• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cannot find a good gmt replica anyway

Kadafee

Looking Around
24/1/22
So the last few weeks I have been searching for tudor gmt pepsi. I've looked at most of reddit trusted vendors but every time I've placed a purchase the qc has been shocking...

Crooked numbers date misaligned.

A watch expert on reddit told me the movement they use on gmt reps are poor and they should be using eta?

Has anyone bought or have across any good gmt reps?

Thanks

diamant

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/9/19
Hi mate.
I once had a ZF tudor gmt. Date and the whole watch was perfect. But agree, today on qc it is much worse if not lucky… ZF use 2824 asian, you can put in ETA.

I hope XF will release these bb58 versions.

Reactions: Kadafee

Kadafee

Looking Around
24/1/22
Excuse my grammar my phones acting up.

Yeah zf are supposed to have the best rep but all the qc's I've received have been terrible. I hope you're right

Jaguat1289

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
22/5/20
Somewhere in Italy

That's mine, the only minor point for me Is the clasp closure, not 100% perfectly alligned...but Is a minor point, i am Happy with It. I took It from Hont.

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
I’m surprised they are saying to use ETA because I had a nightmare of a time trying to get an ETA GMT fixed. The movement was basically unrepairable and I wound up buying an Asian movement GMT. But this was a number of years ago and maybe now the ETAs are good?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
There are a lot of different rep GMT movements. The ZF Tudor GMT uses a rep 2836 movement with the GMT hand on the bottom of the stack. This is the same order as the gen Tudor GMT. All Rolex 5 and 6 digit GMTs have the hour hand on the bottom.

GMT Movements Explained

The rep and gen Tudor GMT aluminum insert can look black/red in a lot of lighting conditions. It's hard to get it to look blue to live up to its Pepsi name. I bought an aftermarket insert that looks much more blue but haven't installed it yet. Aside from that it's a great rep. The gens have had issues with date changes, actually making the ZF a more satisfying purchase for more than a few people.

16326671041130.jpg

16326710924790.jpg

Last edited:

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
There are a lot of different rep GMT movements. The ZF Tudor GMT uses a rep 2836 movement with the GMT hand on the bottom of the stack. This is the same order as the gen Tudor GMT. All Rolex 5 and 6 digit GMTs have the hour hand on the bottom.

Master KJ, please let me get this right, you mean the Gen Tudor GMT has the GMT hand at the bottom of the stack? I’ve always known the ZF is a great Rep, with the ICHS as the only flaw to get the NWBG status.
Maybe I’m confused, please help me understand this.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Master KJ, please let me get this right, you mean the Gen Tudor GMT has the GMT hand at the bottom of the stack? I’ve always known the ZF is a great Rep, with the ICHS as the only flaw to get the NWBG status.
Maybe I’m confused, please help me understand this.

My bad bro, you are right. I was thinking of gen Omegas, which do have the GMT hand on the bottom.

Here's a gen Tudor GMT where you clearly see the hand stack

jfcPRP.jpg

Thanks for the correction!

Ecender

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
26/10/18
Miami, Fl
My bad bro, you are right. I was thinking of gen Omegas, which do have the GMT hand on the bottom.

Here's a gen Tudor GMT where you clearly see the hand stack

jfcPRP.jpg

Thanks for the correction!

This (minor) flaw have been kept me from buying this GMT, however I think one of this days I’ll pull the trigger.
Thank you my friend, now I can sleep well tonight.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here is that other insert I bought. It's another step away from gen, but I can't keep myself from deviating if I like something else better. It's a curse!

jfcGsc.jpg

jfcFnI.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Another different aftermarket insert, but I think this one may not fit well. It needs a tad shaved off the inner perimeter which may ruin it if it eats into the numbers. Going to be super close. I really like these colors.

jfc0ZX.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gianton and Ecender

Kadafee

Looking Around
24/1/22
Kj they all look amazing I think for the time being I might go for the black bay 58 39mm. May I ask how long you've had your tudor gmt rep?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Kj they all look amazing I think for the time being I might go for the black bay 58 39mm. May I ask how long you've had your tudor gmt rep?

