• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

has anybody ever worn their panerai into a panerai dealer?

sexybeast

I'm Pretty Popular
12/8/06
just wondering, even though this question has already been asked before, just to see what the dealer would say. seems like they may get a kick outta it, you know talk some story and such. i think i would walk in and say hey did i get a good deal on this, i just bought it off ebay for 4k(lol) :lol:

Novesh

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/06
I wore my 111h into a panerai AD. The guy there (assumingly the owner) didnt really care what I was wearing...I was not the only person in the store with a pam on, but he just seemed as though they are a dime a dozen.

Then again I've been to one in NYC and the people there were just happy to see people knew what they were.

Panerino

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/06
Tourneau

I wore my 1950 Flyback into Tourneau and the young guy working there had never seen a real one. I took it off to show him and he said "nice". Never once did he show any doubt that it was real. He did say they never had one at the store. I was looking at the Breitlings. :D

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
I don't think it's a good practice for a store clerk to point out to a (potential) customer that his/her watch is a fake.
Just like when I meet some of my client's TI manager. Never have I said that they should consider graduating from college :)

Road-Warrior

Known Member
12/8/06
Hottt mama, Jessica Alba, Droooll....

I can't help you with that one, sorry. There is no Panerai Dealer in Honduras.
We are a 3rd world country, we do have a Rolex Dealer though.
Some people here don't even know the brand exists.
People stare at my "WRIST" trying to figure out what kind of watch I am wearing.
It's fun!!!
A girl at a bar was bold enough to grab my arm to take a closer look at my Pam212,
and saying "what time is it?" Instead of just asking !!!

:wink:

Hari Seldon

22/3/06
I have never done it, but I agree with Phidik. Even if somebody there can tell it's a fake (not likely in my opinion if it's of the quality we deal with) they probably won't say anything. They might think you like your rep so much you are considering getting the geniune. Why would they want to jeopardize a possible sale?

geopatr69

Renowned Member
28/3/06
:D I wore my Pam183 to a very upscale jeweler. They didn't sell Pams but did sell all the major high end brands. The owner spotted my watch and commented on my great taste in watches :lol: I was treated like a king the whole time I was there. It was great :lol: :wink:

sexybeast

I'm Pretty Popular
12/8/06
i was wondering cause every once in a while ya here on cnn or another TV station about cracking down on replicas, i was thinking they may want to confiscate it or something like that. i don't know, they may want to interogate me or something (black bag stuff). if i don't post for a few weeks send out a search party. :shock:

leitztozeiss

Known Member
27/3/06
sexybeast said:
i was thinking they may want to confiscate it or something like that. i don't know, they may want to interogate me or something (black bag stuff).

They cannot coerce you to take the watch off. And, they cannot forcibly remove it from your arm. Don't worry about it.

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
The worst that would happen is they may ask you to leave the store. With that said I have worn every rep but rolex into the local rolex ad, and the owner will not leave me alone now. It's actually annoying, I can even look at a watch without hearing about his boat or classic car or the tiger woods tudor he won 10 years ago.

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
leitztozeiss said:
sexybeast said:
i was thinking they may want to confiscate it or something like that. i don't know, they may want to interogate me or something (black bag stuff).

They cannot coerce you to take the watch off. And, they cannot forcibly remove it from your arm. Don't worry about it.

Actually, there was a posting on TZ about a grey market Omega.

The posting mentioned that an owner of a grey market Omega went to authorized service center to get his watch serviced (what else?).
His Omega, although genuine, has the serial number filed off because he purchased the watch from a grey market online watch dealer.
Upon seeing that the serial number is filed off, the Omega service center seized the watch, citing that the US Law prohibit removing serial number, and the possibility that the watch could be stolen. This is the same law that prohibits gun owner from filing the gun's serial number.
Citing that the watch could be stolen, plus they threat to report the owner of criminal act, they actually took the watch!

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
and sold it to the very next customer!

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
I would imagine that's what happen :lol:
Molested Omega..........$1000
Fooled by the service center.......... priceless

craytonic

21/3/06
phidik said:
leitztozeiss said:
sexybeast said:

Actually, there was a posting on TZ about a grey market Omega.

The posting mentioned that an owner of a grey market Omega went to authorized service center to get his watch serviced (what else?).
His Omega, although genuine, has the serial number filed off because he purchased the watch from a grey market online watch dealer.
Upon seeing that the serial number is filed off, the Omega service center seized the watch, citing that the US Law prohibit removing serial number, and the possibility that the watch could be stolen. This is the same law that prohibits gun owner from filing the gun's serial number.
Citing that the watch could be stolen, plus they threat to report the owner of criminal act, they actually took the watch!

I hope he got a lawyer! I didn't know that an AD was responsible for recovering stolen property... perhaps I should recover some "stolen property" myself!

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
craytonic said:
I hope he got a lawyer! I didn't know that an AD was responsible for recovering stolen property... perhaps I should recover some "stolen property" myself!
Sure, because a $2000 lawyer is the ideal solution to recover a $1000 watch he'd smuggled into the country. :D

RqThrottle

31/5/06
I hope one would try! :)

Someone reaching for your watch is the dream attack of any Aikido practicioner. Easy recipe for a flying salesman! :roll:

oh, but we are not supposed to do that...

leitztozeiss said:

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
I have worn different watches into ADs before and they have always treated me like royalty.

On the idea of someone taking my watch? Well, in a country where it is not illegal to own reps, there is nothing they can do. If they try to take it from me I just have to call a cop and say they stole it. I can always claim ignorance to the fact that it is a rep. Only a total idiot of a salesperson is going to comment on your watch being a rep, even if they know. They are risking offending potential commission at that point and who is to say you didn't get ripped off on ebay.

Now, sending it into the service agent (usually not in the store) is a different story. Those guys will carve up an aftermarket dial on a Rolex. They will take a $2k diamond bezel and replace it with an oem, keeping the diamonds. For some reason these asshats believe they have the right to destroy anything you have that may be aftermarket on your gen watch. My opinion? If I pay $7k - $25k on something, it is mine and I can do what ever the hell I feel like doing with it. If I want the dial to be caution orange, then it is my choice and nobody should be able to tell me different or change it without my permission. However, these Swiss companies feel that they made it and if it has their name on it they still own it. Kinda makes me wonder what someone would do if they found a dealership service guy removing the aftermarket TVs from the headrest of an Escalade because they were not OEM equipment.

ken72

Renowned Member
19/3/06
When I owned my 112 base, I would wear it to several ADs. Never a panerai AD because one does not exist were I am from. Only into Rolex, Tag, Omega, etc. Never once did the watch get noticed or complimented. Not that I realy care either. I dont expect any dealer to be educated on watches. Just educated enough on how to open the case, take out the watch I want to see, and stand there quietly. I'll tell them anything they want to know at that point. The only time I ever had the watch noticed was at the airport and the guy asked if it was Panerai and how I liked it. He was wearing an AP.