• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 build

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
A few weeks back I decided to purchase a mbw 1680. I have to give credit where credit is due... I had really liked Edge's (Chris) 1680 he's been working on and it inspired my interest in this vintage. I've been bugging Chris with question after question and he has been very helpful on many different fronts. I value his input and would like to publicly thank him for putting up with me. Its nice to have someone to ask questions that has been there done that and willing to help. A true example of the helpful people here.

What started out as a watch purchase and replacing the tropic has now turned into a full mod project. I believe I have stepped far outside the arena of what I personally can do and will most likely have to turn this project over to someone who has the skills required. (prob several people) I have to be honest with myself and my abilities. I can replace a gen tropic and afford to screw it up... screwing up gen dial's and such is another story. Right now I have a gen dial, gen crown, and gen tropic. I'm considering a gen insert if I can find one somewhat reasonable. (like any gen part is going to be reasonable...lol)

This watch will be a work in progress for some time and I'll post pictures as I go. I welcome comments, opinions, and advise with the last of those three being most appreciated. :)

Edge

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
HAHAHA!!

It has been a pleasure working with you to try and create a beautifull watch. I will help you out in any way that I can. With regard the parts, the replacement of the parts you ordered isn't too difficult and I am willing to talk you through most of it step by step.

You can send the watch out for mods/repair to a number of people I am working on 6 at the moment lol for members here and at RWG, so sending out watches is regular. I do advise you try it yourself because the feeling of satisfaction is worth the effort.

If need be send it out, but I am willing to continue to help in any way possible.

Chris

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
Edge said:
HAHAHA!!

With regard the parts, the replacement of the parts you ordered isn't too difficult and I am willing to talk you through most of it step by step.

My arse just puckered up while reading the "isn't too difficult" part of that sentence. HAHA!!

BTW, did I tell you about my hand shakes since quiting drinking? :wink: :D

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
Watch was received several weeks ago and I thought about not doing a thing to it. It really is an exceptional watch out of the box. After having the watch in hand I can see why many say mods are not needed. It is very good.

As much as I desire to do some of the mods myself I know better. My skill level and the expense of the parts I've bought make it a smart move to have someone with a bit more skill and knowledge tackle this. As such this project is on its way to Joe. I believe Joe will be taking pictures along the way and I'll post them as we go.

Here are a few before shots:

DSC01576.JPG

DSC01562.JPG

evan

31/3/06
I would be so nervous to do anything to that beauty. No faith in myself, I guess.

madSub

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/4/06
I just was attempting to mod an old SUB rep into a vintage sub like yours since I picked up an NOS plastic 127 "crystal". I have to give you credit for having the skills and patience on your watch. It sure can be frustrating at times. Good luck on your project. I just love the raised plastic 'crystal' on the old 1970s Subs.

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
The transformation is just about done. More pics to follow soon. :D

happy_t_red_1680_to_a_white_before_and_after_003.jpg