• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ANF factory?

Appalachian

Horology Curious
6/8/22
USA
From reading multiple threads I realize GF is the best factory for Breitling, but an Avenger Seawolf model I really like appears to only be made at ANF. I have not found any of this model on the TD sites that are listed as GF, some don't specify the factory but a few list ANF. I like the watch but also want the best quality I can get. Any opinions on ANF? I tried several searches and didn't see anything.

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
GF does not make all the watches. ANF is what I would call a 3rd tier factory. GF being 1st tier. Sometimes you don't have a choice. I have a few ANF. See if JF, BP or Noob makes this watch. Older versions don't list the factory name. You will have to ask the TD who is the maker.

Reactions: Appalachian

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Also, find the model number on the caseback in one of the watch photos and go to BreitlingSource.com. You can compare the details to ensure the version you are buying exists. Sometimes the factories make versions that don't exist. I have an older Breitling Chronomat with the wrong caseback because the JF factory didn't bother to make the correct caseback. I wanted the white dial, so I bought the watch anyway.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
As said ANF is not great, I can live with differences to gen but if the finishing/quality is not great I would not be intereste.

Link to the watch?

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
GF makes a 45mm seawolf. Take a look on Trusty. This is not the correct color dial.

Appalachian

Horology Curious
6/8/22
USA
GF makes a 45mm seawolf. Take a look on Trusty. This is not the correct color dial.
So one of the TDs responded and said the watch I linked above is from GF, although their website doesn't specify. I wonder if that's correct.

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
If you are using a Trusted Dealer you will receive a GF watch. It is very difficult to become a "Trusted Dealer". They are not going to jeopardize their TD rating by not selling you what you order.

Appalachian

Horology Curious
6/8/22
USA
If you are using a Trusted Dealer you will receive a GF watch. It is very difficult to become a "Trusted Dealer". They are not going to jeopardize their TD rating by not selling you what you order.
Good to know, thanks!

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
a) anf is probably disappointing in finish.
b) the watch you linked is anf
c) I can't find a gen version of that model. Fantasy model perhaps?

Appalachian

Horology Curious
6/8/22
USA
a) anf is probably disappointing in finish.
b) the watch you linked is anf
c) I can't find a gen version of that model. Fantasy model perhaps?
Interesting. Is a fantasy model something a factory created on their own?

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Yes. I have no idea why a rep factory, who is trying to replicate the gen as good as possible, makes a version that doesn't exist. There must be a market for them, otherwise they would make them obviously. But yes, they do create them there self.

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
I think many buyers don't know any better and they have parts left over from a similar watch. I have a JF Breitling Chonomat with a case back from another model. They have been selling it with the wrong case back for years. JF knows it is wrong.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
I would say it’s how much a factory is willing to invest into a particular watch, eg as good as GF is the Breitling Avenger II DLC caseback had the ref number of the ss models, dials black/blue/white. They nailed every other aspect of the watch though.

Reactions: tkingjr

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Yes, but that's just the lack making a effort. Using a wrong case back or using left over parts is one thing. But there are also factories that come up with a complete fantasy models by using dial colors that don't exist, bezels (and cases) with 'diamonds'. They surely did a effort to make those things.

Reactions: tkingjr