• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone try any of these domed acrylic crystals for 5 digit Rolex/Tudor?

rwc1313

Horology Curious
22/1/22
Figured this forum might be a bit more forgiving for asking this question as I know some may see this as “franken watching”. I have seen a couple people selling these domed acrylic crystals specifically manufactured for 5 digit Rolex/Tudor watches, mainly Submariner models. I have a 79190 and since it would be relatively easily reversible I’ve been considering trying one of these out. Of course I would save the original sapphire and could put it back on later. But I love how the old high domed crystals look and think with the matte dial it would really pop. Has anyone tried one of these? I haven’t heard any reports of water resistance but I wouldn’t really trust it either way.

There is also a user on Instagram under the name @_hiiih_ who looks like a talented watch maker and also offers crystals like these, some of his are even tinted. I’m not sure I’m into the tinted ones, but kind of a cool idea none the less…

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
I’d say do it! Your watch, your business…
It’s reversible, but watch out for water resistance issues etc…

Personally, I think the dome fits on the vintage style watches but worth a try…

geoffdragon

Supporter
Certified
18/5/21
Uk
Sorry for the slow reply, but I've only recently become active again...

I did this on my 30 year old 16610 sub. I also added gold hands and a rivet bracelet....

The Lobtime low dome acrylic fitted perfectly. I've not pressure tested, but did test in sink, shower, then washing the car, and swimming and I've not had an issue. However I did use hypocement after fitting, round the bottom edge of the "crystal" before the steel ring was put on.

Hope this helps.

geoffdragon

Supporter
Certified
18/5/21
Uk
and yes, that is the original insert faded naturally over the years of hard wearing.

Reactions: MrWrong25