• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Automatic watches

kevin123

Horology Curious
23/9/12
So I've ordered a watch with the Asian 2386 movement but I don't plan on wearing it everyday. Read bits about winders? What are they? Will I need one?

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
So I've ordered a watch with the Asian 2386 movement but I don't plan on wearing it everyday. Read bits about winders? What are they? Will I need one?

No. Wind your automatics at least once every couple of weeks... they'll be fine..

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
I have a really nice 4 speed, 4 watch winder. I swear to God, no matter what I do, after a few days, all the watches have different times on them, LOL

Yay winders!

templeton

19/11/11
If you wear more than a couple watches in rotation, and don't want to be bothered to reset them after they've sat unworn for a couple of days, a winder can be a handy.

Of course the tradeoff is that you have to be bothered to actually put your watch back on the winder after you're done with it.

redrising

I'm Pretty Popular
23/4/12
Is it damaging to let your automatic "die"? I don't own a winder and switch watches once per week.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Is it damaging to let your automatic "die"? I don't own a winder and switch watches once per week.
No - it's not damaging. But every month or two you should give your automatic and mechanical watches a little wind and let them run at least 30 minutes to keep the mechanism lubricated and loose.