• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

An open post to all.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
legend, I remember scanning this thread earlier and noticed a statement which I thought was interesting. Wanted to comment on that particular statement then, but didn't. Now, I re-read (its in latest activity) and don't find such statement which included something like "nerve-wracking experience" or such similar phrase.

Maybe it is the 18yr old single malt - I find perusing RWI and generally this hobby sort of cathartic and relaxing with some fine Scotch in the evening

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend, I remember scanning this thread earlier and noticed a statement which I thought was interesting. Wanted to comment on that particular statement then, but didn't. Now, I re-read (its in latest activity) and don't find such statement which included something like "nerve-wracking experience" or such similar phrase.

Maybe it is the 18yr old single malt - I find perusing RWI and generally this hobby sort of cathartic and relaxing with some fine Scotch in the evening

You had me at 18 yr old single malt. Man of taste. And by extension, man of substance. I would happily share a drink with you when the opportunity arises sir.

Reactions: Allure

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
If that is the dark side, I hope the puke buckets are included. Lol

I take offense to you mocking our flight training.
I will send you my personal address for delivery of a 25940SK.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I take offense to you mocking our flight training.
I will send you my personal address for delivery of a 25940SK.

Hahaha didn’t see that coming
You’re insidiously evil :hehehe:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Allure and Storm.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
You had me at 18 yr old single malt. Man of taste. And by extension, man of substance. I would happily share a drink with you when the opportunity arises sir.

Thank you Sir. I believe you are in Singapore and will be glad for the opportunity to have some fine Scotch with you when I travel that way :)

Blue Ocean

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/12/17
Thank you Legend for raising the bar on our Franken builds and educating us on the minor details that make the difference. I personally enjoyed every post. I am one of the quieter members here but I wanted to give my opinion on this.
Thank you for going above and beyond in helping us source parts when you could and giving us honest feedback on where to spend our money.
Thank you for being around. Your knowledge in our community is precious
cheers

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Next time take the Ari Gold approach…..
ari gold hug GIF

klockjohan

El Patron
5/12/15
EU
I must say that I have not encountered any hostility here.
When I started to buy APs, I was curious to see if this section of the forum was any different from the Panerai section, where I spent most of my time.
It is not.
Legend is very active, correct, and polite.
Members are helpful.

My 5 cents

Frank Martin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/4/20
U.S.
Dear Gentlemen,

It has been brought to my attention by the good staff in the admin team, that a good number of you feel that the AP section is hostile, unwelcoming, perhaps elitist, and insular in nature. I have also consulted with the admin team trailboss99 daytona4me C Master Steelfish and fellow staff member and friend QueTip before posting this so please bear with me.

I acknowledge that while being fixated on the watches and details, I have inadvertently trampled on the feelings on some of you during the process. For this, I do apologize sincerely. It has never been my intention to hurt any one of your feelings, or to disparage your builds. My focus has always been on the watch details and their description, and never the owners who present them. I have hence overlooked a lot of your feelings, and left some of you, especially the franken owners, sour. Just a little background of my knowledge source: I am a gen watch collector, and currently have in my collection over 70 APs. The ownership, along with my relationship with the brand, forms the primary source of my knowledge and experience. On the other hand, I am also a modder who have worked on a lot of AP reps, and combining the two, I am painfully aware of the differences between the gen and rep APs too many a time. So even when there is "consensus" or mass agreement that a certain detail is "accurate to gen" or "1:1", I sometimes see the need to correct it.

I am going to say sorry for the hurt I have caused to some of you (especially the AP franken owners), but I will not retract my statements I made as being false. So this is how it will work moving forward for this section:

1. Everyone and anyone is welcome to post and share his/her modded piece and frankens. I will no longer make any academic or potentially upsetting comment on the modded/franken builds (this excludes courtesy comments) unless I am tagged by the OP or the watch owner and asked for my opinion specifically. If approached this way, I will learn to be more gentle in my reply.

2. I will no longer offer participate in debates pertaining to the accuracy of details, unless tagged by the OP, or a respondent. This will exclude courtesy, straight-forward yes/no replies, comments which will not upset anyone or banter-style comments.

3. If anyone needs help, please PM me direct.

So yes, I have learnt that there can be such thing as too much information. But yes, I need to remember that this is a replica AP sub-section and not a gen one. I shall keep the worlds separate and distinct from now, and will ask each of you to do your best as well to do so, and try to remember that these are AP reps, and avoid terms like "1:1" or "gen-like" because when these terms are used and left unchecked, they do not become the truth, but can lead to a community being misled by a certain fallacy or inaccuracy of detail. Nevertheless, I shall comply with the forum owners and admins wishes to put the big picture first, and create a diverse and integrative environment for AP rep enthusiasts, and be more welcoming to the noobs and the departed veterans alike.
My intention is never to hurt anyone and my focus has always been on the watch. This will need to be balanced out more optimally, to allow for everyone to participate more openly, without feelings of being marginalized, scorned or excluded.

Thank you for your patience, and kindness in allowing this transition to happen. Like many of you, I will be looking forward to this new chapter and what it brings. Will it be challenging for me personally? Naturally so. But I guess I have to learn to put aside what I know for what is good for the community. Thank you for your graciousness in helping me to make this happen in a positive way.
Now if anyone has an AP franken you will like me to put down, you will have to PM me direct from now. :legend: (Just joking).

Peace be with you all. And thank you for your patience.

Legend
As a rep collector of limited experience I appreciate your comments and points of view. You have the distinct advantage of having a rather large gen collection to compare with what is often advertised as a 1:1 rep. I personally don’t believe such an entity exist. Obviously some Frankens are much more detailed and closer to the gen than the before mod. Most of us are striving to find a rep that is as close to a gen as possible.

Zees Watchdiary

Come on you Reds!
Gold Patron
2/1/22
Love this post and at the same time dont understand why someone like @legend had to go through this. Tbh I too dont understand why people are so overly sensitive to straight talk. Am I missing something?

Shea9798

Horology Curious
15/9/23
Anyone in here can service audimars or who’s has the best experience with that?