• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A short review of the APSF 15500 A4302 clone caliber

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
First off I have to say that this is an independent review of the watch in terms of absolute quality.
If you do not wish to read my rambling, the short and succinct takeaway from my post is that this is the best Royal Oak rep movement (and watch) released to date IMHO.
No gen parts are needed to enhance it IMHO, except perhaps the upgrade of the datewheel to gen. Minute differences exist between the two datewheels but nothing which will worry anyone in real life. Do take note that the date font is less than 2mm tall and there is no magnification cyclop on it.

This watch belongs to an owner who sent in the watch for a service due to movement stoppage.

zOQ02P.jpg

Upon inspection of the parts, I would need to comment that the movement is very well put together. The finishes of the individual parts are a little rough, and of course not as well finished as the gen. But I need to reiterate that this movement is fully comparable to the 4130 clone movement, and it is amazing for the price. The date change mechanism replicates the AP 4302 caliber one perfectly, you can expect instant date changes which work as well as the gen one.
This movement arrived dirty and dry (reason for the stoppage) and needed a movement overhaul and regulation.

This is what the timegrapher shows after the service. Not shabby at all and a joy to work with. The watch runs very smooth after the service, starts easily and autowinds like a dream.

zOQxuS.jpg

The caliber plates have been cleaned and refinished lightly, and is pretty decent after the work without the dirt stains. Note the date change mechanism in the pic. It looks and works 100% like the gen (yes I took one of my gen 15500s apart)

zOQVjQ.jpg

All in all, for the AP royal oak afficionados, get this watch while you can. It is the Noob Daytona movement for the AP ROs, and is an evolutionary gem for the community. I will recommend you get the movement serviced and regulated by whichever watchsmith is in your vicinity, as the two which I have worked on so far both arrived dry and dirty. The movement alignment and machining for the parts used are very well done, compared even with the cal 9015 from Miyota. This movement is a lot more robust as well. Power reserve tested for this specific movement after the service is 70.5hrs after a full wind.

raspan1123

Patron
Certified
1/2/17
Thanks for that insight legend! I’ve been lurking your takes on those reps for years now and always appreciate them.

Just took delivery of a ZF15500 but your “get it while you can” creates some FOMO. I was thinking about the APSF but changed my mind last minute.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks for that insight legend! I’ve been lurking your takes on those reps for years now and always appreciate them.

Just took delivery of a ZF15500 but your “get it while you can” creates some FOMO. I was thinking about the APSF but changed my mind last minute.
My "get it while you can" comment was an allusion to what happened with the Noob factory. Guys were taking it for granted that the Noob daytona will always be available but we all know what happened thereafter.
So same for this movement, it is a gem for the AP rep community and those who want one can get one with peace of mind.

Reactions: Allure

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
All in all, for the AP royal oak afficionados, get this watch while you can. It is the Noob Daytona movement for the AP ROs, and is an evolutionary gem for the community.

sign me up GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Thanks for the review and opinion, wanted to add a Royal Oak but was not high priority on my AP wish list but your insight has bumped it up a couple of places:)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
sign me up GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Thanks for the review and opinion, wanted to add a Royal Oak but was not high priority on my AP wish list but your insight has bumped it up a couple of places:)
From number #56 to #34 I am sure. Hope it has been helpful lol.

Reactions: Allure

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
From number #56 to #34 I am sure. Hope it has been helpful lol.
Nah, definitely made it into my top…..
Finger GIF by funk

Still counting…..
Hold On Reaction GIF by Justin

The results are in…..
Fah Love GIF by FoilArmsandHog

• Haha
Reactions: Lariram

kokikoki

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
7/8/22
Thank you sir @legend - just waiting for your review before pulling the trigger. Will place an order now

ApIcedOutt

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/6/19
Thanks for the review ! Do you see it getting better in time you think this is all it’s needed.?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks for the review ! Do you see it getting better in time you think this is all it’s needed.?
I think that like the noob A4130, we should not expect improvements to the parts of the caliber per se. I doubt that the factory will also ship the movement in clean and well-oiled conditions.
So this is largely it. Minor tweaks may be made in due time but I highly doubt that they are warranted or that they will bring the movement to a new level.

DerpyOfficer

DerpiestOfWatchmakers
Patron
Certified
8/2/20
Thanks for the great little review of the movement @legend. Looking forward to servicing mine when it arrives.

X24222

Known Member
Patron
12/1/22
USA
I think that like the noob A4130, we should not expect improvements to the parts of the caliber per se. I doubt that the factory will also ship the movement in clean and well-oiled conditions.
So this is largely it. Minor tweaks may be made in due time but I highly doubt that they are warranted or that they will bring the movement to a new level.
Hey Legend - thanks so much as always. If we need service or to swap a part, would gen parts work (like on the Noob v4)?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hey Legend - thanks so much as always. If we need service or to swap a part, would gen parts work (like on the Noob v4)?
A lot of the parts are in theory interchangeable. Some won’t be due to machining tolerances.

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
Awesome write up, thank you Al. Out of curiosity, what’s your personal opinion on the dial on the APS? Would you consider it good looking and visually passable on-wrist with a decent finishing and shine on the grand-tapisserie? Will be getting one of these either way, that instant date change and power reserve is amazing.

Reactions: WatchFreak!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The dials are nothing like the gen (any color) but they are nice on their own. It’s sufficient for you for real life wear.
For me, the wearers are always the first tell (or suggestion that the watch is gen) for APs so don’t worry about the watch too much and just enjoy it on your wrist. I doubt anyone will call your watch out based on any detail on the watch per se. Trust me on this.

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
The dials are nothing like the gen (any color) but they are nice on their own. It’s sufficient for you for real life wear.
For me, the wearers are always the first tell (or suggestion that the watch is gen) for APs so don’t worry about the watch too much and just enjoy it on your wrist. I doubt anyone will call your watch out based on any detail on the watch per se. Trust me on this.
You know me bro, I can make a Casio look like a rep with the way I dress.

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
Great write-up Legend, although it will cost me as it's another on the list. Despite the flaws in the dial, Is there a general view on which dial colour is the closest?

Reactions: legend