• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Advice on building a 1675 Cornino

Max72

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/12/13
Hi,
I'm toying with the idea of having a 1675 built. I've been reading lots of older threads, while I was able to find valuable info, I am now confused:
what would be the best rep watch to use as a base for a Cornino build and which TD sells it?
thank you for you help
Max

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
I'd start here:
http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/124540-building-of-a-1675-cornino-from-a-1655/

chiman12, on 07 Nov 2010 - 12:49 AM, said:We discussed here about how a Josh 1655 would be a good candidate for a 1675 project. In fact, a couple of members, including Star69 has already built a 1675 from the 1655.

Even though it isn't 100% complete, I thought that I would give an update on my 1655 conversion to a 1675 Cornino.

Of course, the most distinctive feature of the 1675 Cornino is the pointed crown guards. I could not find any references of how the crown guards would look underneath the bezel assembly and I thought that Rolex would just not file the crown guards to a point. I believe that the they had to be sculpted, in that the CG curves and blends with the case. So the case visited the chiman CG spa and here are the results...
P1013765.jpg

While I was sculpting the CGs, I also softened the edges of the case

I purchased a bezel assembly from ewatchparts.com, afterall it was the cheapest. Needless to say, you get what you pay for, because the bezel insert sucked, it looked like paint didn't completely transfer onto the insert and the bezel didn't have a pronounced coin edge. Oh well, both can be fixed easily. The mag on the rep crystal was a bit weak, so I installed a Sterny 116
P1013783.jpg

For the dial, I chose an NDT gilt chapter ring dial. I wanted to do something different to the dial and I really like the looks of my Tudor California dial, but I can't seem to find the original post discussing the dial. But in any case, here it is...
P1013786.jpg

I want the same pebble effect as my California dial. I think it turned out really well, but Rolex purists would say otherwise. I accomplished the finish by spraying the dial with clear matte Kryon finish and I then proceed to get a folded up paper towel and dabbed at the dial to soak up the excess finish until I got the desired effect.

The only GMT movements that I see in reps are the gen, modified ETA, or Asian GMT movements. I did a lot of research on GMT movements and decided upon this for my project...
P1013794.jpg

It is a Zodiac 75B and a pure GMT movement. In fact, the size of the GMT post on the 75B is the same size as the gen Rolex GMT hand, while the minute, hour, second hands are all ETA spec. In addition, the date flips exactly in the same direction as the 1575, so I used a gen-like date wheel from wholesaleoulett990 as an overlay for my project. But, once again, I strayed a little bit from the norm and installed a roulette wheel...
P1013784.jpg

But there was a slight snag in my project that I had to overcome. When I applied the wholesaleoutlet overlay on top of the original date wheel, the combo was too thick and the date wheel was rubbing against the dial and didn't flip properly. The solution? I flipped the dial rest around and the problem went away! You can see the edge of the dial rest in the pic and the date wheel now flips without any problems. So why did this work? When you install a dial back onto a movement, you'll notice that the edge of the dial rest actually receeds a bit into the dial rest groove. By flipping the dial rest around, it no longer receeds into the groove and you get that additional bit of space for the date wheel to flip properly.

I'm currently aging the hands, in addition I broke my small GMT hand so I need to source another one, but here are a few pics with the watch put together without hands, but it does have the proper 5.3mm crown...
P1013792.jpg

P1013790.jpg

P1013789.jpg

I would say that this project is 75% complete. I need to change out the bezel insert for a better one, most likely a faded gen and I'll fix the bezel so it has a more pronounced coin edge. I also discovered that the Sterny 116 cyclope was off to one side. I checked with CousinsUK and Sterny sells two different versions of 116's, so I'll grab the other one and see if it fixes the problem. I'll also touch up the insides of the CG's a bit and slap on a nice Yuki rivet bracelet on it

I'll post an update once I get the watch completed.

Max72

7/12/13
thank you for the interesting read, the Zodiac movement is really hard to find, would a Perfect Clones 1675 be a good base for the PCG Cornino?

Max72

7/12/13
I keep reading about this fabled Cartel's 1655 as the best base watch for the 1675 build, who are these Cartel sellers???

DVNE

Put Some Respect On My Name
7/11/12
trusty and perfect clones. They aren't trusted here so buy at your own risk.

rols16610

20/4/12
I keep reading about this fabled Cartel's 1655 as the best base watch for the 1675 build, who are these Cartel sellers???

The trusted dealers on rwi can get you the cartel watches.

Contact Sead (super mirrors) he sourced a cartel 1675 for me.

Most of the other dealers should be able to get them also

Sbybbuser

I'm Pretty Popular
20/7/12
The thing with using cartel 1655 as a base is that you need to buy a complete bezel assembly (i got mine from WSO).
And the end result the case is still a bit thicker compared to gen.
I had mine thinned by JJ (Rolexaddict). I haven't seen the end result yet but according to JJ, now it is as thin as gen.
So, in my opinion, if you don't want to spend too much on your project, get the 1675 as a base watch.
You save on the 1675 complete bezel assembly. Ans maybe you can ask JJ whether he can make the cartel 1675 as thin as gen.

DVNE

7/11/12
Cartel 1675 bezel is wrong as well so if you want a more accurate rep, you'd still have to purchase an alternate bezel assembly

JAFO

16/10/13
One of the first things I bought for my 1675 project was a complete bezel group and insert from Clark's. Gary's bezel is kick ass. It comes satin finished so Kevin polished mine when he was putting it together. I think I paid around 70 bucks for the bezel group, not including the insert. Added a new Clark's plexi too.

JAFO

16/10/13
Here's a shot of mine, from back when Cwazy was giving it the vintage relume. This is the bezel group you need, or at least what I recommend:

ABBAB084-7084-4FC5-93AC-7D617963C22A_zpsp0uzajgh.jpg

Max72

7/12/13
thank you guys, a lot of good info.
BTW who's WSO? I'm such a noob LOL

JAFO

16/10/13
thank you guys, a lot of good info.
BTW who's WSO? I'm such a noob LOL

Go with Clark's. I'm not knocking WSO...I'm just saying if it was my money then I'd go with Clark's.

Max72

7/12/13
What would be a better alternative to the Chinese DG3804B movement?