• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

waterproofing noobmariner

bamba

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/7/10
hello

how can i seal the Cristal on a rolex sub from noobfactory?

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
Hi and welcome Bamba.
First worry is making sure your crystal is well pressed. Due to bad assembly crystals may come badly mounted.
That should give the watch basic resistance to water together with caseback gasket and crown-tube O rings greasing.
How to seal a crystal to have, say, 20ATM water resistance is instead object of eternal debate with more than one option at stake.
Try search button, there are many threads about that already.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Have you pressure tested your noob and determined that you have a leak at the crystal?

Like Joe says, you can repress the crystal w/ a crystal press. Beyond that, you're on to replacing parts- maybe BK could get you spare a gasket and crystal- or you try to silicone or glue the stuff back in there.
But I've found my two noobs to be WR- grease seals and tighten caseback.

I figure if you get 5 atm's, you're doing well, these are generally fine for swimming or light snorkeling. If you're into serious diving, buy a $200 dive watch like a Seiko! Better yet, get a dive computer!

bklm1234

Known Member
Trusted Dealer
5/10/09
I can give you one of my custom gaskets, new one. Just pm me your address.

Press in the crystal. However it can be quite challenging. The crystal's construction (it has a fringe that sticks out) makes it easy to crack. You have to make sure you are pressing in the crystal evenly. If you apply force on one side and that side's fringe is already at the top of the rehaut, you will crack it. So proceed slowly and see where all parts of the fringe are at.

You can feel how tight a fit your crystal has with the watch by trying to pop the crystal with your fingers from behind. It should be unpoppable. Next do a simple water test. Put water to the inside (of course this is done before you install the movement unit). See if water comes out at the other end. If it does, you happen to have an undersized crystal. Your alternative is to get another crystal at this stage.

I used to offer this watch modded and one routine is replace the crystal gasket with my own, repress the crystal to make sure it's sufficiently pressed in. I also greased the gaskets. None of my customers reported water leak. In fact many told me their watches were very waterproofed, good enough to swim and dive with.

bk