• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A couple of assumptions for new rep

xquisitor

Getting To Know The Place
15/6/13
A couple of assumptions...knew people will like that :)

If I get a rep that is supposed to have an asian clone 2836 can I assume it's a new movement and not in need of being serviced? Puretime offers a service for around 100 usd and I would think this is not needed?

And the water proof/test they offer...I also assume this would not be necessary and if I want water proofing I should get that done locally?

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
If it ain't broken don't bother getting it serviced, if you want a waterproof rep best to spend the money on a seiko and wear it in the water, and your rep when you come out

Sent from my iPhone 5 Using TapaTalk2 S???R?I?????

Vester71

Known Member
9/11/10
Odds are it could use a servicing, but like they said, if it works don't service it. Waterproofing is something you need to do - but never a guarantee the watch will pass the pressure test. Most will be fine waterproofed, but you never know.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
The service cost might exceed the movement's replacement cost, for one thing.

Water proof? Hmm. Water resistant at best. Swim with a genuine dive watch: Seiko, Citizen, Squale, Orient, et al.

OmegaPOFL

Renowned Member
10/3/09
first of all.. I wouldn't get it services from a dealer..

and I'm pretty sure they put new Asian movts in there.. now if it were a "Swiss" movt.. then it has a good chance of being used movt.. that'll need servicing.

even though dealers will say.. Water resistant to 30m.. it's seldom true. Again I would use a third party modded to do these..

Luthier

Respected Member
30/9/09
:rofl:
But seriously, bro... There's no such a thing, as "used ETA movements". It was discussed million times, and nobody ever gave an answer, where the heck factories can find thousands of used ETAs. It's all buuulshiiito!!! ETAs widely available in China.

D

d4m.test

:rofl:
But seriously, bro... There's no such a thing, as "used ETA movements". It was discussed million times, and nobody ever gave an answer, where the heck factories can find thousands of used ETAs. It's all buuulshiiito!!! ETAs widely available in China.

Ahhhh, now you're just playing semantics. :p

They may not be used, like from a garage sale or from someone's basement, but they're definitely not minty fresh. Used refers to either rebuilt, refurbished, new with bad or rejected construction, new with shavings from sloppy engraving, new with bad oil jobs or cracked jewels, or anything else with major issues before you open your mail. In reality, this could apply to a minty fresh Swiss ETA that was just handled badly by a 9yr old Chinese slave child or 19 year old college frat boy for 30 seconds and then thrown into a "so-so" pile on the workbench.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Assume nothing when it come to reps, its all a crap shoot brother.

OmegaPOFL

Renowned Member
10/3/09

They may not be used, like from a garage sale or from someone's basement, but they're definitely not minty fresh. Used refers to either rebuilt, refurbished, new with bad or rejected construction, new with shavings from sloppy engraving, new with bad oil jobs or cracked jewels, or anything else with major issues before you open your mail. In reality, this could apply to a minty fresh Swiss ETA that was just handled badly by a 9yr old Chinese slave child or 19 year old college frat boy for 30 seconds and then thrown into a "so-so" pile on the workbench.

yes that's what I meant when I said used.. refurb movts etc

Luthier

Respected Member
30/9/09

None of the above, mate. Many chinese factories buy absolutely "brand new" movements directly from ETA, without any problems. Of course, if some small factory buy 500 movements - they'll be the last in line, but if a factory order 1000-5000 movements - they usually receive the shipment in about 2-3 months. All new, in cases, untouched, right after QC in Switzerland. I visited many factories in China, and I've seen it by my own eyes. Never seen any "Buy used ETA" posters anywhere in China. And no, there's no any 9 y/old slave kids. But I've seen many 19 y/old workers, who doing their operations quite well.

elconquistador

Respected Member
Certified
10/6/10
The eta's in the crpo's have something wierd going on. They all look like they were driven hard and docked wet. Either they are used or they purchased eta base plates and build them up with chinese parts and pubes.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
So large well known Swiss brands aren't being supplied by ETA, for example Tag Heuer which have used ETA movements forever and are now using Sellita and are unable to receive stock from ETA but some rep factory in China is being well supplied, BULLSHIT.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Just curious: Can a distinction be made between the quality of a new ebauche and the quality of a completed movement? You can stack corroded plates on a new ebauche and create a crappy looking movement?