• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

15400 Dial APSF vs Gen

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Niiice

Do a comparison hands and dw also if u like, it would be nice

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Am I half blind or are the rep and gen dials look similar? I was told earlier that APS dials are nowhere close to gen ones.

Wacht

Renowned Member
6/7/20
I believe it's quite close. But when the light hits the apsf dial it will show what will look like lighting artifacts. This because the slanted sides of the reliefs are jagged. The blue color is a bit too light, but not that it bothers more than aforementioned. The print is also pretty weak

Last edited:
Reactions: dashindark

WatchNoobs

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/9/22
I think they are quite different. The gen one is darker, the prints are finer, sunburst is quite clear. You can see the quality difference. On the other hand, the apsf one goes bling bling under sunlight which is way too much, color is def on the lighter side. Its a bit hard to capture all these on photos but in person u can see the differences. For the trained eye its quite easy to tell.

Reactions: dashindark

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
From these pics I start to think there is no $5500 difference there.

Luckily black and white gen dials are cheaper, I will now wait for my black 15400 franken to be completed by Nikz and then let you guys know whether it was worth it.

Genta2014

Patron
Certified
31/3/14
What a difference with the blue gen dial , also the text Swiss made is way more accurate. Also dial color is more rich on the gen blue dial

Reactions: WatchNoobs

raspan1123

Patron
Certified
1/2/17
the gen dial sitting face down on fabric giving me anxiety o_O

Singapore Collector

8/8/17
I think they are quite different. The gen one is darker, the prints are finer, sunburst is quite clear. You can see the quality difference. On the other hand, the apsf one goes bling bling under sunlight which is way too much, color is def on the lighter side. It’s a bit hard to capture all these on photos but in person u can see the differences. For the trained eye it’s quite easy to tell.
Nonetheless, pretty sure it’s uncalloutable on the wrist. Like what legend always says, the differences to Gen are mostly academic at best.

Thanks so much for your comparisons, really love it. I’m getting the Blue Dial APSF now and probably not gonna mod it for the time being, gonna wear it OOTB. The dial is as good as it can get.

Reactions: legend

WatchNoobs

1/9/22
Nonetheless, pretty sure it’s uncalloutable on the wrist. Like what legend always says, the differences to Gen are mostly academic at best.

Thanks so much for your comparisons, really love it. I’m getting the Blue Dial APSF now and probably not gonna mod it for the time being, gonna wear it OOTB. The dial is as good as it can get.
i think the difference is more obvious in person. Its hard to capture everything on photo. At least to me, when seeing them side by side there is big difference. The tone of the blue is different, its much lighter in the APSF and the sunburst is also very different. Obviously to the average person it will still look good but for someone who understands and knows i think its a very easy tell.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
i think the difference is more obvious in person. Its hard to capture everything on photo. At least to me, when seeing them side by side there is big difference. The tone of the blue is different, its much lighter in the APSF and the sunburst is also very different. Obviously to the average person it will still look good but for someone who understands and knows i think its a very easy tell.
The color of the APSF dial isn't a tell. There are at least 3 different shades of the gen blue 15400 dial and the APSF replicates one of them well enough. You need to compare the correct shade of the gen blue dial vs the APSF one to understand the meaningful difference. What you have in hand is not THE gen blue 15400 dial but one of the variants.

WatchNoobs

1/9/22
The color of the APSF dial isn't a tell. There are at least 3 different shades of the gen blue 15400 dial and the APSF replicates one of them well enough. You need to compare the correct shade of the gen blue dial vs the APSF one to understand the meaningful difference. What you have in hand is not THE gen blue 15400 dial but one of the variants.
Interesting! do you have a comparison of the different shades of blue? Given your comments I would assume, there is a lighter shade which could be the one from APSF, the darker one (the one i have) and maybe a one that has a stronger metallic effect? Cheers!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Interesting! do you have a comparison of the different shades of blue? Given your comments I would assume, there is a lighter shade which could be the one from APSF, the darker one (the one i have) and maybe a one that has a stronger metallic effect? Cheers!
You can easily do a search online for the variations. Your gen dial is actually a transition one with the new logo but the older color, possibly from late 2016 to mid 2017. The latest 15400 blue dial comes with a much deeper blue which looks completely different from either of the dials you have shown. Your observations are valid though, but you do need to be aware you are comparing the APSF dial vs a single variant so to comment on color accuracy you need to know which variant the APSF dial is replicating. I know it is not the latest gen dial so that leaves 2 other possibilities.
One thing though: whichever gen dial it is, the APSF dial will not measure up in terms of the refined quality of the tapisseries and also the surface finish. I do maintain, that the differences in a real life "on the wrist" setting will be largely academic. When the dial is installed on a watch and is under a crystal about 3-5 ft away, it will not be possible to call it out as a rep for most.
Extract the dial and place them side by side, and the differences become obvious in a forum setting, for discussion purposes. The quality of a gen AP Royal Oak dial cannot be replicated well even today, but remains visually passable on the wrist in real life. Thank you for sharing, your observations remain valid for the variation of the gen dial you are using.

WatchNoobs

1/9/22
You can easily do a search online for the variations. Your gen dial is actually a transition one with the new logo but the older color, possibly from late 2016 to mid 2017. The latest 15400 blue dial comes with a much deeper blue which looks completely different from either of the dials you have shown. Your observations are valid though, but you do need to be aware you are comparing the APSF dial vs a single variant so to comment on color accuracy you need to know which variant the APSF dial is replicating. I know it is not the latest gen dial so that leaves 2 other possibilities.
One thing though: whichever gen dial it is, the APSF dial will not measure up in terms of the refined quality of the tapisseries and also the surface finish. I do maintain, that the differences in a real life "on the wrist" setting will be largely academic. When the dial is installed on a watch and is under a crystal about 3-5 ft away, it will not be possible to call it out as a rep for most.
Extract the dial and place them side by side, and the differences become obvious in a forum setting, for discussion purposes. The quality of a gen AP Royal Oak dial cannot be replicated well even today, but remains visually passable on the wrist in real life. Thank you for sharing, your observations remain valid for the variation of the gen dial you are using.
agree with you! thank you for sharing, I appreciate it. Learning something new everyday.

Reactions: d3xophen

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
This is an example of the latest 15400 dial (circa 2018), which comes with a blue which is more vibrant and deeper in color.
The 2015 blue dial and 2016-2017 blue dial are both different, with logo and color variations as well.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
agree with you! thank you for sharing, I appreciate it. Learning something new everyday.
None of us, not one, has perfect knowledge in this hobby and nobody should pretend to do so.
We are all here to learn and I really appreciate threads like yours too. It takes effort and time to post your observations with nice accompanying clear pictures.
A guy I will like to give a shout out to in this arena is @j21 that guy certainly knows how to build a very good 15400 franken. Of course like everyone else he is limited to the parts available in the market but the dude knows his ways around the gen parts variations like a pro.

WatchNoobs

1/9/22
This is an example of the latest 15400 dial (circa 2018), which comes with a blue which is more vibrant and deeper in color.
The 2015 blue dial and 2016-2017 blue dial are both different, with logo and color variations as well.

you can also tell by the "swiss made" print, looks different from the previous versions.

Reactions: kidcreole and DCist