• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best SA to Franken?

TheFrug

9/2/09
Out of the v3 and ultimate which is the SA to Franken with a gen dial and Swiss 7750? Future mods may include a gen bezel but that may be a long way off.

I'm leaning towards the V3 because of the updated pro2 (the one on the ultimate is pants). Also I seem to remember the bezel on the ultimate can't easily be removed. The v3 also has an engraved rotor but of course this is not really a worthwhile consideration.

One member that I respect greatly has already told me to go with the ultimate but it's quite a bit more that the v3 and the bracelet is poo. The dial on the ultimate is great but not as good as the gen dial that is going in.

So what's the consensus, v3 or ultimate?

Cheers

Frug

notsobreit

16/9/10
from what I've learned in talking to SMIDSY
It sounds like the V2 case is a little better caseback and is a better case overall from a waterproofing standpoint...
both bezel and crystal are above par on the V2

the V3 is required if you wanted to upgrade to a gen bezel at some point
The V3 will accept a V2 caseback... so if you go V3, do the bezel and want to get a V2 caseback - you could do that...

both should fit a gen dial / datewheel

i cant speak to the quality of the V2 vs V3 bracelet
i am curious on this as I have a V2 on order and was planning on getting the V2 bracelet to hold me over until i source a gen

if you had any details on what "poo" means to you - that would be a fair trade of information!!!

TheFrug

9/2/09
If the v2 is what is usually referred to as the ultimate then that's what I currently have. By poo I mean not close to the gen. The pro2 on the ultimate is too thin. I've heard that the updated v3 pro2 is almost indestinguishable from the gen.

I plan on upgrading the bezel at some point. The bezel on my ultimate is busted and when I looked into repairing it or replacing it the answer from everyone was if I get the bezel off it's never going back on. This leans me towards the v3. I can put the caseback from my ultimate onto the v3 if it's better.

TheFrug

9/2/09
That's the one I currently have and funny enough that's where I got it 2 years ago. Movement has died, crown thread is stripped and bezel is busted, apart from that it's lovely lol.

When I franken (or rather when SMIDSY frankens :)) the new one, the rep movement will go into my ultimate to get that running again and I'll use it as my daily beater because dead or not and even with the naff pro2 I still love it lol

hmm looking at puretime it seems the ultimate is neither the v2 or v3 so looks like there are 3 types.

Not looking good on the pro2 front. Had an email from replicamake saying the updated v3 pro2 bracelet is no longer available and puretime only have the v3 on an ocean racer :(

BCE

Known Member
23/3/10
I have a thing against v3 because if you pop the bezel off, the crystal comes with it.

IMG_2420c.jpg

I would go for a v2, even it does not fit gen bezel very well.

TheFrug

9/2/09
I think the way I'm probably going to go is v2 with an ocean racer and try and source either a v3 or gen pro2 later. SMIDSY says that he has put a gen bezel on a V2. It's not easy but it can be done.