• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

APSF 15400 Small Review

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
Having taken a fairly longish break from APs with my last one being a JF V3 15400 with decorated miyota and thick caseback I was eager to check out the more recent offerings.

I am ultimately looking to either buy or build a 15400 Franken but to test waters on how good current reps are to use them as base I just purchased this APSF RO.

It is supposed to be „the latest APSF” which would mean that it is a V3 but I am not sure, may be a V2.

Anyway, I have to say I am blown away by the case / bracelet / bezel / crown / movement and their quality.

The coolest bit is the cloned 3120.

The bridges look great, I only wish they used a better rotor, why go through all the hassle of making a movement clone and then cover it with reddish/pinkish improperly colored tone rotor?

Thanks to the use of the clone movement the watch is properly thin now. Wow, it really makes the look. That’s why I prefer this over the 15500 which for me is too thick.

The dial has nice tapisserie, not totally gen like but very nice even under the loupe.

Anyway, let’s stop talking and post some pics:

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Having taken a fairly longish break from APs with my last one being a JF V3 15400 with decorated miyota and thick caseback I was eager to check out the more recent offerings.

I am ultimately looking to either buy or build a 15400 Franken but to test waters on how good current reps are to use them as base I just purchased this APSF RO.

It is supposed to be „the latest APSF” which would mean that it is a V3 but I am not sure, may be a V2.

Anyway, I have to say I am blown away by the case / bracelet / bezel / crown / movement and their quality.

The coolest bit is the cloned 3120.

The bridges look great, I only wish they used a better rotor, why go through all the hassle of making a movement clone and then cover it with reddish/pinkish improperly colored tone rotor?

Thanks to the use of the clone movement the watch is properly thin now. Wow, it really makes the look. That’s why I prefer this over the 15500 which for me is too thick.

The dial has nice tapisserie, not totally gen like but very nice even under the loupe.

Anyway, let’s stop talking and post some pics:

It would definitely deserve a gen dial. (y)

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
It would definitely deserve a gen dial. (y)
Yeah, would need to go black or white though, gen blue dials are too expensive. So I would need to order another rep base with correct black or silver background DW…

Would also love to plate the rotor or even better use gen rotor - anyone knows if gen rotor can be fitted to a clone 3120?

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Yeah, would need to go black or white though, gen blue dials are too expensive. So I would need to order another rep base with correct black or silver background DW…

Would also love to plate the rotor or even better use gen rotor - anyone knows if gen rotor can be fitted to a clone 3120?
You might manage to source a rep, custom or gen DW.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU

Alternatively, there might be blue customized rep dials but I'm not sure.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The first correct thickness 15400 rep at 9.8mm was one having a miyota movement, before the clone movement was released.

The gen dial looks very different from the rep one if you know what to look for. But the difference is academic as opposed to a tell in real life. Thank you for the nice review, wear it well.

Reactions: KJ2020 and Allure

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
The first correct thickness 15400 rep at 9.8mm was one having a miyota movement, before the clone movement was released.

The gen dial looks very different from the rep one if you know what to look for. But the difference is academic as opposed to a tell in real life. Thank you for the nice review, wear it well.
Oh, maybe I missed the thin miyota.

As for the dial, I think the biggest thing is how gen tapisserie looks more smooth, velvety, satin. No roughness at all in gen I believe.

Reactions: legend

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
@legend BTW, do you happen to know whether gen rotor could be fitted to a clone 3120?

They are pricey but together with gen dial it could do wonders to overall feel and still keep it below franken 116520 budget.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
@legend BTW, do you happen to know whether gen rotor could be fitted to a clone 3120?

They are pricey but together with gen dial it could do wonders to overall feel and still keep it below franken 116520 budget.
Yes the gen rotor can be fitted. But the worth of it can be pretty subjective relative to say the addition of a gen dial and hands set. One functional benefit of the gen rotor is that the heavier weight would allow a more efficient autowind of the movement. Of course the intricate details of the rotor can be admired too through the open caseback. All up to you.

alpharp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/12/21
A few watchsmiths here offer Rotor Plating, a nice alternative to buying a gen rotor. There is one on chrono24 right now for 2,600 USD. Be careful on chrono24, though. If you are trying to source a part like that, I would go with someone who has a direct source with AP. I was about to buy a gen dw on chrono, and legend's good eye was able to tell that it was a rep. Dial is a must in my opinion, I was able to buy my gen white dial for a bit over $800 USD. Watch is still beautiful as is, wear it well!

Reactions: Yellobird

rawbar

Horology Curious
29/12/12
I just ordered one yesterday, I'd been on the 15500 train but a TD had the 15400 ASP v3 w/3120 on sale for $299. I couldn't say no for that price.
I rejected QC today (12 o'clock indices weren't parallel), waiting for a new QC.

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
Which dealer sells a V3 APSF with clone movement for $299?

I literally ordered one at $508 yesterday for a base for my franken?

Caril

Known Member
16/8/22
Portugal
v1, with Miyota movement:
Movement: Base Movement: Japanese MIYOTA 9015 24J Automatic Movement at 28800vph (Same stability as Swiss ETA movements) Decoration: Platinum plated movement plate and rotor which are made according to the genuine movement, the best looking AP Calibre 3120 Movement

rawbar

Horology Curious
29/12/12
My mistake, I misread the 3120 part in the description. I thought this was a 3120 model. Still, for saving $200+ I'll stick with the V1 if the TD can find a decent one.

nathanwind

Horology Curious
30/4/23
NY, USA
@Yellowbird - how's your 15400 holding up after some time has passed? I literally just ordered one up yesterday, definitely looking forward to it....same specs, 15400/blue dial.

daytimenite

Horology Curious
4/5/17
Your date looks much bolder than mine, I think mine might be a v2, maybe it's just the photo's, ZF seem to have bolder font as well. Was the date font changed between v2 and v3?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Your date looks much bolder than mine, I think mine might be a v2, maybe it's just the photo's, ZF seem to have bolder font as well. Was the date font changed between v2 and v3?
For gen there are variations in the date font as well. Both thicker and thinner fonts exist.

Reactions: grillbrill