• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Albino Explorer - revisited

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Earlier this year , Raffles released an Albino dial and I snatched one up and aged it and completed my first albino 1016

as time passed I felt that I went a bit overboard on the aginig. , on the wrist it looked good however when you get it close it just didn't have the believable look that I Was after

So I pulled it apart and removed the radium burns using some iso propel and foolishly didn't dilute it and it removed some of the print on the dial . D"UH!! At first I was pissed because the print on these dials is soo crisp and clean that it was a shame to damage it. but how it did end up damage does look like legit wear and age.

Not all is lost I aged the white dial to an attractive ivory tone with some dry detail brushes from tamiya and this is what you get. a prototype build that looks old and worn but not abused.

The story of the albino explorers is that blank dials were used to test the print pad and then were meant to be destroyed but somehow a few missed the bin and ended up in the world and now fetch a premium. The appearance I settled on was one of a dial that had a poor pad print and then was kicking around a watchmakers parts bins for a few decades until it was dug up and used.

I got the urge to mess with it the other day , thnking that I would put it back together and sell it on but damn...I really like this thing right now....so its not for sale yet...but perhaps oneday soon.

Afternoon sun in my studio was just hitting right yesterday..

As always comments and questions welcome.
thanks for looking

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
hmm ... would the word PERFECT be considered as a comment ? 😁
congrats for your work and dedication to details ...

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
hmm ... would the word PERFECT be considered as a comment ? 😁
congrats for your work and dedication to details ...
Thank you my friend. If not perfect. Pleased would be a close second. 👍🏼

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Hes back with some more dial options....one worse than the next.... looks soo natural "refinished"

Reactions: freebalkany