• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breguet Tradition

KilowattHour

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/19
Funny you mention this, I used to own a gen Breguet with power reserve (an older model, not a tradition) and it behaved exactly like this, off the wrist the power reserve would sometimes get stuck midway. The watch was automatic though, not manual.

As for the copper color I have noticed with a lot of rose gold reps that they have this strong copper tone at first then with age it kind of fades away and the gold turns a bit more yellowish and more gen like, maybe this is what you noticed with the two ALS.
That's pretty funny that even Gen had this kind of problem. I've noticed in other replies here that other owners have experienced the same issue with this rep - so I guess it's a common problem with it, which naturally can make you think that the watch has a really low power reserve. But in case of mine at least, the actual PR is way above what it is on gen even.

I hope you are right about the rose gold changing color over time - the difference was pretty noticeable.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I have this watch (v1, RG, dark dial) ever since it was released, and can confirm that the PR indicator is a bit wonky. However, in my experience at least, the watch has *huge* power reserve. 65+ hours is what I measured, which confirms what they advertised. I simply ignore what the PR indicator is showing, and keep winding it for about 60 turns. It lets you wind it even though PR hand has long reached the maximum, and there's clearly some over-wind protection in place, as you can keep winding it infinitely.

After I wind it that much, the watch runs almost three full days, even though the power reserve shows that it's empty after only about 30 hours. So I think this is a problem with the power reserve indicator gearing being mismatched to what spring can actually deliver, rather than the power reserve being low. Another thing I noticed, is that power reserve indicator sometimes gets stuck half-way, but the watch always keeps running for 60+ hours regardless. In my experience, if I wear the watch, the PR indicator never gets stuck - it always reaches the end (after about 30 hours) but if I keep the watch in the box, face up, the PR indicator often gets stuck half way to empty. It seems like moving the watch around helps the PR indicator get unstuck. Other than this oddity, the watch is surprisingly well made, and I thought it was also fairly inexpensive, considering how unique it is.

In terms of looks, my only complaint is that the gold plating seems a touch too copper-y, and not enough gold-y in terms of hue. I've no idea what the gen looks like in terms of gold hue, so maybe my complaint is totally off base, but I've noticed that all the reps made in the past year or so seem to have switched to this new hue, which IMO looks less appealing than the RG hue they had before. Before, they had this rich gold hue to it, and now it's more copper-like. I've even seen the two identical ALS tourby replicas side by side, one bought in 2016, one in 2018 - the new one has this 'new' RG hue, identical to my Tradition, and it looks somehow cheaper than the older one. This annoys me enough that I've considered asking someone to re-plate the Tradition, to make it look as good as it can be. But I've no idea who to ask, or if it even can be done. If anyone here has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks mate. It solved my problem! I wound it 50-60 times and the power reserve lasted for 40 hours. Also the power reserve now is accurate, and didn't stop midway. When the power reserve needle almost reached null the watch stopped. So that is great.

Based on that I will from now on fully wind it 50-60 times the first day, and the following days give it 25-30 winds a day to keep it going.

krispee

1/5/12
Thanks mate. It solved my problem! I wound it 50-60 times and the power reserve lasted for 40 hours. Also the power reserve now is accurate, and didn't stop midway. When the power reserve needle almost reached null the watch stopped. So that is great.

Based on that I will from now on fully wind it 50-60 times the first day, and the following days give it 25-30 winds a day to keep it going.

Glad to see you sorted things out and that your watch works correctly, for the rep anyway. They are getting better at this.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
A little teaser :)

20190721-135945.jpg

20190721-135638.jpg

20190721-135614.jpg

20190721-135537.jpg

20190721-135659.jpg

20190721-135458.jpg

Reactions: krispee and csthe