• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breguet 7057 stopped working - guide to fixing

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
So i got the gorgeous breguet 7057 through and all was going well, until a week or two later, at half past 7 it stopped... following much swearing i thought ok whats wrong?

F7-C0-F4-E0-2953-4-D00-AB7-B-3-EDFB05-F81-FC.jpg

Forgive any piss poor terminology, im not a watch maker im just a tool maker with a collection of cheap ass watch tools ive picked up over the years as jobs dictate. Hopefully if you have the same problem (dont assume you have the same problem....) and the the balls to give it a go this may help you out!

There was power in the watch, i could both feel it through the crown and luckily it has not one but two power reserve indicators so that was ruled out. Rotating the watch side to side the balance wheel rotated but stopped after a few oscillations. I was thinking there may be a ‘spare’ aka built on a friday afternoon screw lodged somewhere in the gear train. Again luckily you can see straight through the watch. If you are familiar with the watch, the quick set gears on the back are separate to the main gear train on the front. I couldn’t see any screws in the front using a loupe, although you can see through the the gears pretty bloody well i still wasn’t ruling it out.

Time to open it up! I mean it was broken already, on paper i could make it more broken but it wasn’t running so balls to it, couldn’t get much worse than that!

9-A5233-D8-65-D5-402-F-B3-B8-F48194-CE020-A.jpg

Problem number one, how the hell do you open this thing up? After a while of trying to unscrew it using various rubber implements i had, I concluded no dice. It had to be a snap back but it felt super glued on! After many failed attempts i came up with the best method, open up a miniature vice so the lugs sit on the vice jaws and press down like a mofo using a case back lever. I have to mention, use as much protective tape or stuff on the jaws of the vice and the tool to stop them marking your case back. Hell use brass things if you have them, just dont damage your watch!

FB56289-B-3777-49-CD-8-C4-D-CFDFA11-E5-B89.jpg

So after celebrating with a cheeky vodka, phase two, what the hell is wrong with it? I started by taking the case back off the watch so i could let the power out of the spring. This is done by pushing the lever down (red arrow). In case you dont know you dont want power in the movement if your intending on taking any of the gears out because BANG there goes all your wheels.

EB6-D0-FFE-5-E7-C-40-CB-A720-0-DF691-F7-B1-FE.jpg

I then tried taking the movement out via the three screws on the back. DONT do this. Its a front loaded movement and its a pain in the ass trying to put screws in whilst holding the watch upside down. Next i popped the front ‘case back’ off using the same method. After much examination i realised despite the balance wheel being free, it only rotated to a certain point on the back stroke. I looked under the wheel and saw the balance jewel wasnt seated in the pallet fork, hence it was bouncing off it rather than sitting in it. So i carefully stuck my smallest screw driver into the jewelled end of the pallet fork and pulled it down to bring the other end towards the jewel on the wheel. I struggled with pics here sorry but ive done my best!

42-B4-D2-F6-7-EDF-467-D-9-A21-93-A5213475-AD.jpg

7-D94-CD51-979-F-4163-87-C3-D60-FA887073-A.jpg

C5-FC164-E-0877-4-B9-A-9-DE9-588-D67-EF5-A76.jpg

After giving it a little flick, boom it slotted in! A few winds on the crown and its good as new :) when re assembling ensure the little plastic seals are seated well in the case back grooves and use a press to clip it all back together.

I appreciate not many people will ever try this and would rather send it to a watch maker, but i thought it might be useful information just to have in the breguet thread. Again im not a watch maker and try this at your own risk but it worked for me :)

12376507-26-C8-41-BC-9-D02-9-A8047-CBAFA0.jpg

Tools needed:

Watch makers screw drivers

A case back tool

Mini vice (not essential but very useful)

Loupe, i use the weird ass glasses because im lazy and loupes hurt my face after a while. Plus the built in light is useful

A big piece of foam, again optional but its a nice surface to work on and avoids scratches

Protective tape

Case press for re assembly, optional but easy

Stawrberry lemonade Vape (optional but tasty)

Vodka (optional but good to calm the nerves when taking apart things you dont fully understand...)

