• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blue Aquanaut(s)

Seb75

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/12/22
Paris, France
Hello everyone,

While there are already tons of Aquanauts threads, Im gonna focus on this one on blue Aquanauts, whatever their size.
Having been a watch collector for about 6-7 years, I have built a (small) collection mainly based on blue JLC memovoxes (E875, Boutique, Timer, ...). Always looking for novelties on the market but never really convinced, a few years ago I found myself interested in the PP Aquanaut 5168G. I had the chance to try it on at the Paris boutique, but was told to have to put myself on a 6 years waiting list for a 35 k€. Kinda let it go and only recently got targeted, on social media, by a rep advertisment.
Didnt really know about Reps and all the underworld of it all but dug in, after that ad, and got to find this forum.

Been reading extensively about rep Aquanauts and figured that from pictures, quality seemed quite fine for 500€ pieces. After all, its roughly 1% of the price of the real watch now (47k€). So I read about TD and vendors, as well as about frankens and chimeras (is that the name ?).
So I recently ordered the following pieces :
- 3K 5168 from a TD, received the QC pictures about 10 days after the order and now waiting for the watch to be shipped (or has it already ?). My guess is that Im not gonna see it here until at least mid february
- KMF 5167 blue from a vendor who was able to source it. I read good review about this piece so I figure I could try it too, not being sure about the better size for me between the 40 and the 42. Should see some QC pics of that one in a few days.

I agree with the general wisdom about reps : they all have flaws and its never perfect. Im not gonna share QC pics because I believe its best to see the beast in the flesh... And I dont want you guys to spoil the surprise with all the new flaws you gonna see before me !
I might order a ZF 5168 version, just for the sake of it.

I want the watch to be a beater, just like the JLCs I use and ding and scratch all the time, so my understanding is that I will need to have the caliber serviced upon reception. Still have to find someone in Paris to do that for me, since Im not watchsmith (btw, very interesting to read all the technical threads on RWI).
I might franken it a bit, but I doubt it would go beyond a gen rubber and/or deployant, depending on how the rep ones feel on the wrist and the opportunities that may arise.

As for the piece(s) Im not gonna wear/keep in the end, I might just gift it to friends and/or family (they are not into watches at all, its all the same to them).

I'll share pictures whenever I get the watch(es)!
It will be interesting to have your comments on something that peaked in mid-2021 and how the factories have worked since. Will I get new production pieces or just leftover hastly put together?

Suspense !
Cheers

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Welcome to the rep world.

It seems that you did a lot of homework and enjoyed it, glad you did as it's part of the hobby.

3KF and ZF are indeed considered the best 5168G reps. Do note that gens are in white gold while reps are naturally in steel, so if you're used to white gold you may see a small difference. They are still manufactured so you should get a new model.

If you care about gen accuracy, then I don't think there is a blue 5167 model (can't remember) in gen. So if your KMF is supposed to be a 5167 then it would be a fantasy model. KMF is an older model FYI.

I would recommend that you start by enjoying your reps as they are before making additional investments. That applies to servicing (you can always fix them if and when they break), as well as to frankening: see for yourself what flaws you can't live with and then you decide how much you want to put in.

Finally just a piece of advice since you seem to be coming from Paris: there's been quite a lot of violent thefts for luxury watches in Paris like in other major cities so be careful when you wear them (or for your friends who you'll give away reps to), as thieves won't be able to tell that what you have on your wrist is a rep.

Seb75

29/12/22
Paris, France
Thanks for your reply !
Yes I know the gen in is WG, which btw doesnt have the same color/feel over age, but its not really a concern to me as I just like the shape/color of this piece, dont really mind which metal it is made from. Weight isnt an issue either.
The 5167 blue doesnt exist in real gen life, hence my "chimera", but why not. From the pictures I have found in reviews, it looks roughly to be at the same level of quality as a 3K 5168. But I will post a comparaison here when both are in my hands, should be interesting to see them next to each other. Then I'll see what I perefer to wear.
I've read some horrible reliability/bad calibers stories. Lets hope I dont get a lemon haha.

I've never had a watch issue in Paris, but then again Im wearing JLCs, which are not really the target of thieves, who are mainly active in a few specific areas over easy targets. Im no bling, I blend in!

Cheers

dullidulli

Certified
3/6/13
Would be interesting to see a comparison between yor 3KF and the ZF in case you will order the latter.
I‘ve owned the ZF for some years now and I use it as a pool watch only, because the yellow lume no. and indices instead of gen white bothers me. In addition, the dial is metal-shiny instead of gen matte blue.
Apart from this the ZF is a very nice watch, I‘ve never had issues so far with the reliable myiota.

Seb75

29/12/22
Paris, France
Indeed I plan to get a ZF once I receive the others, anyway with the CNY now is too late, im already gonna wonder, in the next 4 to 6 weeks, where in the world are the watches !
Priority is reliability of the watch, as for the look of it, only time will tell ! Im surprised to see so much lume on the different Aquanaut shots, not really judging but looking at my watches and wondering why there so so so little of it. The tiny amounts on the different memovox are actually useless, to be honest.
I havent read this observation about the dial, I guess ppl dont have the opportunity to compare gen and rep.

