• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5 Years with my Mille Miglia Grand Tourismo GT XL

Trabel1929

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/4/18
A short reflection on 5 Years with my Mille Miglia Grand Tourismo GT XL

Bought this from Trusty about 5 years ago as my “traveling” watch.

Was my first rep purchase and I recall endless scrutinising the QC photos and the joyful but painful wait for it to arrive.

Was blown away by the quality and feel of the watch when I first got it, and it compared well to my gens. Tbh I really couldn’t tell the difference to the gens (Omegas, Rolex, Breitlings). Ordered the box and papers with it, which tbh I think may have been in storage in somewhere humid as I was less impressed with those, though they are still with me now and only ever really ornaments anyway as I travel a lot so keep my daily wearers in a watch box for convenience. (despite traveling almost constantly for the last 5 years with just two small bags, I still manage to carry a small 5/6 watch collection with me) somethings in life too important to compromise on ????. The strap also didn’t have the “vanilla” gen smell as indicated on the website… this would indeed have been expecting too much.

For the watch itself, I wasn’t aware in those early days of not using the chrono, and in my excitement I did. Over time I noticed the 6pm dial would “slip”. So Id have to run again in order to reset it to the 12pm position. I believe this is down to “clutch slip” on the chrono movement (this one is a Valjoux 7750 clone I believe). Strangely over time this appears to have cured itself and the dial now sits happily at 12 o clock position and I never run the chrono and never will again… I presume it still works, but tbh have no reason for find out or to care. The watch itself has performed faultlessly otherwise for the last 5 years, its in regular rotation, probably being worn a few days per month, its been in all sorts of conditions, on motorbikes, in endless bars, in humidity of SE Asia and the cold of the UK, been on boats and in salty conditions… never submerged but for sure showered and rained on, and never missed a beat. Most amazing of all is the case shows no scratches of note at all… not sure how this is achieved although I am always very conscious when I'm wearing any watches. (although I did accidently bang my VSF hulk into a bar stool the other day … which seems to have come off unscathed) . Anyway, Im not sure if these watches are still in production, I think mine was stored for sometime before I got it … but it’s a beautiful watch that has given me a lot of pleasure and I still love the design, quite different to a lot of things, it’s a big watch, but my wrists are less than 7 inches and I don’t find it too large.. although it is heavy, still comfortable though for all day wearing ( much more so than my Hublot Big Bang which I really cant wear all day) .. A great watch and always be special in my heart as my first rep. I’ll keep it forever and if / when the movement gives out I guess it should be (hopefully) transplantable with another 7750.

kswiss1900

Patron
Certified
12/9/21
UK, Glasgow
Thanks for the empirical research. I wish you another 5 years :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trabel1929

8/4/18
Many thanks , I don't know if I have been specifically lucky in that I've never had a rep fail yet, and I know these 7750 clones don't have the best rep. But of my small collection of about 9 watches collected over the last 5 years including this one I've never had a fail yet (hoping to not tempt fate). Although we often read of the weakness of some movements I do wonder what the actual emprical failure rate would be... could make for an interesting survey of members here.

Reactions: kswiss1900

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Nice story and watch thanks for sharing. I only travel with 3 watches and even then I'm scared that customs will accuse me of being a mule or laundering. I'd be petrified with 6!

dangerdan3

Renowned Member
3/12/20
That was a good read, cheers for posting. Before I knew about reps, my travel watch was a pre-bond quartz Seamaster 200. I bought it used for a couple hundred bucks and had a new battery and seals put in it every year. It was perfect until the movement gave out. Unfortunately the dual coil thermo-compensated units are pricey AF to fix so I sold it as a non-runner. Man I miss that watch.

Trabel1929

8/4/18
Nice story and watch thanks for sharing. I only travel with 3 watches and even then I'm scared that customs will accuse me of being a mule or laundering. I'd be petrified with 6!

Thats a very good observation. Tbh, its never really crossed my mind. I've never had an issue ... in fact ive never been stopped in over 500 flights by customs for anything (so far)... although Im usually in SE Asia... so I guess given the amount of reps in that part of the world its probably not high on the agenda for the region.... even in SG (my home base in the region) there is a huge amount of Reps.. although probably even more Gens.. R factory is like currency over there.