• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3135 Movement Comparison (Gen/SA/SH/VR)

Phen1970

Horology Curious
2/8/21
Vsf 3135 is nice improved movement.

Thank you for the reply. I found your thread with the movement pictures and it seems everything is better except the reversing wheels? Do you have any additional experience regarding them since then? Would it be better to replace them with VR ones if possible or would you say they are good enough?

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Thank you for the reply. I found your thread with the movement pictures and it seems everything is better except the reversing wheels? Do you have any additional experience regarding them since then? Would it be better to replace them with VR ones if possible or would you say they are good enough?

Good enough

Reactions: Phen1970

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
Same thing but with a deco plate to mimic a gen balance bridge. Problem: it’s harder to regulate because you need to remove the auto wind assembly to access the lever beneath the deco plate. You can stick with the older one

Reactions: plonker

AG91

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/3/22
Hello everyone! I've been reading to you for a while and trying to learn ... I'm going to get my first rep and I would like a Sub 116610 LV Hulk, at the moment I understand that the most accurate factory in terms of aesthetics is the Clean. Mount a VR3135 that I understand the difficulty of a possible adjustment, but will it really be necessary as soon as it is purchased? at the first service I will replace the bridge and the balance wheel with the gen, the date spring will be hardened and if we can we will put some jewels where it is missing ... in this perspective of replacement, better the VR or the VS? I seem to have understood that the vs uses soft materials that do not last long and are not 100% compatible with gen, despite the better aesthetic finish, can you confirm?

AG91

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/3/22
Wow - Just read through this from first to last post. Absolutely incredible insight from so many members.

(Before I ask my questions -- wanted to make a minor contribution to this thread. For any other newbs like me, this Rolex Cal3135 parts list and diagram has served as an incredible reference material when trying to follow the thread: https://imgur.com/a/DOiXMpG
​​​
I am a long time lurker... Have multiple reps but FINALLY attempting my first Franken. I have done a ton of research but still have three "newb" questions I was hoping this group my help iron out as I get started on my build:

1. Can I get an opinion / confirmation that this movement I am purchasing is in fact a VR?
2. Has there been a definitive list established of what parts ARE compatible for swap with GEN on a VR3135? If possible (For esthetics only), I would like to swap the seven (7) components that my research has indicated will be visible when you open the case back. Has anyone successfully swapped out the following:
  • 130: Winding Bridge
  • 110: Train Wheel Bridge
  • 145: Automatic Device Module
  • 217: Yoke for sliding gear
  • 300: Click
  • 118: Balance Guard
  • 305: Ratchet Wheel
(Note, I see that SH components have been swapped successfully for several of these. I am asking for gen specifically)

3. More in line with the actual purpose of this thread... what else is essential to replace with Gen. I noticed a few of the items in the list above have been mentioned in this thread (either Gen or SH swaps), I have also seen folks reference these (below) Anything else I NEED to swap?
  • 301: Click spring
  • 421: Pallet Fork
Thank you everyone for any help you can provide and for all the incredible info that has been posted already on this thread!

were you able to replace all these components?

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
I've a totally nooby query just now. I've not touched a VS3135 before.
Does the VS3135 stem work in the VR3135 movement please? It sure does right? Big thanks to anyone who can confirm this for me.
@KJ2020 @Oascom Do you happen to know please?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've a totally nooby query just now. I've not touched a VS3135 before.
Does the VS3135 stem work in the VR3135 movement please? It sure does right? Big thanks to anyone who can confirm this for me.
@KJ2020 @Oascom Do you happen to know please?
Yes, VS and VR 3135 stems are the same. An SA 3135 stem is not gen-spec though.

And ofc 3235 stems are different from 3135s.

• Love
Reactions: McDuck888