• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AliExpress Factory RM50

j2rep

Known Member
13/9/19
Before splurging $800-$1000 for my dream, a RM Sapphire Crystal Tourbillon, I decided to take a test run on this $25 AliExpress RM50 McLaren lol

I have to admit it, I love it! It’s got a mechanical “Mecha Quartz” movement which has been working fine and is just fun to wear.

A few days ago, I splurged at the local Wendy’s drive-through and forgot I had it on. The kid who handed my order over noticed the watch and said “love the watch”. I thanked him and went on my way. Next time this happens, I may just give the admirer the watch!

Another successful AliExpress Happy Ending.

Pics for your viewing pleasure.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Can you verify that it's a mecaquartz? Sure looks like a seagull from the front and I went hunting for decent mecaquartz reps/homages and came up empty handed.

j2rep

Known Member
13/9/19
curious, which rm sapphire tourbillon costs $800-$1000

Actually, it’s more like $1300 for the ultimate blue sapphire case one that I’d want.
There’s a clear case RM11 chrono that’s a lot less, around $500.
I’ve seen them both on Puretime.

j2rep

Known Member
13/9/19
Can you verify that it's a mecaquartz? Sure looks like a seagull from the front and I went hunting for decent mecaquartz reps/homages and came up empty handed.

The seconds hand sundial is at the 6, and is a Quartz. The chrono runs smoothly (somewhat) and the dials at 9 and 3 are Quartz. It resembles the mechaquartz movement found in a TH Monaco I have.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
The seconds hand sundial is at the 6, and is a Quartz. The chrono runs smoothly (somewhat) and the dials at 9 and 3 are Quartz. It resembles the mechaquartz movement found in a TH Monaco I have.

Does the big date function at all? Every mecaquartz with a working big date I've found has a big date that's way too high to fit an RM case properly, but I see there's a 4:30 date as well. Is the big date just deco?

j2rep

Known Member
13/9/19
Does the big date function at all? Every mecaquartz with a working big date I've found has a big date that's way too high to fit an RM case properly, but I see there's a 4:30 date as well. Is the big date just deco?

That’s right, the big date at the top is non-functional and is set at “28”
The one at 4:30 is functional.

Reactions: GiantSquid

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
That’s right, the big date at the top is non-functional and is set at “28”
The one at 4:30 is functional.

That makes a lot of sense, glad I didn't somehow miss a big-date mecaquartz in my search! I love those movements, it's a shame they keep ending up in shitter-level cases most of the time. I wish they made the correct deco for the RM50 instead of this RM11 hybrid thing they've got going, since I could use that for my RM50 project instead of making my own.

Reactions: j2rep