Reactions: mdal86

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Thanks for your reply !
Yes I know the gen in is WG, which btw doesnt have the same color/feel over age, but its not really a concern to me as I just like the shape/color of this piece, dont really mind which metal it is made from. Weight isnt an issue either.
The 5167 blue doesnt exist in real gen life, hence my "chimera", but why not. From the pictures I have found in reviews, it looks roughly to be at the same level of quality as a 3K 5168. But I will post a comparaison here when both are in my hands, should be interesting to see them next to each other. Then I'll see what I perefer to wear.
I've read some horrible reliability/bad calibers stories. Lets hope I dont get a lemon haha.

I've never had a watch issue in Paris, but then again Im wearing JLCs, which are not really the target of thieves, who are mainly active in a few specific areas over easy targets. Im no bling, I blend in!

Cheers
You may blend in less with a 45k euro patek on your wrist is what I'm saying ;)

Reactions: Seb75

Seb75

29/12/22
Paris, France
Héhé I'll be careful :D
3K from TD has been shipped on the 11th and parcel tracking seems to work. Expecting a few weeks of transit so Im gonna be patient !

Reactions: Tobel

Seb75

29/12/22
Paris, France
Update : the 3KF 5168 seems to have been cleared by china customs.

Maybe someday I should train on this replica to improve my skills :ROFLMAO: has anyone ever tried ? héhé

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
Great thread! I currently have a genuine dial for the blue 5168G, what's stopping me currently is the case shape of the 3KF. I feel like they have overdone the recess where the lugs meet the bezel (if that makes sense, attached a picture to highlight the area I am talking about). The old ZF case shape looked so much better to me, I believe Major had a gen dial in an old ZF case.

Seb75

29/12/22
Paris, France
Interesting, never really looked at this detail ! Lets see how this one turns out, I havent seen many recent "newly bought" 3KF on the forum.
So which case do you have ? The one you dont like or are you waiting to catch a "good" version on the forum in the M2M?
I havent seen side by side comparison of a rep and a gen, if you happend to have this on deck ?! :D

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
So which case do you have ?
Currently waiting to see if I can get an old ZF case. The plan would be to modify it to accept the 324 clone and white gold plate it. The end goal for me would be a fraken with a gen dial, hands, date disk and rotor.

Seb75

29/12/22
Paris, France
Do you mean that both 3KF and ZF did change their cases along the way ?
What about the 324, how reliable is it ?
I've seen dials, quite pricey but you see them around, but never seen date disk/hands/rotors yet !

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
Do you mean that both 3KF and ZF did change their cases along the way ?
I believe ZF did change their cases, if you look up old sale threads, you will see the area I highlighted above being different. Currently both ZF and 3KF seem to be using similar cases that have this issue.

I've seen dials, quite pricey but you see them around, but never seen date disk/hands/rotors yet !
There is a date disk currently in the parts section here, for the rotor and hands I have a jeweler in the diamond district who can source used ones for me.

Seb75

29/12/22
Paris, France
Makes sense, maybe they even source the case from the same workshop !
As for the DW and hands, I guess its a game of patience to snap what comes up (and is gen).
I for sure wouldnt be able to tell for sure if a gen is a gen.
You made me curious, I will dig up pictures from RWI to see how the case(s) evolved !

Seb75

29/12/22
Paris, France
Received the 3KF PP/5168G Blue from Trusty Time (see https://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking/LZ356513809FR).
Here is my first "unboxing" :D

OK, I know the watch has its flaws, please dont point them to me as Im pretty sure I havent seen them all :DDDDDDD

The strap isnt as bad as I thought it would be, same for the clasp. Im used to custom-made Camille Fournet straps on my gen JLCs, and this rubber one is fairly OK. Still a bit stiff but im sure its gonna get better.
One note : Im not used to screw down crown, so I am feeling uneasy using it, what the best way to treat the crown on these watches ?

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Thank you for the detailed write-up. I'm just now exploring the world of Patek Philippe, but a blue watch next to a brown sweater? Isn't that why we all buy different watches? In fact, being a Panerai guy, having the opportunity to secure a PAM382 Bronzo allowed me to buy some green and brown clothing, a welcome change from the gray/black/blue I usually wear that go with the colors of most of my watches.

Seb75

29/12/22
Paris, France
héhé its actually a beat-up black sweater, the indoor light makes it a bit brownish héhé... I must confess that I have several blue watches that I dress down with brown leather straps, it fits almost any outfit. I'll see how it goes with the aquanaut !

Route66

24/4/21
One note : Im not used to screw down crown, so I am feeling uneasy using it, what the best way to treat the crown on these watches ?
I would just recommend, be very gentle while screwing the crown back in. Don't force it if you feel that the threads are not properly matching, just turn the crown a little bit more and try tightening again.
Btw, lovely watch! (y)

Reactions: Seb75

Seb75

29/12/22
Paris, France
I would just recommend, be very gentle while screwing the crown back in. Don't force it if you feel that the threads are not properly matching, just turn the crown a little bit more and try tightening again.
Btw, lovely watch! (y)
Indeed its what I've experienced the first time I screw it out and back in after setting the time, I had some difficulties getting it back in and even remembering which way to screw (geez what am I talking about!).
Next time I have to set the time I wlll basically do it like a surgeon.
Does it deteriorate quickly over time or do you just have to be gentle and it will stay fine?