• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stripped Crown

mb_grant

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/12/13
Anyone can suggest a watchmaker who is willing to work on a rep in Los Angeles? I have a two week old 15300 with a stripped crown/stem.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
You could try Tonyy in conus, he's got his own watch repair section on the forum

Sent from my iPhone 5s Using TapaTalk2 S???R?I?????

mb_grant

9/12/13
Thanks Sharrkey. I've heard about 10:10, and was wondering about anyone else. I think I'll have to send out.

I saw a little gap, so grabbed a needle nose plier and tweaked it. I'm such a donut. If it ain't broke, don't try fixing - ugh!

Guess I should buy the 44 FC! That was one sharp piece.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
I know a few modders from other forums have gone AWOL lately leaving a trail of disaster, but can't remember their names! Stick with the watch smiths on Rwi and you will be fine going if you use services elsewhere and the shite hits the fan then you will be on your own, just saying.

S???R?I????? :sharrkey:

Sent from my iPhone 5s Using TapaTalk2 S???R?I?????

ciceroyeah

Renowned Member
8/8/13
may not be stripped. Did the tube pop out while screwed in? If so it's a design flaw common to all of the 1 to 1 15300 reps. The tube isn't stripped, it's just not well stuck into the interior metal ring that holds the movement. I squeezed the end of the tube a little with pliers to make it fit more snugly, then pounded it into the ring with a hammer (having disassembled and removed the relevant parts). Hasn't given me any trouble since then.

Also, the dial on those models can sometimes be problematic. The dial is about .5mm too wide in diameter, causing it to sit awkwardly above the ring it is supposed to snap into, thus making the bezel sit too high on one side and the rehault go off center. It is supposed to sit inside the metal movement ring, not on top of it, which causes the weird rehault dysplasia effect seen in several QC pics on dealer's sites:

994-6465-thickbox.jpg

Solution is simple: very carefully sand down the edge of the dial, making sure you sand evenly so it doesn't get off-center, until it snaps into the ring.

mb_grant

9/12/13
ciceroyeah : That's exactly the gap I had! It also sounds very similar to my situation... Needless to say, I'm not capable of fixing myself, so it'll have to visit someone. I'm sad that I messed with it as it runs fine, and after the baby oil soak and WD-40 treatment, the bracelet is supple. It's my favorite watch and I goofed it up!

Thanks Sharrkey about the fair-warning. I'll send Tonyy an email.

BuddhistGirafe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/13
Speaking of stripped crowns... the crown that rotates the bezel in my diver seems kaput.. as in won't turn a damn thing and feels janky. Any idea who would be able to fix that for me?