• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

B-52 spotted low in California

notAreplicant

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/6/19
Spotted a single B-52 in Sothern California about 5,000ft heading east. I have never seen a B-52 flying other than airshows :unsure::unsure:.
Usually is Blackhawks, super cobras and super stallions operating in the area.

My guess is it took off from LAX and things are about to heath up.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
What were you flying when you took the photo?

Reactions: tripdog

MyNameJeff

Horology Curious
19/9/16
B-52s take off from LAX? Surely they'd take off from a military base instead?

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
B-52s take off from LAX? Surely they'd take off from a military base instead?
No, they don't take off from LAX. There is the March Air Force base in Moreno Valley, CA that usually houses older aircraft's like the B-52(I've seen one there, as well as an SR-71). Unless it flew down from up north from Edwards, Travis, or Beale bases, then it will have flown out of March. March is the only airforce base in SoCal. The base in Los Angeles is a command point for space and missile systems. Vandenberg is for launching satellites, missiles, and space rockets.

No B-52 will fly out of LAX lol.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
LAX would not even be long enough for a loaded B-52 anyway. Hell, there are only 2 runways in Australia that can take them, Tindal and well, let's just say, "another one".

Reactions: KushBandit

RoloDexie

19/4/22
New Hampshire
Spotted a single B-52 in Sothern California about 5,000ft heading east. I have never seen a B-52 flying other than airshows :unsure::unsure:.
Usually is Blackhawks, super cobras and super stallions operating in the area.

My guess is it took off from LAX and things are about to heath up.
It is probably coming / going from March Air Force base in Riverside (Inland Empire). During the Vietnam war, it was possible to see dozens of them in "pattern" for landing. To the best of my knowledge, March AFB is where they live.

Reactions: TESLA760

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
No, they don't take off from LAX. There is the March Air Force base in Moreno Valley, CA that usually houses older aircraft's like the B-52(I've seen one there, as well as an SR-71). Unless it flew down from up north from Edwards, Travis, or Beale bases, then it will have flown out of March. March is the only airforce base in SoCal. The base in Los Angeles is a command point for space and missile systems. Vandenberg is for launching satellites, missiles, and space rockets.

This ^^ . I see them all the time from my house. They fly out of March AFB

Reactions: KushBandit

notAreplicant

21/6/19
My point is this was a once in a blue moon sighting. What ever it was doing was not normal procedure or routine operations it seemed.

RepIseek

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
7/1/20
Texas
We have the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison Texas, they frequently fly their WWII planes to air shows around Texas and usually fly over our house en route.

It’s music to my ears hearing those loud radial engines fly over on a clear, nice Saturday.