• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swaping A2836 yourself

Thuen88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/11/16
Is it common for you replica watch entusiasts to swap out movements yourself if or when the movements dies ? Typically i hear that i should buy the A2836 movement version of the Noob V7 Submariner because its so cheap to change parts or the whole movement itself. However given almost no watch smiths are touching replica watches this could be a huge problem and very expensive regardless of movement ?

If Your answer is yes to this question, how difficult is it to change this movement in a Noob v7 submariner ? The movement itself is very cheap on ebay and if this is not the most difficult task i would buy this watch in an Instant.

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
Movement swaps ain’t too difficult if you have the skills, this stuff is micro engineering don’t forget, you need the “softly softly” approach to succeed.
Half decent tools are a must too, you can’t do this with kitchen untensils you find laying around...
watch a few YouTube vids to see if you’ll be able to manage it for yourself.

Alternatively, there’s always trusted fixers on the forum who’ll exchange for a small (ish) fee

Good luck

pippo

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/1/10
Don't make practice on such a beautiful watch. :)
Buy a cheap used watch and start there.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
What is the Tools i need to do this the best way ?

At the very very minimum

- caseback opener for Rolex (or use a wad of sticky tape)
- 0.8mm flathead screwdriver for screwing movement tab screws
- 1.2mm flathead screwdriver for pushing the stem release
- hands removing tool
- hands installing tool (or use the tube of a biro pen)
- dial protector for removing hands (or use paper with a cut notch)
- rodico or blue-tack for cleaning and handling/reinstalling hands onto the pinion/wheels
- slow-drying glue (5min) for reinstalling (by sticking) the DWO (datewheel overlay) from the stock 2836-2 movement
- (optional) finger cots
- (optional) blower for removing dust before final assembly
- (optional) silicone grease for lubricating the gaskets when reassembly

ghetto method for disassembling the watch (some steps are similar but i recommend getting proper tools)
http://www.thetimebum.com/2014/05/guest-post-how-to-modify-watch-moflake.html

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Great thank you :)

One more thing. I see this movement come with a date and day Wheel instead of just the datewheel when searching on Ebay. Does the datewheel from my Noob v7 fit these movements on Ebay or is it the wrong movement ?

Or do you ment that i glue the Noob v7 datewheel on the Stock date and day Wheel on the 2836 ?

link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clone-2836...607970?hash=item4aea7c8122:g:9twAAOSwZ1lWe3mx
Basically ETA/ASIAN 2836-2 are day-date movements

5845fed0f71ba706f1bcc92d0e44b806.jpg

When you'll remove the dial from your dead (or supposed to be) movement you'll see it's day-date too.
You will have to remove the DWO (Date Wheel Overlay) from your dead movement and stick it on the new movement date wheel.
It's a very doable but pretty tricky mod, because the prints on the DWO must be perfectly aligned with those on the date wheel.
If not, your date numbers will be misaligned when seen through the dial's date window.

Sent from the RWI App

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Personally the hardest part for me is removing and reattaching the hands. It is delicate work and, as previously stated, you need the right tools.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Personally the hardest part for me is removing and reattaching the hands. It is delicate work and, as previously stated, you need the right tools.
Personnaly, I prefer using the left tools ... but I'm left handed you know [emoji39]

Joke aside, "right" tools depend on the user.
I never use a hand remover tool ... I really prefer levers, or even smoothed curved tweezers.
And for reattaching some rodico to hold the hands and this
15e38d992514dbb10f80daecc9bf8bbf.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

Thuen88

3/11/16
How difficult is it to remove the date-wheel overlay ? Is it glued to the disk ?

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
How difficult is it to remove the date-wheel overlay ? Is it glued to the disk ?
The DWO is glued to the date disk.
But normally it’s not necessary to remove the DWO from the disk.
It’s a bit tricky to install a date disc with a DWO on top but it’s possible.

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
OK lots of help and lots of guys who tinker successfully in here but this stuff isn't for everyone.

I am a technician and do electrical/mechanical work on a daily basis, I have also spent three decades restoring cars and motorcycles including ALL aspects of mechanical restoration and I have now given up working on watches.

There's nothing different about watch mechanics EXCEPT that they are ridiculously small and every thing needs to be done by tools and with significant magnification so you have to retrain yourself as even picking up a part is an art in restraint and finesse that is just too foreign to me after so long working using my hands and fingers.

And as some of these guys know I learned the hard way by messing up my most prized watch so make sure that you know what you're getting yourself into.

Thuen88

3/11/16
Yes this is way down the future. I haven`t got my first rep watch yet, and it has 1 year warranty aswell. Plenty of time learning and working on my cheap watches before this scenario will come up.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong

use a thin razor blade (e.g. exacto blade) and slide it in between the DWO and date wheel, then slowly cut through the dried glue to free the DWO

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
There's nothing different about watch mechanics EXCEPT that they are ridiculously small and every thing needs to be done by tools and with significant magnification so you have to retrain yourself as even picking up a part is an art in restraint and finesse that is just too foreign to me after so long working using my hands and fingers.

this is true

one would also likely need -
(1) adequate magnification + (2) steady hands + (3) patience + (4) being awake + (5) the motivation to find small parts when you drop it onto the carpet/floor + (6) a slightly bigger wallet when it comes to giving up (and needing a watchmaker to fix up) or buying new parts (when you screw up or lose a part)

i recommend messing with the big pocket watch movements like the ETA/Unitas 6497 to train up dexterity before moving onto the 2836-2/2824-2