• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CALLING AP REP OWNERS... Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Automatic

romans157

Looking Around
20/5/09
Davidbr,

I have been researching AP Royal Oak Automatic Date replicas for the past month. This is what I've found:

(1) The current version of the 39mm Jumbo replica is easily distinguishable from the Gen 39mm Jumbo (AP RO Model 15300) because of the clear sapphire back. In the replica, you can see the ETA 2824 movement, which is all gold (or all silver) with incorrect rotors. On the Gen 39mm Jumbo, you can see that the rotor is gold, but the movement parts underneath are silver in color. Also, the shape of the rotor is incorrect. The ETA 2824 rotor is a perfect half-circle, while the Gen rotor is 1/3 and has different engravings. For even the novice AP Royal Oak admirer, this is easily give-away that it's a fake.

(2) Your best bet is the 36mm (38mm with case) RO Automatic Date replica. As you've mentioned, the Perfect Clone site has good replicas and I have heard the same thing. The 36mm replica (AP RO Model 14790) has a solid back. The markings on the face are 95% accurate and cannot be distinguished from the Gen RO 14790 without close inspection. One thing I would warn about this replica is the buckle. I've seen some poorly constructed buckles on replicas and, for some reason, even the newer replicas are not immune to this problem.

(3) I have just ordered a genuine RO 14790 (pre-owned) and a replica RO 14790 (from bigbigwatch.com). The bigbigwatch.com sales representatives were Chinese, but highly responsive via Live Chat on their website. An English-speaking representative even called me at my office to speak with me. So far so good, but let's see what their replicas look like. I will post pictures when they arrive.

Question for others: Where can I get replica papers?

Good luck!
Stephen

romans157

Looking Around
20/5/09
David, please re-post or post a link of your pictures. I believe they are not showing.