• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Yall Like Champagne?!?

Autococker07

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/10
Its the only white I really enjoy... I know weird right? So far the best I have found is (year really..) Dom followed VERY (like scary close) by a $30 bottle of Mailley Grand Cru.... have had a few other noteable bubblies, none of which really rang my bell enough to make me repeat.. but I WILL have a bottle of Dom when i return from deployment.. that stuff was GREAT!!! that being said, I wish I could find the Mailley again, that was 99% of the Dom at 1/4 the price..... <sigh>

hooligan76

Known Member
4/7/10
Give a bottle of Louis Roederer Brut Premier a try, it's really awesome! Some of the best I've ever had & can be found under $50 with a little searching.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
The big brands are for foreigners and night clubs :)

You can find very good champagnes from small producer at very reasonnable prices. I can check with our local shop if you really want to order something.

RolexAddict

Dealer (watch buildings)
Trusted Dealer
27/10/07
What you need to know :
In France big producers like Moët, Veuve Cliquot, Canard Duchène, Perrier Jouet etc. etc... don't have enough wineyards to produce million of bottles they sell inside France and export worldwide.
They buy generic Champagne from little producers, make assemblies, and put their brand stickers on.
That's why its better and less expensive to buy from little producers as you get 99% exactly the same quality

Autococker07

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/10
Give a bottle of Louis Roederer Brut Premier a try, it's really awesome! Some of the best I've ever had & can be found under $50 with a little searching.

Yup, Roederer Rose is my #3, and a very good wine.... as far as consistancy goes, I have had two cases of Rose (03 and 05) and I could definately tell the differance between the two, but it was very subtle... the style is def there in force in both. I have tried the brut premier sparkling too, anotehr great wine and can be had for well under $50 where we are (Gulf coast US, about $32-$38) I just like the Rose better, and it is usually only $10-$12 more...

I have heard of the 'best' wines staying in Europe, but for differant reasons... ie, the EU folks typically will just not pay the insane prices, and there are plenty of grower champagnes that are substantially less... I dont think that would nessecerely mean the big houses are bad, just that you can find a great wine with a little patience and trial/error... Most in the US (including myself) have just enough wine knowledge to be dangerous...

As for buying champagne from little growers, I know they buy grapes from all over, but though the big houses typically did their own distallations..... I would think that would be much cheaper than paying for an assembled product... and give them a little more control when it comes time to mix down?

I wish i had been into wine when i was in Germany.... I was so close to being able to get to France and have some of that fantastic grower bubbly! LOL

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
How about sparking wine?

2006: Wine Advocate 91 "The 2006 Brut is a blend of 58% Chardonnay and 42% Pinot Noir. Medium straw-colored, it has a classy nose of mineral, biscuit, apple, and baking spices. Crisp, bright and creamy-textured, this superb sparkling wine begs the question, 'Why buy Champagne?'" -JM

$28.

2006_BRUT_bottle-440.jpg

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I agree, you can find some pretty descent non-champagne sparkling wines.
But a GOOD champagne will be much better than the best non-champagne sparkling wines :)

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
My personal all-time favourtite is the Perrier-Jouët Belle Epoque 2002. A must if you can get it, and afford it.

But for an affordable, branded Champagne, I favour the Laurent Perrier Ultra Brut NV, and the Roederer Brut Premier that hooli76 recommended.

However, what wizard said is for the most part true though; the bog-standard big houses make some pretty poor examples of Champagne for the price they charge just for the name. Moët & Chandon white label, for example, is pure garbage!

electric

I'm Pretty Popular
14/11/12

You can find very good champagnes from small producer at very reasonnable prices. I can check with our local shop if you really want to order something.

Do you have a favorite?

TimeExplorer

Horology Curious
24/9/13
Look in the 50-70 usd range. The bottle should say "rm" near the bottom in small letters. Think "Swiss made".

electric

I'm Pretty Popular
14/11/12

Do tell!

TimeExplorer

Horology Curious
24/9/13
I actually prefer Veuve to Billecart. VC uses a higher amount of Pinot Noir, which I love in champagne.

electric

I'm Pretty Popular
14/11/12
I'm in it for the lower sugars and the whole ages in caves thing, you should look for canard duchene it's tight with VC an 1/3 the price.

Taze00

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
7/8/13

This guys knows what he's talking about. I was thinking the exact same thing. More money = image like most watches.

I have had several that were good. Can't remember the names. Only thing I've noticed as a down side is it goes really fast and before you know it your thinking to yourself "is it gone already" haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

electric

I'm Pretty Popular
14/11/12
These days it's all marketed, like grey goose produced vodka for Kirkland at Costco, it was really good and it was three bottles for less then the price of one.