• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen vs rep DSSD. Part 2. Lots of pics

aratron

8/2/11
I been meaning to write this follow up post for some time, finally got some time today. This is the sequel to the gen vs rep DSSD post I wrote in June. Last time, we compare a gen DSSD to a ultimate 21J version of the same watch from Lay. We compared some of the more obvious flaws last time, under intense magnifications. Meanly, the pearl, lume markers, bezel engraving, bracelet engravings and crystal. This time, we are going to look at some crucial things we missed under magnifications last time.

f-vs-g.jpg

First thing first. Let’s have a good look at how damn close the rep is to a gen at arm length. The truth is, unless you have an extensive knowledge of the minute differences between the two. It is virtually indistinguishable. I will have you figure out which one is a rep.

tn_g1.jpg

tn_f1-1.jpg

Gen first and rep next. Same for the rest. Here are the shots of the escape valve gen first then rep. Extremely close in terms of construction and dimension. In fact, if I do not label them, I bet no one can tell which one is which.

tn_g2.jpg

tn_f2-1.jpg

tn_g3.jpg

tn_f3-1.jpg

Rehault engravings. We can see the rolly crown is much simplified on the rep. The font and style is similar to the noobfactory Rolex rehault I have seen. The detail is lacking and you can clearly see uneven lines throughout the engravings. I am not certain how these things were applied, but it reminds me of electric pencil marks on firearms. The gen engravings are well defined of course.

tn_g4.jpg

tn_f4-1.jpg

Original Gas Escape Valve engraving. In terms of construction, the gen and rep are quite similar. Wording were engraved and filled with enamel after.

In case you haven’t figured out the arm length shot. Rep is on the left and gen on the right.

f-vs-g.jpg

There you have it. All the “flaws†we been looking at are really none existent just a few feet away.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Wow... I figured that the GEN was on the left. Back to the drawing board for me!

As a potential DSSD GEN purchaser, I am awfully glad that I found RWI. It saved me $8,9750.00, and possible even more because I was going to get one from the bay.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Nice review. Thanks.

Looks like the Gen's HEV sits a bit closer to the bezel than the rep. Or the rep case is that much thinner. :thinking:

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
That is a horrible pearl! Rest of this rep is very good.

f-vs-g.jpg

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
The non triangle pearl base compare to the gen us also a big tell. V5 bezel offer triangle shape.

aratron

8/2/11
The entire bezel for that matter is off. But again, most people are not looking at it under a loupe so for all practical purposes and the price. Good enough. I am curios to know any fixes for the pearl. The gen pearl is hard to replicate correctly. I posted this June. FYI

tn_R3.jpg

tn_F3.jpg

Gen on top then rep.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Are the triangle edges straight or slightly curved in on the V5 bezel?
And is the pearl the right size proportionally to the triangle?

11pbZp.jpg

aratron

8/2/11
Wow, that V5 pearl is even worst. Looks nothing like the gen if you ask me. BTW Q5, just shipped your watch.

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
Are the triangle edges straight or slightly curved in on the V5 bezel?
And is the pearl the right size proportionally to the triangle?

11pbZp.jpg
This has a nice dial..But a bad case and pearl..

The one in the comparison has a crappy dial ,pearl too wrong,the triangle in the insert wrong, bezel teeth wrong, etc...
Also if you catch in your hands the dssd you can understand that it is the from wrong steel..
The crystal also makes great difference..

I think dssd rep is not a good example of rolex reps....
That's why i sold mine and if you can see it was one of the best modded..

Watchnuts2

Known Member
25/7/11
My bezel on my ultimate (I think it is a V6 according to BK's comparison of the seal on the case backs) it is soo stinken loose that it will rotate a minute just by looking at it. FYI was from Mary in 7/2011.

That is the only thing that bothers me. Everything else is loupe stuff I do not really care during the day but like to know about. Thanks for the pictures.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Hi aratron
Very good work!
Well done my friend
Thanks for share it

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Care to fix it for me? Since I just bought it! :rofl:

I though about mucking with mine, and frankly if I had some some blue lume from Garreth I would have.

It drove me so nutz Q that I just sold it.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
Actually Version 5 is a good DSSD to start for modding. Its min dial size is close to gen. I know they finished the lume in gloss coating which is oppose to the matt finish of gen.

If you are willing to spend some money. You can send the V5 to goin for relume. As for the pearl, you can prick it off and get a better after market pearl.

But if you start with a Version with rounded pearl base. Its hard to turn it into triangle shape.. File the ceramic? Its not impossible but its hard to get it right.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
Found it in about 10 seconds. Just click on the guy's name that posted the thread and you can search his posted threads.