FD8-C7251-03-A9-427-F-86-E7-6-FC6-A2036-B8-A.jpg

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Thank you!
This is a great and useful post

Last edited:

stretcherfetcher

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
30/6/19
I just enjoyed the drawing. Screw everything else. No but seriously good job!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sn95

aflop

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/5/13
Give the man a beer for crying out loud!
Learn something new daily on these forums thanks to guys like OP!

Sent from my MAR-LX2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: csthe

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Bloody Brilliant OP!!
Some Balls you got, Sir!!
Love the watch.

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
Good job man, you might have a talent for this stuff.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Very nice and useful post ! Thanks for taking the time !

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
Great thread , love the watch and love ur DIY attitude ! Congrats

jai04

19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
I wish a had your courage mate. Thankfully, mine is still working just fine. Seriously, I think this movement was deemed irreparable. I'll buy you a beer when we got a chance. Cheers mate.

Reactions: Dr Fun Socks

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I love mine, I have so many watches out with modders and never chase them up because I only ever wear this and my gen omega. If they changed the balance wheel it would genuinely be a super rep.

Well done on even daring opening the thing up! I thought about cleaning and softening the bridges...then thought nah fuck it no chance I'm screwing this up!

e26d95dcb746636499e39ce9b708439d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I love mine, I have so many watches out with modders and never chase them up because I only ever wear this and my gen omega. If they changed the balance wheel it would genuinely be a super rep.

Well done on even daring opening the thing up! I thought about cleaning and softening the bridges...then thought nah fuck it no chance I'm screwing this up!

e26d95dcb746636499e39ce9b708439d.jpg

Its a great looking watch, whats not to like! Im surprised they didnt sell more of them to be honest but i have heard the whole reliability issues rumour but other than this (apparently its called overbanking and its relatively common as an issue with some movements). Opening the bastard thing up really is half the battle though, all the parts are visible which is easy!

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Its a great looking watch, whats not to like! Im surprised they didnt sell more of them to be honest but i have heard the whole reliability issues rumour but other than this (apparently its called overbanking and its relatively common as an issue with some movements). Opening the bastard thing up really is half the battle though, all the parts are visible which is easy!

I LOVE Breguet, and I will buy ANY accurate Breguet. However, this watch, even-though it is amazing looking watch - is full of flaws...

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I LOVE Breguet, and I will buy ANY accurate Breguet. However, this watch, even-though it is amazing looking watch - is full of flaws...

I get there are flaws but its still 100x better than any lange rep! I guess its just a case of if you can live with them. I really like the watch so it doesn't bother me at all :)

ssouthall6

10/10/13

Yes it is you’re right, but there are several similar Breguet models so the position of the bridges, for example, is only glaring if you know the 7057 well.

I tried on a 2635 a little while ago. Very little difference in quality considering the £20k price tag difference

2c613f831c9699a70204d353835aff62.jpg

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Yes it is you’re right, but there are several similar Breguet models so the position of the bridges, for example, is only glaring if you know the 7057 well.

I tried on a 2635 a little while ago. Very little difference in quality considering the £20k price tag difference

2c613f831c9699a70204d353835aff62.jpg

Im with you on this. There are a couple of screws in different places, its not white gold and the balance wheel is different (but thats moving). Other than that at 0.25% of the rrp im happy haha

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Im with you on this. There are a couple of screws in different places, its not white gold and the balance wheel is different (but thats moving). Other than that at 0.25% of the rrp im happy haha

I wonder if it would be possible to shave out the holes a little more on the most left gear?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I wonder if it would be possible to shave out the holes a little more on the most left gear?

Its possible but balls to trying that by hand! I think cnc is essential and it would be bloody hard to hold it. Maybe a custom jig would be needed to hold it via the center 5 cut out portions or something? You would have to do the lower wheel too to match it up. Its a big risky task!