• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2836 - Swiss or Clone?

TrulyCraven

Horology Curious
30/1/20
I recently purchased a watch that was advertised as having a Swiss 2836 movement, but when examining the movement, I believe it is actually an Asian clone. This is based on information in the ETA 2836-2 vs Clone - how to tell "Swiss" from "Asian". That said, I wanted to get a second opinion before asking the seller (who I am confident was not malicious as they had also bought it second hand) about it.

First, here is a photo of the overall movement. As you can see, there are no engravings at all (with the exception shown below), which is the first thing that made me question it being Swiss.

The thread refers to the gears being shiny or dull as a way to tell, though from the photos in the above thread, both appear dull to me. Mine similarly appear dull, so potentially something indicating Swiss.

Hopefully a more helpful feature will be the shock absorber system and the engravings indicating regulation directions.

The shock absorber lacks the "three recesses" of the Swiss example. It is clearly a Novodiac style shock absorber. Thinking that the single example of the thread may not be definitive, I attempted to find examples of an ETA 2836 that had only a single recess, but was unable to.

Since the clarity of engravings could be used to determine this, here are the engravings near the regulator. These are the only engravings that can be seen on the movement (at least without disassembling it or removing the dial). The engravings are clear and well defined. The only potential issue I see is the "+" is practically falling off metal. However, I imagine that could be the case on either Swiss or Asian movements.
What are everyone's thoughts? Do you agree with my conclusion that this is an Asian 2836? Are there examples of ETA 2836 that have no markings, be it a model number, brand, or even the number of jewels?

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
That is a clone 100% sure

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Yep, Asian clone - Radical Dave called it.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
your movement tabs are also missing ....