About s year I'd say bro. It really is a very good quality piece. There are some differences in the tube lengths used by different factories and in different batches so pay attention to that if it's going to bother you.

You can see the tube on mine is a tad longer than the gen. I'm not inclined to shorten it any time soon, though it's possible.

jGquTY.jpg

Reactions: Ecender

JSwatch

Horology Curious
9/5/17

That's mine, the only minor point for me Is the clasp closure, not 100% perfectly alligned...but Is a minor point, i am Happy with It. I took It from Hont
So the last few weeks I have been searching for tudor gmt pepsi. I've looked at most of reddit trusted vendors but every time I've placed a purchase the qc has been shocking...

Crooked numbers date misaligned.

A watch expert on reddit told me the movement they use on gmt reps are poor and they should be using eta?

Has anyone bought or have across any good gmt reps?

Thanks
I have a ZF Tudor GMT I bought in March 2019. I use it on daily basis and so far no issue's at all. Actual very close to the gen, only very few details, where you need really to focus or scale a photo etc. example the top line of the U are a bit different. The biggest flaw is the incorrect hand stack, but this I knew when I bought it. The movement have never given problems, run like a workhorse.

Driver79

Horology Curious
20/7/20
I got my ZF from Ryan at Intime a while back and it’s going strong still. The only difference I can see vs gen would be the dial is very slightly lighter but you would need to have side by side to tell - even then lighting plays a big part!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
A watch expert on reddit

LOL. Seriously, anybody who claims to be a 'watch expert', especially on reddit, isn't worth listening to.

The only unreliable GMT movement is the DG3804B, some work for years with no issue, others can last 2 weeks.

The Hangzhou 6460 is a very reliable movement, although the 24 hour hand is on the bottom of the stack.

The VR 3816 movement is soundly built but needs to be serviced to get the best from it.

tomtom1009

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/20
I recently saw here some qc pix of the tudor black bay gmt from zf with misaligned dial and date.

I had the same problem with my zf tudor black bay gmt even if my qc pics looked perfect and everything, bezel insert, dial and date was perfectly aligned.

When I received the watch I noticed that the date was not centered in the date window and that the dial was also not aligned anymore.

Therefore I opened the watch to check the screws and they were not tight enough so the movement could slightly move inside the watch case.

So i did some screw adjustments and found out something strange about the A2836 movement and dial mounting.

On this watch the dial is not directly attached to the movement but just to the spacer ring who sits around the movement. The movement itself is attached with two screws on the spacer which is held by additional two screws in the watch case.

Here a drawing for better understanding : https://clickpix.org/image/zOabFk

If you want to align the dial or date you can easily do it by yourself without being an watchsmith or have some special skills :

1. Take your tudor black bay gmt with A2836 movement :

2. Use a ball from amazon to open the back case :

3. You need a screwdriver for this adjustment:

4. Check if your bezel insert is centered on the watch between the lugs :

If not, you need to remove the bezel from the watch and align it properly.

5. There are 4 screws you need to work on :

6. To align the dial you need to loose slightly the two screws on the outside and then you can gently turn the movement assembly in the right direction :

7. To align the date in the date window you need to loose slightly the two screws on the inside and then you can gently turn the movement in the right direction :

8. PAY ATTENTION TO JUST MOVE THE MOVEMT BY MAX. 1-2MM NOT MORE BECAUSE IF YOU FORCE TO MUCH YOU RISC TO BREAK THE STEM. THIS ADJUSTMENT ONLY NEED VERY SLIGHT TURNS (< 1MM) NOT MORE.

9. After everything is adjusted and in position make sure to tighten all 4 screws so that the movement can’t rotate anymore.

And you are done :)