• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Datejust 36; Date wheel overlay came off

Tungstencarbide

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/7/22
Hi everyone,

a couple of weeks ago I bought my first rep watch which is a Datejust 36 126234 GMF. The watch was in used condition and according to the seller supposed to have a 3235 movement.

I enjoyed wearing it a lot over a few days until suddenly I noticed that the date setting function was not working properly anymore. It seemed that the datewheel had become loose. I said to myself: Well, it was used and relatively cheap, so not a big deal and as I wanted to get deeper into watches and potentially repair/modify them myself, I decided to just open the watch myself and maybe find the problem. If I screw up the movement completely, I can still learn something and it won't be a too expensive lesson.

You can see what I found on the following pictures.

I am an absolute layman and I didn't see a branding/information on the movement but I believe it is not a 3235 but a 2824-2. I found another datewheel was glued onto the old one and must have come off during wearing. After some minutes reading online I saw that this is a common method. Is it feasible for someone like me to repear it and just glue the datewheel back on? I read about slow curing epoxy resin that gives me time to do corrections. I am happy to hear some of your suggestions. Thanks!

Dohdoh

Renowned Member
30/10/13
Hi everyone,

a couple of weeks ago I bought my first rep watch which is a Datejust 36 126234 GMF. The watch was in used condition and according to the seller supposed to have a 3235 movement.

I enjoyed wearing it a lot over a few days until suddenly I noticed that the date setting function was not working properly anymore. It seemed that the datewheel had become loose. I said to myself: Well, it was used and relatively cheap, so not a big deal and as I wanted to get deeper into watches and potentially repair/modify them myself, I decided to just open the watch myself and maybe find the problem. If I screw up the movement completely, I can still learn something and it won't be a too expensive lesson.

You can see what I found on the following pictures.

I am an absolute layman and I didn't see a branding/information on the movement but I believe it is not a 3235 but a 2824-2. I found another datewheel was glued onto the old one and must have come off during wearing. After some minutes reading online I saw that this is a common method. Is it feasible for someone like me to repear it and just glue the datewheel back on? I read about slow curing epoxy resin that gives me time to do corrections. I am happy to hear some of your suggestions. Thanks!
Hey bud, you are right... It's not a 3235 movement. As you have already dissambled in a proper way, it should be a easy fix for you... It's a bit pita as you have to check the alignment of all numbers by switching the dial on and off. Don't get fooled! Several numbers can line up perfectly while the others are out. Trial and error ;) use slow curing epoxy and don't make the layer too thick as they can scrub against the dial and get stuck. Good luck!

Tungstencarbide

3/7/22
Hi, thanks for your advice! I assume no further disassembly of the date wheel is required because I have to check the alignment with the date window in the dial during curing. So I just glue it on the other datewheel that is still in the movement, put the dial back on and check alignment for all the numbers. Is there a particular way to apply the resin? Maybe a toothpick or Q-tip? Could you recommend a brand for the epoxy resin (preferably available in Germany/EU)? Thank you 😊

Dohdoh

Renowned Member
30/10/13
I am from Germany too and bought the hypo cement epoxy glue with a fine needle from Amazon... Easy! You will make it for sure ;)

Tungstencarbide

3/7/22
Hi,
Thx again for your helpful comments. Using the slow curing epoxy worked really well and the datewheel alignment seems is accurate 😀

Reactions: Dohdoh