• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone know where I can get some nice replica sunglasses?

10acErnie

Known Member
6/4/06
Anyone know where I can get some nice replica sunglasses? Like Maui Jim's or Oakleys? Is there a replica sunglass forum?

Roeod4

Respected Member
14/3/06
I don't know about a forum, but I have read a post in the past that said replica sunglasses were pretty much garbage. Unlike watches, they do not even try to recreate the same quality or specs (no pun intended) of the original. I think it compared a Gen Rolex sub and a $15 rep.

I will try to dig up the thread and post a link.

higgy

Respected Member
Advisor
17/3/06
Probationary dealer on this forum, luxury4world has sunglasses. You might want to check out their site.

Higgy

Bigshooter

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
You can get them at the Tulsa flea market. (not sure that helps you tho')

luckyyy

Getting To Know The Place
17/3/06
here i see every day tons of sunglases - ray ban, Oakleys, versage, cartier and so on :wink:

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
I'd be very very leary of buying rep sunglasses. This is one area I will buy gens. The purpose of sunglasses are to protect your eyes and to put trust in a pair of rep sunglasses to do this would be IMO, naive.

Not worth the potential price!

the_CEO

Getting To Know The Place
22/3/06
I agree. I purchased a pair of Whalers (Maui Jim) and it was the best purchase that I've made outside of my Oakleys. Comfortable and they control glare greatly.

Don't bother with reps on sunglasses. It's not fooling your retinas.

10acErnie

Known Member
6/4/06
Good point. I cause enough damage to my eyes staring at this computer monitor. Maybe I'll get another pair of Maui Jim's.
I left my last pair at a restaraunt. Somebody scored!!!

craytonic

21/3/06
Ugh I wish I could get rep sunglasses for my girlfriend... She goes through a ~$350 pair at least every six months - doesn't even use them on her eyes, always in the hair or purse!

Bigshooter

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Happy T said:
I'd be very very leary of buying rep sunglasses. This is one area I will buy gens. The purpose of sunglasses are to protect your eyes and to put trust in a pair of rep sunglasses to do this would be IMO, naive.

Happy T said:

I wouldn't worry about replica sunglasses as long as they are Polarized and have UV protection they won't hurt your eyes, no different than cheap sunglasses as long as their Polarized and have UV protection your safe.

Polarized lenses cut out 50 pecent of light (vertical or horizontal). You can tell if lenses are polarized by taking two identical pairs and turning one lens sideways - there will be a blackout!

You can also get a UVA checker, its a little card from an optometrist, their cheap and tell how much protection the sunglasses have.

Heres one for $2.95
http://www.flinnsci.com/Sections/printSpotlightDisplay.asp?ID=125&cat=3

Roeod4

Respected Member
14/3/06
Well damn, you learn something new every day. I am going to pick up one of those cards today and go get a new pair of sunglasses. I just lost my pair of Bolle a week ago.

onexchef

Known Member
17/3/06
higgy said:
Probationary dealer on this forum, luxury4world has sunglasses. You might want to check out their site.

Higgy

I checked with them. $35.00 per pair plus $30.00 shipping for Ray Bans = 2/3 price of genuine. For me not worth it.