health resources. The vast majority of murders in the united states would probably still take place if guns were banned. That doesn't mean that guns shouldn't be sensibly regulated, but people who act as though banning guns would be some sort of panacea for violence in this country are misguided.

Here we go again... Always out of place.
You have the right to do as you please, but defining yourself a "gun enthusiast" in the same thread dealing with 28 persons shot dead is a total lack of respect for the victims.

Social problems exist in every country on this planet, but killing 28 human beings mostly children, in 2 minutes using a knife or a baseball bat is technically impossible. Very easy using a gun apparently.
Your concept of liberty gives anybody the right to buy an AK47 and use it, even if he is a criminal.
(It sounds silly to me, why not having strict limits? It doesnt change the right to, it only betters security)
However those families have no equal liberty to have children, if they can be slaughtered so easily, just because guns are as available as chewing gum. For everybody.
Liberty... such a complicated word. So often misused.
Any idea what is there on the margin of that liberty?
Other people. People who might have lived and loved in a way we will never know.
What's the plan? Giving every 7 y.o. kid an uzi of his own, so he can defend himself?
Opinions apparently may diverge...
I guess the word "misguided" was right, but aimed wrong.

In the meantime, using the expression "gun enthusiast" in this particular thread is at least awkward. We can never be sure who's reading, it might sound horribly painful for somebody. It reminds me of NRA holding a meeting in Denver after Columbine disaster. Go somewhere else, nobody will object.
No, some people LOVE to be out of order.
There are countless threads dealing with weapons in here, there is a proper section even. Can't say we are against.
This thread might just happen not to be the right place. That's all.

I do not however see why a stringent licencing regime is not in place for them.
+1
Neither do I Col.
The problem involves sales %, more than liberty.

Once again, RWI blessings for the families involved.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
Dozens of mass killings have occurred in the United States since two teenagers went on a rampage at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado in April of 1999, killing 12 of their fellow students and a teacher.

The deadly school shooting at a Newtown, Connecticut elementary school on Friday was the latest in a series of shooting crimes in the United States this year.

The following is the list of mass killings in the United States since Columbine compiled by Reuters and the Telegraph:

April 1999 - two teenage schoolboys shot and killed 12 schoolmates and a teacher at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, before killing themselves.

July 1999 - a stock exchange trader in Atlanta, Georgia, killed 12 people including his wife and two children before taking his own life.

September 1999 - a gunman opened fire at a prayer service in Fort Worth, Texas, killing six people before committing suicide.

October 2002 - a series of sniper-style shootings occurred in Washington DC, leaving 10 dead.

August 2003 - in Chicago, a laid-off worker shot and killed six of his former workmates.

November 2004 - in Birchwood, Wisconsin, a hunter killed six other hunters and wounded two others after an argument with them.

March 2005 - a man opened fire at a church service in Brookfield, Wisconsin, killing seven people.

October 2006 - a truck driver killed five schoolgirls and seriously wounded six others in a school in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania before taking his own life.

April 2007 - student Seung-Hui Cho shot and killed 32 people and wounded 15 others at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia, before shooting himself, making it the deadliest mass shooting in the United States after 2000.

August 2007 - Three Delaware State University students were shot and killed in “execution style†by a 28-year-old and two 15-year-old boys. A fourth student was shot and stabbed.

December 2007 - a 20-year-old man killed nine people and injured five others in a shopping center in Omaha, Nebraska.

December 2007 - a woman and her boyfriend shot dead six members of her family on Christmas Eve in Carnation, Washington.

February 2008 - a shooter who is still at large tied up and shot six women at a suburban clothing store in Chicago, leaving five of them dead and the remaining one injured.

February 2008 - a man opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois, killing five students and wounding 16 others before laying down his weapon and surrendering.

September 2008 - a mentally ill man who was released from jail one month earlier shot eight people in Alger, Washington, leaving six of them dead and the rest two wounded.

December 2008 - a man dressed in a Santa Claus suit opened fire at a family Christmas party in Covina, California, then set fire on the house and killed himself. Police later found nine people dead in the debris of the house.

March 2009 - a 28-year-old laid-off worker opened fire while driving a car through several towns in Alabama, killing 10 people.

March 2009 - a heavily armed gunman shot dead eight people, many of them elderly and sick people, in a private-owned nursing home in North Carolina.

March 2009 - six people were shot dead in a high-grade apartment building in Santa Clara, California.

April 2009 - a man shot dead 13 people at a civic center in Binghamton, New York.

