• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Aquaracer from Chrono24 Real or Fake?

Miggy G

Looking Around
23/6/16
Just bought a “GEN” TAG Aquaracer on Chrono24 from a professional dealer in Japan. Upon receiving the watch I searched the serial number on the TAG Warranty page and a Formula 1 watch pops up instead. Is my watch fake? I have already got in contact with Chrono 24 and emailed TAG. Just would like to find out from your guys perspective.

Marceau

Horology Curious
23/7/22
I have this same watch on my wrist right now with blue bezel/dial, bought in 2017.
The code on that is WAY111C so I guess yours should be some variation of that?
Possible that just the caseback was switched with another watch? I know they use the same case for some other models, for example the Automatic calibre 5 version of the aquaracer. The watches look very similar. Not sure if any of the above is helpful… maybe I could upload a wrist shot of mine which is guaranteed gen for comparison.

casder

Horology Curious
26/7/22
Many have the same issue ''I searched the serial number on the TAG Warranty page and a Formula 1 watch pops up instead'' and the watches are anthetic. i dont know why. i have readed in other forums

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
The rep Aquaracer models are so good I would not buy the gen for far of this reason.

Biggest question, did it come with all paperwork matching the watch model and serial number?

Last edited:
Reactions: KushBandit

GarySul

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/4/17
The rep Aquaracer models are so good I would not buy the gen for far of this reason.

Biggest question, did it come with all paperwork matching the watch model and serial numbe
Just bought a “GEN” TAG Aquaracer on Chrono24 from a professional dealer in Japan. Upon receiving the watch I searched the serial number on the TAG Warranty page and a Formula 1 watch pops up instead. Is my watch fake? I have already got in contact with Chrono 24 and emailed TAG. Just would like to find out from your guys perspective. Shouldnt the end links have stamping on the bottom of them? I had seen that in the past on the quartz aqua racers.

philiusmaximus

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/2/14
UK
Now I feel bad in case this is gen. But since you asked for our opinion I'll give it.
From a build quality point of view - pearl isn't central and date doesn't look central in the window.
I have a gen tag albeit a different model and build quality is top notch.

Prlx

Known Member
Patron
Certified
12/12/19
Japanese dealers are often legit, and trustworthy on Chrono24.
But the date "5" looks to be bent i top horizontal line..

Reactions: kavorca1

mosyzlak

Known Member
25/4/10
If the OP were sincerely asking, there are many possibilities as to what is going on with the watch. I am no expert in anything, & in watches, I have never been a Tag Heuer person. Speaking generally, it could have been serviced by a watchmaker other than authorized Tag Heuer, it may have been repaired, parts may have been replaced, etc., but presuming the history presented here is all true, the real way to know is to bring it to Tag Heuer & ask. Every authorized dealer has been accommodating & helpful. When unsure, they all seem to have a standard policy of referring a senior staff member, arranging an appointment there, or at another location.

Chrono24 has historically consistently made good on backing up authenticity when customer service is contacted, they mediate thoroughly, review carefully & hold the dealers responsible.

Of course people have tried to sell fakes as Gen, more often on Craigslist (for those who enjoy life-threatening, cash-only parking lot meetings) or eBay, which at best I can say has been risky & strange at best. In the last experience I had on eBay with a watch dealer for IWC (second hand from a legit jeweler in Beverly Hills), the seller refunded my payment tagged that it was no longer available for sale, then asked me to call them to make the sale without going through eBay. I politely declined & explained that I made a purchase in a proper store. But they still called me consistently for three weeks, leaving messages asking to make the sale.

Chrono24 always holds sale funds in escrow for two weeks after the sale, for buyer protection regarding authenticity & representation. I have no financial or commercial affiliation of any kind with Chrono24, but I can say that my experiences with them have been excellent. Even if something is on Chrono24, due diligence is still important, study the details, request hi-res images, vet the seller, & finally have your new prize purchase inspected by a Gen dealer as soon as possible within the 14 day purchase window.

Unfortunately, another increasingly common reason for threads like this has been scammers “testing out” a fake they may be thinking of trying to scam someone on, by asking around rep boards in a “QC”-style way, making naive seeming claims about a watch, then posting photos to see what kinds of flaws people on the forums point out. The vast majority here are keen to this, but are still inherently helpful & knowledgeable people, so there’s no real need to dress up the story, it is a helpful community.

Cheers—

Reactions: kavorca1

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Just bought a “GEN” TAG Aquaracer on Chrono24 from a professional dealer in Japan. Upon receiving the watch I searched the serial number on the TAG Warranty page and a Formula 1 watch pops up instead. Is my watch fake? I have already got in contact with Chrono 24 and emailed TAG. Just would like to find out from your guys perspective.
So what was the outcome? Had I seen this thread when you first posted it I would have recommended opening the case back and looking at the movement that would have most likely settled it one way or the other.

Star70

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
19/1/20
Yes,I agree with Rx4Time,it’s as easy as that

Knxvlln

Certified
14/5/20
United States
My two cents ... There are so many swatch group reps of incredible quality out there I wouldn't buy a Gen anymore. I've had my hands on an aquaracer Chrono gen w boxes and papers, and a rep side by side. The only way to tell the difference down to dust spots and fingerprints was to screw off the case back and examine the movement (if you cannot verify the serial with a simple email). I used to like the Tags when you can get a vintage genuine used on eBay with a real ETA for 300 bucks. That doesn't happen anymore. Most of the Swatch group watches used to use ETA movements that were just re-badged. Most recently tag and Omega started making their respective calibers, "5" "11" etc.. to end this generic under the hood trend and increase brand quality and price. There are some extremely high quality ETA, 7750, tag caliber, and Omega caliber clones made today. Some even have part compatibility.

If you don't have extensive knowledge about the specific watch and movement, don't buy it from anywhere but a retailer. If you have a watch in your hands you are uncertain about, take to any jewelry store or buy a case back wrench, snap a photo and email your Brand's customer service. One look at the balance wheel or other details and they can tell you if you have a genuine article.

If the deal is too good to be true, and you can't afford to lose that amount of money pass it up until you know if it is true. Or be sure and buy a top quality replica. Best of luck, I really would hope that a retailer like chrono24 that sells million dollar watches wouldn't let anything get by them.

Reactions: Hesekiel

Knxvlln

Certified
14/5/20
United States
I agree with what everyone has said, always sound advice. Wonder what the outcome was. If this is a quartz model .. didn't even know they still made them. Doubt they would put the level of build quality into a non Chrono rep and slap a quartz in it... But you can find anything I guess. Formula 1 classic models, most were quartz that could explain the confusion over googling the serial. Email Tag customer svc, they will clear it up ASAP. Or order a 2$ adj case wrench and keep your privacy. Either way