• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Crown AP ZF V3 15500 can't close

Pure78

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
Hi the crown does not close. Only remake the thread inside the crown? i checked the thread on the case and it looks ok thanks for support

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Yes, if it does not stay in place after the attempt of screwing it down and the thread of the tube is not damaged, then it is likely to assume that the problem lies with the thread inside the crown.

You will need to replace the damaged part. A quick and dirty approach is to shorten the stem to make the crown sit flush with the case, but then your watch will not be waterproof anymore.

Pure78

INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
Yes, if it does not stay in place after the attempt of screwing it down and the thread of the tube is not damaged, then it is likely to assume that the problem lies with the thread inside the crown.

You will need to replace the damaged part. A quick and dirty approach is to shorten the stem to make the crown sit flush with the case, but then your watch will not be waterproof anymore.
Is better new crown for still waterproof right?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi the crown does not close. Only remake the thread inside the crown? i checked the thread on the case and it looks ok thanks for support
Without a loupe, it is hard to say that the threads on the tube are "OK". Because damages to the threads may not be obvious if you just look at it and expect to see either "thread or no thread". It is best to get your crown/tube (whichever isn't functional) repaired. Like what @Plaasbaas suggested, making the watch a non-screw down crown compromises waterproofing for the watch given that the crown, tube and gasket are all designed for screw down waterproofing.

Pure78

INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
Without a loupe, it is hard to say that the threads on the tube are "OK". Because damages to the threads may not be obvious if you just look at it and expect to see either "thread or no thread". It is best to get your crown/tube (whichever isn't functional) repaired. Like what @Plaasbaas suggested, making the watch a non-screw down crown compromises waterproofing for the watch given that the crown, tube and gasket are all designed for screw down waterproofing.

Hi so do u advise me to buy the part that is damaged or have the iron thread redone by a watchmaker? if repair the thread will it remain waterproof?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
1. I advise getting BOTH the crown and tube checked by the watchmaker. You do not need new parts unless the threads are damaged beyond repair but I doubt so.

2. Your question about waterproofing assumes that the watch was waterproof before the crown became unlockable. I would say that you can assume your watch to be as waterproof as it was when the crown was locking down, after the repair. For ease of mind, I will recommend at least a pressuretest after the repair to be sure. It is not a question which can be answered with guesswork.

Pure78

INMATE
Certified
23/2/22
1. I advise getting BOTH the crown and tube checked by the watchmaker. You do not need new parts unless the threads are damaged beyond repair but I doubt so.

2. Your question about waterproofing assumes that the watch was waterproof before the crown became unlockable. I would say that you can assume your watch to be as waterproof as it was when the crown was locking down, after the repair. For ease of mind, I will recommend at least a pressuretest after the repair to be sure. It is not a question which can be answered with guesswork.
Yes I tested already pressure test machine (no water) and is waterproof

Reactions: Autobús