• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BLS Breitling Superocean 44mm Review

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Hello guys

Some people here may know me from other subforums (especially Rolex) and / or have read manuals or reviews from me.

Today I try myself on new terrain and dare to "evaluate" a Breitling.
I would like to say that I am not a Breitling professional, so my review will be rather superficial. In addition, you will find spelling and translation errors here, since I translate with deepl.
As a pseudo-comparison, I had a GEN Superocean in the same color a year ago.
color a year ago, but in 42mm.

This watch is what it's all about:

Wristshot and front view:

Bracelet:
The bracelet is very comfortable. It is of the brushing and quality like GEN. I'm not sure if it's because of the 44mm variant, but the screws come completely through the links, like Rolex bracelets, from one side. If I remember correctly it has a small deco screw on both sides and a small rod in the middle.
Vileicht it is different on the 44 in GEN, but on the Rep anyway it is screwed on one side with long screws - in my opinion much better than this Omega Breitling small screw garbage;)

Clasp:
If I had to name a weak point, it would be the clasp. All in all like GEN in terms of feel, but you have to put a little "effort" into it so that you have really nice and tight closure.

Engravings:
Top Level engravings, like GEN.

Crystal:
AR doesn't come close to GEN, the GEN had the best AR I've ever seen in a watch.

Bezel:
Bezel action like GEN, crisper than on a Submariner from Rolex. Colors are right as far as I can tell from the inlay (Am color blind), and there is also a rubber coating - though a little harder than GEN.

Dial / Pointer:
At the very center on the pinion you can see metal shine where on the Gen you see pure color of the second hand. However, this is really hard to see.

Crown / Case:
To my recollection, same as GEN - top finish.

Movement:
An AETA2824, perfect for maintenance and change.

All in all, an absolute buy recommendation, but the price is 298USD at the dealers, and that is nowadays almost a bargain. Absolute buy recommendation! (Too bad there is not in 42mm for slimmer wrists). Colors there but as far as I know all.

Merdydirty

Known Member
Certified
24/4/22
San Francisco
Thanks for the review, very helpful. I am in between 44mm this or newest redesign superocean with ceramic bezel being the selling point. Also I’d probably consider 46mm too as I have a beefy wrist.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

Yasuni

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/10/22
Germany
Thanks for this great review. I have searched on JTime and saw another Factory (TF) without the shiny pinion in the Center for Just 50 bucks more.

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Great review and I agree with the clasp issue. This is also an issue with my GF Navitimer bracelet. These Breitling metal bracelets all seem to suffer from a "difficult" clasp closing issue. They just don't snap into place like you'd expect...... very muted closing action and makes you second guess if its closed- almost like all these factories all get the same bracelet manufacturer for their watches ?