• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

condensation on the underside of crystal

cheshire190

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/9/22
You should be able to take the case back off easily. Even a big ball of blu tac etc will do it.

You want to leave it with the caseback removed in a sealed container with some desiccant bags. Like those you'd get in a pair of shoes etc

Don't go sending it anywhere or putting it in the fridge.

Worse case just undo the stem and leave in in a container. It will just take longer to dry out that way

Reactions: muiramas

teehan

Horology Curious
1/6/21
You can superglue a craft stick to the back of the watch to use as a T-handled wrench to unscrew the back. Or you can glue a nut and use a normal wrench. I suggest getting that condensation out of there asap.
thank u for the advice!
will engage a watchmaker for help..

GIG

9/9/22
thank u for the advice!
will engage a watchmaker for help..

Forget the watch marker! Get the back off and into a bag with some silica packs. Other members have given you all the advice you need to get it off.

And I will second the don't send back to China advice. If anything your best bet will be buying a new movement and maybe hands if they rust.

Reactions: muiramas

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
@teehan has the fogging subsided it’s been a few days now. If you can’t get the back off make sure you keep the crown out. Keep movement of air. Leave it on a window sill or even force movement with hair dryer (not hot) or vacuum.

Weird you got so much water in from just a wash. Can you find a friendly watchsmith nearby to check whether it’s crown, case or crystal?

teehan

Horology Curious
1/6/21
@teehan has the fogging subsided it’s been a few days now. If you can’t get the back off make sure you keep the crown out. Keep movement of air. Leave it on a window sill or even force movement with hair dryer (not hot) or vacuum.

Weird you got so much water in from just a wash. Can you find a friendly watchsmith nearby to check whether it’s crown, case or crystal?
i have pulled out the crown and left the watch in a airtight container.
is this the correct method? or should i leave it out in the open?

last i checked, the fogging is not as bad as yesterday when i discovered it..

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
You need to put desiccant in the container with the watch. To draw out the moisture. Otherwise the moisture in the watch is going to stay in the watch. You’ll also need to do more than unscrew the crown.

The fogging is not as bad because the moisture has returned to the movement, whereas before the warmth of your wrist caused it to condense under the crystal. It’s still there.

teehan

Horology Curious
1/6/21
You need to put desiccant in the container with the watch. To draw out the moisture. Otherwise the moisture in the watch is going to stay in the watch. You’ll also need to do more than unscrew the crown.

The fogging is not as bad because the moisture has returned to the movement, whereas before the warmth of your wrist caused it to condense under the crystal. It’s still there.
thank you. i’ve not been able to get silica gel from where i am.
will drop by footwear shops to ask for some tomorrow.

truth be told, i don’t even have the tools to remove the watch bracelet.
much less the courage to open up the caseback myself.

that’s why, i mentioned earlier i would need the services of a competent watchmaker.
before that, i would try the dehumidifying process myself first.

thanks again for all the advices!

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
My MBW 1680 fogged up a little when I was out doing some tree work- it was hot and humid here in Galveston. I wadded up a piece of duct tape and removed the case back. Then I took the wife's hairdryer on low and blew it on the movement for a couple of minutes. Put the caseback on and the moisture was gone. Now it's on to finding the leak- either the crown tube or the crystal are the prime suspects. No more yard work for the 1680 for awhile.

Reactions: teehan

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Sometimes you improvise. i think hitting the watch with hot blow dryer is a bad idea. It will dry up the watch lubricants as well as the water.

Yes, the best route is to pull the case back off the watch. Otherwise, particularly with the crown screwed in the moisture has nowhere to go.

Putting the watch in a container with desiccant is a good idea. Those tiny silica packets come with a lot of products and I make a habit of keeping them. FYI, they can be “recharged” in a conventional oven or microwave. Plenty of online DIY instructions.

Another source for silica desiccant is cat litter. Read the cat litter label as not all brands are silica.

If you don’t have silica packets or silica cat litter, uncooked rice works as a desiccant but use it if the other options aren’t available because rice, though hydroscopic, does not work nearly as well as silica.

Once you have a desiccant, put the watch in a container with the desiccant but not in the desiccant. You do not want anything to get in the movement so take great care.

If using rice, or cat litter, I make small sachets with nylon stockings and place them in a container on the side of, not on, my watch.

You may be a bit uncomfortable buying stockings so, if you don’t have daughters, find a nice looking gal, buy her a couple of cocktails (while flashing your rep of course) and she’ll beg you to take off her nylons.

• Haha
Reactions: teehan and P..DR..D