• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Comex Submariner 5514 (built by tripdog)

DrHuHill

27/11/18
the deep blue sea
I would like to share my newest watch: A Comex Submariner 5514

It's been built by @tripdog, who refinished the case, lightly reshaped the CGs and re-cut the chamfers. The whole case, case back & bezel assembly have been brushed and polished but there are still some subtle signs of use and wear on the case and insert, a little patina on the hands too, so that the watch has some character and looks authentically 60 years old. He faded the insert to a blue/black color, it won't fade anymore as you can see the paint is starting to get a little thin, but it changes color quite a lot according to the light, from blue-grey to blue- black to almost charcoal grey. Thanks to tripdog for that excellent built !!!

This was my reference for the built: 1977 Rolex Submariner 5514 COMEX with Henry Hudson Letter

Short specs:
  • Phong complete 5514 case set (HEV valve, water proofed, same as factory specs, genuine crown, high quality made tube, full engraving and stamped, personalized serial number and engravings)
  • Eta 2840 low-beat movement
  • VN BiVintage Dial
Now I am waiting for a 93150 bracelet, hopefully markiemark is shipping soon.
Constantly looking for an affordable gen 1520 movement, in order to frakenize this one.

Enjoy the pics (with courtesy of tripdog):

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I hope you're going to post some wrist shots of this great looking watch !

Reactions: j21 and KJ2020

DJ41lvr

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/8/22
Very nice and thanks for sharing. Be great to see complete with bracelet.

oldtools

Renowned Member
14/6/11
Beautiful! tripdog is the best! What don't you like about the MinhQ 91350 vs markiemark's 93150?

DrHuHill

27/11/18
the deep blue sea
The MinhQ bracelet hasn’t got the correct stamp on the blade (not „93150“) and the crown on the clasp isn’t correct too. The links are fine.

jamiex

25/7/09
Yorkshire
Stunning build mate, I much prefer the new old school look over the battered and abused look and you can’t go wrong with tripdog at the helm.

Reactions: DrHuHill

matzemedia

Supporter
Certified
22/4/21
Deutschland
Very nice and thanks for sharing the details.
I've got a question. Maybe at @tripdog . The 2840 eta/swatch movement has no holes for the dial feets and to clamp the movement into the case. I bought the same movement and do not have any idea how to mount dial and movement into the case.

Uncledrew

Horology Curious
11/7/22
Stunning piece!
thanks for sharing.

I get why people like modern subs, but for me it’s the vintage ones all day long