July 2009 - Six people, including one student, were shot in a drive-by shooting at a community rally on the campus of Texas Southern University, Houston.

November 2009 - U.S. army psychologist Major Nidal Hasan opened fire at a military base in Fort Hood, Texas, leaving 13 dead and 42 others wounded.

February 2010 – A professor opened fire 50 minutes into at a Biological Sciences Department faculty meeting at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, killing three colleagues and wounding three others.

January 2011 - a gunman opened fire at a public gathering outside a grocery in Tucson, Arizona, killing six people including a 9-year-old girl and wounding at least 12 others. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was severely injured with a gunshot to the head.

April 2 - A gunman kills seven people and wounds three in a shooting rampage at a Christian college in Oakland.

July 20 - A masked gunman kills 12 people and wounds 58 when he opens fire on moviegoers at a showing of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, a suburb of Denver, Colorado.

Aug. 5 - A gunman kills six people during Sunday services at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, before he is shot dead by a police officer.

Aug. 24 - Two people are killed and eight wounded in a shooting outside the landmark Empire State Building in New York City at the height of the tourist season.

Sept. 27 - A disgruntled former employee kills five people and takes his own life in a shooting rampage at a Minneapolis sign company from which he had been fired.

Oct. 21 - Three people are killed in a Milwaukee area spa including the estranged wife of the suspected gunman, who then killed himself.

Dec. 14 - A shooter opens fire at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, killing several people including children.

Sources: Telegraph, Reuters, and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Lets make it real simple. Just look at 2012.

Jelly , I'm with you 100%

I have a 3 year old daughter, and a 1 year old son. If someone killed them , my life would never be the same. I cannot fathom what these parents are feeling.

Brim

Known Member
12/4/12
The gun lobby runs this country. By no means am I in favor of disarming everyone. But there is no reason a civilian should be able to own a semi automatic assault weapon.

Because the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or target practice. It is about citizens being able to take up arms against any threat, foreign or domestic. There is a reason that most dictators seek to disarm their citizens.

I know it is crazy to think that there could be a need for something like that in a country like the United States or Japan or Italy or Germany, but stranger things have happened.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
So should we own Drones as well ? Lets pool our cash. I can get a screaming deal on an F-18 Hornet. If you think your guns will stop the US Military , I have nothing to say.

Brim

Known Member
12/4/12
In 2010, over 13,000 people died in the U.S. from drunk drivers. Which do we make illegal, cars or alcohol? Of course I am sure the car enthusiasts are going to blindly defend them.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
In 2010, over 13,000 people died in the U.S. from drunk drivers. Which do we make illegal, cars or alcohol? Of course I am sure the car enthusiasts are going to blindly defend them.

How many of those 13000 were deliberate?

Brim

Known Member
12/4/12
Nope. Keep up the good work. As Rahm Emanuel said you don't want to waste a good crisis. They are always good for opportunists to push their agenda.

The common problem with these recent shootings has been severe mental illness and yet that is not the discussion. I guess no one has a mental illness agenda that needs advancing.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Too many sick bastards out there, wanting to inflict as much evil and suffering on the innocent before they check out.... The day is near when armed officers roam the halls of our malls, schools, grocers, movie theaters, etc... The world is totally out of control.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I started using logic after I became an agnostic. It's amazing what happens when you open your mind, and close you bible.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09

The interessting thing here is :
Guns are not needed to make a normal weeks end meet for most familys. You mention car enthusiasts, well car enthusiasts are the smallest group of car owners. Most folks have a car and use it for a pretty decent cause. Guns are really not that needed in a house hold if you think about it.

I agree to what's being said about drug needs and poverty being a major reason for crazy shootings, but I hardly think it's a good decision to throw accassable guns in the cocktail. Kindda like, drunk driving kills, but is it a good idea to walk in on a huge pissup party and shout "cmon guys, drag racing outside, we hired muscle cars and warmed 'em up already, so let's see who's a sissy" - especially in a country where the gap between being well of. E.g having medical insurance etc., and those who have 4 siplings and a drunk mom who works the night shift in walmart.
Honestly I would trust an average afgani kid with a gun more , than a youngster from the US who also has no future, but unlike the afgan kid, the Yank kid has to have his nose rubbed in it every day....

Hard to see where to start working.

Try this thought:
Does anyone think that the amount of folks killed with guns would increase if there were some more restricted rules for fire arms?
I know it's hard for a euro guy to sit here and judge yankee culture,- my views would probably have been different ( marginally) if I had been raised with us gun laws, but still the fact remains, even if these things hsppen in europe too, it doesnt happen as often.